DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very first video attempt

Steverunner

Reactions
OK, here's my very first attempt at putting together some video from my Mavic. Still learning about the drone and the video software. I still have to play around with the drone camera settings, filters, etc. And the VSDC Pro software has a learning curve. I made the same video using Windows Live Movie Maker and the transitions were better, and I was able to add the final belly flop in slow-mo, but the resolution and quality was worse. So I re-did it with VSDC but have not mastered the slow mo and fade-in/out yet. Or zooming.

Filming people jumping off the rock was fairly simple, but I especially need practicing the active track features as we tube, ski, surf. So far the drone has been too high and the images too far away, and the subject being tracked gets dropped due to the wash from the wake. I may try it closer to 20-30 feet high, in trace mode.

Only issues launching off the boat have been IMU calibration when its choppy. And the twin engines and wake tower can create magnetic interference.

Reactions: Tony56
Filming skiers, tubes, and wakeboard has always been easier for me from in front. When you are directly in front, the drone is slower to react to changes in distance. I always keep the drone off to one side and alternate back and forth. I also make sure to keep the drone on the inside of turns so that the skier or whatever doesn't outrun the drone.

You can get pretty close to the person being pulled, but if they change directions, like on skis or a wakeboard, then you'll lose them in the frame. Plan out a routine in advance so you both can prepare for each turn.

I personally started on tubes, since they are the easiest to track. You can get hella close to them!!!

First tip - when girls show up in swimming suits you want to pull in closer, not back away :).

Seriously though, you can try:
• Starting out away and high above to show the area and then drop in close for the action. Pull in close enough so you only see the jumpers and their landings, the rest is just distraction.
• Check the exposure so the whites are not washed out.
• Set the focus manually.
• Try moving around a little in tripod or cinematic mode. Be careful though; it is so easy to lose track of the trees if you are only watching the screen.
• Dampen your gimbal wheel for smoother movements. It is somewhere in Go 4.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98