DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using the M3’s camera while not in flight

Would be interested if they had a version for the RC Pro
They do. Just select "For Mavic 3 Cine" from the options, instead of "For Mavic 3 Standard." My biggest concern is all the weight hanging off a single point of attachment from the front of the RC Pro. I ordered it anyway. I can't see using it by the handles, though. I plan to hold it by the RC Pro, so I have control over the camera zoom and gimbal elevation, just like when flying, even though the yaw would be manual. The tripod screw for a monopod (or tripod) support seems to solve the problem. A monopod will offset the weight from a fixed shooting position, while easily enabling yawing.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoelP
Not that I have a right to participate in this debate as I have neither drone but I think Mini 3 is an apt term for the mini 3 pro. The reason being three fold
1) there is no "mini 3" so I see no need for the additional "Pro" in DJI's chosen name.
2) the term "Mini 2" seems to have been accepted for the Mini 2 with no need to abbreviate it to M2.
3) I would not be surprised to see a Mavic 3 Pro somewhere in the not too distant future and since the Mavic 3 has an existing accepted abbreviation of "M3" it would seem logical to me to reserve "M3P" in anticipation of the arrival of a Mavic 3 Pro.
Using DJI's choice of proper names is essential for clear communication, even if you disagree with DJI's choice of wording. New Mini 3 Pro users are already using M3 as an acronym for their aircraft because other people are neglecting to add the Pro to the end of the Mini 3 Pro. Please don't encourage this. Speculating about a future version of an aircraft that does not yet exist is a poor excuse to create confusion today among the aircraft that already do exist. We'll figure that out if and when it comes about.

Reactions: Torque
Please don’t shorten Mini 3 Pro to Mini 3, because as soon as you do, people resort to calling it the M3, creating the very confusion we are seeing! It's proper name is the Mini 3 Pro, and if they then shorten it to the M3P, there will still be no confusion, as there is no Mavic 3 Pro.
who cares! blame it on DJI.... MI3P and MA3P would work though! LOL...

I’ve used both a Mavic Air 2 and an Autel Evo as a walking gimbal. No issues with overheating. I have also thought about attaching the MA2 on some kind of ‘stick’ to the roof of my car so that I can do a mock fly through our town’s main shopping areas without running foul of the sky gods. Haven’t yet figured out the safest way to mount it.
Good to know! Thank you.

Reactions: RobW01
I’ve used both a Mavic Air 2 and an Autel Evo as a walking gimbal. No issues with overheating. I have also thought about attaching the MA2 on some kind of ‘stick’ to the roof of my car so that I can do a mock fly through our town’s main shopping areas without running foul of the sky gods. Haven’t yet figured out the safest way to mount it.
Question: did you unfold the drone and turn it and the RC on as if you were going to fly it, and then fold it up and start recording? Curious how you logistically went about doing the recording.

Question: did you unfold the drone and turn it and the RC on as if you were going to fly it, and then fold it up and start recording? Curious how you logistically went about doing the recording.
I unfolded it, took off the gimbal cover, started the controller and then the drone. Once it had finished its startup routine I pressed Record and went walking, holding the drone under its belly. When finished I stopped recording before turning off the drone and then the controller. You probably could do it with the arms folded—didn’t try. One thing I was very conscious of was not hitting Takeoff, but if you were really worried about that you could take off the props.

Perhaps this solution is less expensive that the DJI Pocket gimbals, but the Pocket is far more convenient once you get used to its unintuitive UI.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica