DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vacation questions

Steve R

Reactions
Heading out for a 10 day vacation (road trip) in a week or so, and as a newbie, have two questions:

1- Should I re-calibrate the compass each time I visit a new location and prepare to fly? (My trip will be mostly northbound from my home location, FL)

2- Is it safe, and good for the batteries to charge then all up prior to leaving, then recharge each time I fly? I want to always have ready batteries when I make a stop, and not need to wait for charging before flying.

Thanks for any advice!

Should I re-calibrate the compass each time I visit a new location and prepare to fly?
It won't hurt to calibrate the compass, but you shouldn't have to do that. See the Mavic Compass Calibration Guide for the best known practices.

Is it safe, and good for the batteries to charge then all up prior to leaving, then recharge each time I fly? I want to always have ready batteries when I make a stop, and not need to wait for charging before flying.
It's safe, but not good to keep your batteries fully charged at all times. In this case though, it makes sense to keep them fully charged since you'll only be using them for a 10-day period and they need to be ready at a moment's notice.

Reactions: Mossiback
It won't hurt to calibrate the compass, but you shouldn't have to do that. See the Mavic Compass Calibration Guide for the best known practices.

It's safe, but not good to keep your batteries fully charged at all times. In this case though, it makes sense to keep them fully charged since you'll only be using them for a 10-day period and they need to be ready at a moment's notice.

Thanks! I always keep the batteries at 30% when stored, and was concerned about having them fully charged for an extended time.

Heading out for a 10 day vacation (road trip) in a week or so, and as a newbie, have two questions:

...2- Is it safe, and good for the batteries to charge then all up prior to leaving, then recharge each time I fly? I want to always have ready batteries when I make a stop, and not need to wait for charging before flying....
Since it is a road trip, charge before leaving so they are ready when needed. A car charger will be a handy option to have. Don't forget that you will also need to keep your RC charged. Your DJI charger plugged into an inverter can charge your batteries and RC while driving.

Since it is a road trip, charge before leaving so they are ready when needed. A car charger will be a handy option to have. Don't forget that you will also need to keep your RC charged. Your DJI charger plugged into an inverter can charge your batteries and RC while driving.

Thanks! great idea, as my truck has a built in 120v inverter.... Drive and charge!!!

But as it states in the Mavic Manual, only do a compass or IMU calibration "if prompted too"

I check my sensor status/ both compasses, and IMU readings every time I spool up and hover for a minute or two. all green? Good to go.

I have never seen a calibration prompt on my AC, in 19 months of ownership, and ZERO updates done to it.

If not done properly, you can really mess up an AC.

I have never seen a calibration prompt on my AC, in 19 months of ownership, and ZERO updates done to it.
Right on. That's why that mention in the manual is kind of silly. The Mavic Air is the only DJI drone that has ever prompted me to calibrate the compass.

If not done properly, you can really mess up an AC.
You shouldn't be able to complete a bad compass calibration. If you attempt to do so (just for testing purposes), the DJI GO app will tell you the calibration failed (instead of storing bad values and messing up the AC).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22