DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using "un-activated" S8+ for control monitor ?

JOE CHRONIC

Reactions
Hey Guyz,
I'm using a cellphone I bought off craigslist, Samsung Galaxy S8+ not activated, no cell service.
Works great as a monitor but if I were to loose my drone the "find my drone" feature does not work unless you
get the phone back to a wi-fi location for the map to show where the drone is.

Anyone else using no-service cell phones for a monitor?

I've used a Wi-Fi only mini4 since 2017 with no problems.

but if I were to loose my drone the "find my drone" feature does not work

If the phone has GPS, It may work?

I don't think you need cell service for the compass/GPS to work.

The Wi-Fi mini4 doesn't have a GPS chip in it, just a compass, so I couldn't find my drone if I did happen to loose it.

I might be able to hot spot my phone and tether the mini4 to it to find my drone. ?

Hey Guyz,
I'm using a cellphone I bought off craigslist, Samsung Galaxy S8+ not activated, no cell service.
Works great as a monitor but if I were to loose my drone the "find my drone" feature does not work unless you

Use your regular cellphone as a hotspot to provide WiFI to your S8+.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Hey Guyz,

I did that for a while. I used my old phone (Nexus 6P) and my current phone (at the time), a S8+ as a hotspot. The case of the S8+ didn't fit well into the remote. I ended up trading the S8+ for a Note 20 Ultra and getting a tablet holder and retired the Nexus. It was simpler for me to just use the phone with service.

Thanks for the replys, I understand it does work as I am using it this way now, just wondering how you would attempt to use the find my drone feature if needed, my guess is that you would need to get WIFI SIGNAL to the un-activated phone (I don't have the hotspot option on my cell phone)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DvrkDrone