DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very basic confusion

KingRat

Reactions
I am confused completely - I have read too much on it. Can someone put in a nutshell what I need to do to film video please?

I am in the UK - frames per second to display properly, both on the camera and then on the video editing. I thought they should both be the same, but people (and camera makers) state 30, 60, 120 and even 250 frames per second and that has totally floored me. I can't understand why the differences. Sorry - yes I probably am thick. I am asking here because I have just completely confused myself by searching for the answer and reading and watching so many yoo toobs and stuff.

In general.
The film industry uses 24 FPS in the USA – Europe – 25 FPS
The shutter speed / Framerate – 30FPS – 1/60 = twice the shutter speed.
MP4 if you have a PC – MOV for Mac but I don’t think it’s important these days.
H.264 for less powerful computor’s – H.265 for fast computor’s.
Dlog if you want to colour grade Normal if you don’t.
Neutral density filters are used so you can get correct exposure without setting the ISO above 100.

If you are wondering where it is in the app/flight screen, then touch the small film icon on the right side of the screen. As an example, you can select 1080p/30 fps (video) and you will shoot in HD (and use much less disc space than say 4K/60).
If that is confusing, just use the defaults and it should work just fine (and live with whatever the file sizes are).

....Neutral density filters are used so you can get correct exposure without setting the ISO above 100.
Hello Cyborg:

I’m not sure, but if everything else is equal (shutter speed, f stop, etc) and I add a neutral density filter - won’t I end up with a higher ISO to get the same image?

Howard

In general.
The film industry uses 24 FPS in the USA – Europe – 25 FPS
The shutter speed / Framerate – 30FPS – 1/60 = twice the shutter speed.
MP4 if you have a PC – MOV for Mac but I don’t think it’s important these days.
H.264 for less powerful computor’s – H.265 for fast computor’s.
Dlog if you want to colour grade Normal if you don’t.
Neutral density filters are used so you can get correct exposure without setting the ISO above 100.
Cheers chap - again.

HD 1080 at 30fps for the camera.
Then set the shutter at 1/30th or 1/60th max using the NDs to control exposure.

I am still struggling to work the editing of clips together.. one thing at a time!

Reactions: Howard70
I am confused completely - I have read too much on it. Can someone put in a nutshell what I need to do to film video please?

I am in the UK - frames per second to display properly, both on the camera and then on the video editing. I thought they should both be the same, but people (and camera makers) state 30, 60, 120 and even 250 frames per second and that has totally floored me. I can't understand why the differences. Sorry - yes I probably am thick. I am asking here because I have just completely confused myself by searching for the answer and reading and watching so many yoo toobs and stuff.
My fallback settings are 24 frames per second for both filming and editing in Premiere Pro. I also do all of my timelapse software settings and rendering at the same frame rate. I film everything at 4K. So, 24 frames per second and 4K. Once you bring your clip into the editing software, the software should recognize the frame rate. In Premiere you can alter the frame rate by going into the sequence, and then the settings. It works for me, but of course, I am not expert enough yet to experiment with slow motion, speed ramping, etc.

I have a few favorite You Tube films on settings, such as Jeff Greene and Vic VideoPic. Just got to You Tube and search for these two creators. Hope this will help you.

Dale
Miami,Fl.

Last edited:
This may help explain differences: Frame Rate: A Beginner's Guide | TechSmith

I use the Adobe Premiere Elements 2020 for video production. It permits me to tweak the video frame rates to darn near anything I want. So, I could take that 120 fps video and slow it down to 60 fps if I desired. It would produce a slow motion effect by doing so. Instead on taking one frame to view it would now take 2 frames. Intense action shots are where this comes in. Such as a vehicle race or a sporting event. NFL goes even further than 120 fps for clear and precise video.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingRat
An ND filter lets you use e slower shutter speed so you can stay at twice the frame rate.
I am not good at explaining things so I hope this video helps.

That's Cyborg,
That video is perfect for understanding the nd filter. There is quite a bit of info for nd filters out there but never new it was primarily for motion blur.

I'm a Premiere Pro user for editing but have started to rethink it. DaVinci Resolve has added more and more features that I think puts it on par with Premiere and it is more intuitive to edit with in my opinion. I've gone through all the tutorials with Premiere on Lynda.com but DaVinci seems to be easier to understand for a newbie. Plus it's free for the basic program (although I'd hardly call it basic). Just a thought once you start to get into editing.

I'm a Premiere Pro user for editing but have started to rethink it. DaVinci Resolve has added more and more features that I think puts it on par with Premiere and it is more intuitive to edit with in my opinion. I've gone through all the tutorials with Premiere on Lynda.com but DaVinci seems to be easier to understand for a newbie. Plus it's free for the basic program (although I'd hardly call it basic). Just a thought once you start to get into editing.
Much obliged. I have got Davinci Resolve on my computer. I am trying to watch the tutorial sessions (chap with a nice soft voice and a beard) to try to start editing. I haven't worked out how to get a clip into the editor yet, I have had several people try to explain it too - I need someone to actually show me. I can't retain stuff very well from just watching a video. I wasn't brought up to learn that way and it is just a sticking point. The threat of the cane for getting your sums wrong was the kind of incentive I had! I got caned plenty of times.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Much obliged. I have got Davinci Resolve on my computer. I am trying to watch the tutorial sessions (chap with a nice soft voice and a beard) to try to start editing. I haven't worked out how to get a clip into the editor yet, I have had several people try to explain it too - I need someone to actually show me. I can't retain stuff very well from just watching a video. I wasn't brought up to learn that way and it is just a sticking point. The threat of the cane for getting your sums wrong was the kind of incentive I had! I got caned plenty of times.
There's tutorials for each section on the Black Magic website that go into some good detail without getting too technical. As well as a 3000+ page manual if you need that kind of intensive information.

There's tutorials for each section on the Black Magic website that go into some good detail without getting too technical. As well as a 3000+ page manual if you need that kind of intensive information.
I need actual tuition. If someone sat beside me and showed me, I would be away. Often I find, when our lad comes round, he tries to help and he can see things on the screen that I can't. Then when he points them out I see them. Screens are so busy I can't see it all. The other hting that limits it is the actual design - blue on grey, is invisible, for instance. So the 'clever designer' who thinks they are being ever so trendy actually renders stuff so I can't physically see it.

If all you want to do is take videos, just leave the setting in auto mode and shoot. The results will be more than acceptable for home viewing.

Reactions: KingRat
If all you want to do is take videos, just leave the setting in auto mode and shoot. The results will be more than acceptable for home viewing.
But I still need to be able to join the clips together. It was very easy with the old Movie Maker on Windows 7. I still have that, but it only works up to 1080.

But I still need to be able to join the clips together.
That's what an editing program is for. All of this talk about camera settings has little to no bearing on the editing process. You can either do it in the app or on a PC. I have never done editing either in the Fly app or on a phone/tablet as I find it too tedious, it's always on a PC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ