DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vibration at Take Off

DJM911

Reactions
Hi all,

As you know I am new to the drone scene, and had my Mini out for its 2nd and 3rd flights on Tuesday there.

I noticed on take off this very strange vibration for about 5-10 secs while hoovering on take off setting (few feet above the ground), then it leaves and hoovers normal, flying fine etc.

The device is brand new and as said only flown 3 times (each fight no longer than 10 mins each). No crashes, no damages, everything looks fine and props freely moving with no marks etc.

The weather was very cold around 1 degree, would that be an issue?

Just want to make sure I am not overlooking something.

Thanks for the help!

Sounds like you have a problem with the props on it ... 1 degree (assume Celsius) would also generate ice on the wing and not be an optimum temp for your battery ... does it do the same if say you took off indoors after things had warmed up battery wise?

Sounds like you have a problem with the props on it ... 1 degree (assume Celsius) would also generate ice on the wing and not be an optimum temp for your battery ... does it do the same if say you took off indoors after things had warmed up battery wise?
I haven't tried it since, the weather is a bit warmer so I may try again later today to see if its the same or if the cold was causing issues. Never thought about temperatures causing issues to be fair, all a learning process.

Reactions: Gkinghrn
I agree.... Always check your props.

Start it up on level ground and see if it shakes.

Then check to see if the props are okay if it does it again.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Hi all,

As you know I am new to the drone scene, and had my Mini out for its 2nd and 3rd flights on Tuesday there.

I noticed on take off this very strange vibration for about 5-10 secs while hoovering on take off setting (few feet above the ground), then it leaves and hoovers normal, flying fine etc.

The device is brand new and as said only flown 3 times (each fight no longer than 10 mins each). No crashes, no damages, everything looks fine and props freely moving with no marks etc.

The weather was very cold around 1 degree, would that be an issue?

Just want to make sure I am not overlooking something.

Thanks for the help!

Yes we have noticed a Chatter in the extreme cold temps, but just to be on the safe side, you should be able to fly it from inside the house after its been warmed up for a day without chatter,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain / Snow

Indoors start the motors using the CSC command then let them idle. Carefully reach under the blades and touch each arm end with a finger tip. There will probably be a slight vibration but it should be similar for all the motors. I do this in flight too but that is perhaps for a later time when you have more familiarity with the drone.
If this is literally brand new the blade screws should all be correctly installed but it might be a good idea to visually check that they all sit at the same height (with respect to the top of their motor) and angle. If they differ then there is something is wrong. Do not worry if the motors themselves look tilted.
It might also be worth checking that the motors are not loose on their arms.

One other point, the Mavic Mini is prone to propellor blade deformation if 'incorrectly stored',
Whilst I do not think deformation would cause vibration it might be worth comparing all your props with new UNUSED props, if you have any, to see if the 'old' props have been flattened or deformed in storage.
Compare the pitch/(angle-of-the-blade-from-front-to-back) and the profile (crescent shape),
I am not certain about how significant the height of the blade tip relevant to the hub is i.e. how much a blade has been 'bent'.
Did you buy just a drone and single battery or the flymore which comes with a 'hard' case? Deformation was, I believe, more of a problem with the flymore case, hence my asking. I modified my flymore case to cure the storage problem but there are many 'solutions' and a load of threads concerning the deformation and cures.

Depending on what version of the app you have on your phone (pre 1.2. something hopefully) it might be worth flying a "check flight" indoors. The room needs to be well lit and the flying area clear of things that can be blown away or flap in the down draught.
Basically you take off and hover for a minute or so then land. Note do not move the drone horizontally or turn/yaw it. It is suggested that the automated take off be used but have taken off by throttling up. I tend to land by closing the throttle. It might be better to be ready to take command of the drone on your first attempts until you see if the drone has an initial drift on take off.
Once you have a successful flight access the DAT flight log file on the phone.
Instructions for accessing the logs can be found on
DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help & Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide
and post the DAT file on here or open it yourself using CsvView CsvView Downloads and look at the motor speed charts.
The motor speeds should all be similar though the rear motors generally turn slightly faster than the front due to their carrying more weight. Perversely it is the rear props that tend to get deformed but they then run significantly faster that the fronts.

If you are on App v1.2.something the Logs may unfortunately be encrypted, in that case keep an eye out for motor speed and max power warnings in the app.

Reactions: eaglesurfing
Hi all,

Quick update... Finally got back to flying my drone over last couple of days.

I haven't tried an indoor flight - not confident to do so lol

However I have tried another two outdoor short flights and the weather is a lot warmer with virtually no wind, still same vibration for about 5 seconds at hoover take off height, then it leaves the drone while hoovering... I have then flew it normally and don't see any further vibration issues... I checked all firmware was up to date on last flight and have carried out compass calibration etc.

I also visually inspected the props for marking (no marks at all), checked prop screws are tight and physically felt the blades etc. All seems ok to me - with the little knowledge I have.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143