DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video and Stills unreadable

Mavic Mania

Reactions
OK . . . So I'm a newbie and I've been flying my new replacement Mini from my backyard. After the first Mini would not connect to my phone, I was able to get the replacement one to work and have made several flights, albeit, I do often get several Controller disconnects and have to fly the drone home using the Fly Home mode. I've captured successfully, several videos but tonight, something weird happened. I decided to take the drone straight up about a 100 feet or so to capture the sunset and I thought, I would also try to capture some photos along with shooting video; up to this point, I've only done video.

So I took the drone off in video mode, hitting the red left button on the controller and observed the counter, so I was filming successfully. Then, several times throughout the video, I hit the right Photo button, assuming I was successfully capturing still photos, in the midst of also continuing shooting video.

But . . . when I pulled the card from the drone and inserted it into my netbook, the Icon looked totally different from what I would normally see. When I clicked on it, I got an unreadable error message, which was disappointing to say the least. The card had only one 5 minute video previously stored on it, so it was practically empty. Any ideas ???

1604279186064.png

You can’t take pictures while you are videoing .
Its one or the other.

The corrupt file/s can be a common thing if you don't end the video before shutting off the drone. Try putting the card back in the drone, start it all up and start then stop a video. Usually that will fix any corrupted files. Basically it finishes the file. This was the fix for Autel drones that got corrupted files. Might work in your case.

The corrupt file/s can be a common thing if you don't end the video before shutting off the drone. Try putting the card back in the drone, start it all up and start then stop a video. Usually that will fix any corrupted files. Basically it finishes the file. This was the fix for Autel drones that got corrupted files. Might work in your case.
True but you cannot take photos while you are videoing.
That is what his post was about.

So . . . let me throw this out there to see if I understand what you are explaining to me. Can I shoot both Video and Still images on the same flight if I press the video On . . . then press the video Off, then press the Photo button once for each photo? Or . . . on a given flight, can you only shoot video or only shoot still photos. Sorry . . . I'm a complete Newbie :O

Oh . . . forgot to mention. Yes, the phone did disconnect on this flight, so I wasn't able to terminate the video as you normally would, that likely explains what happened. If you could offer me specifics on how to shoot video and still images on the same flight, I would most appreciate it ;) Is it possible to shoot both video and photos on the same flight, or is it strictly only one or the other? In other words. If I am shooting video then stop the video by hitting the red button, can I then press the right button to shoot still photos?

I agree but there is a corrupt file there. THAT file might be able to be fixed. That file is probably the video that he took and it got corrupted so what I said may or may not fix that specific file.

Reactions: dirkclod
Oh . . . forgot to mention. Yes, the phone did disconnect on this flight, so I wasn't able to terminate the video as you normally would, that likely explains what happened. If you could offer me specifics on how to shoot video and still images on the same flight, I would most appreciate it ;) Is it possible to shoot both video and photos on the same flight, or is it strictly only one or the other?
Yes you can do both you just can’t take pictures while you are videoing. Stop videoing Then you can switch to taking pictures by
hitting the right clicker.

I agree but there is a corrupt file there. THAT file might be able to be fixed. That file is probably the video that he took and it got corrupted so what I said may or may not fix that specific file.
Agree, he kinda had 2 issues in one post.

Yes you can do both you just can’t take pictures while you are videoing. Stop videoing Then you can switch to taking pictures by
hitting the right clicker.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! That totally clears it up for me! I appreciate your helping me out! So . . . on this flight I had two issue: One was Operator error in NOT understanding I had to click the video off before attempting to shoot photos. The second issue was, the phone had disconnected, so I was unable to terminate the video properly, which I believe resulted in a corrupted file. Oh well . . . there will be more sunsets to film . . .

Reactions: dirkclod
You Sir have totally earned the nickname G&G . . . you are both a GENTLEMAN and a GENIUS. I performed the scenario you suggested and was able to restore the video, THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS! Also, I learned a few things here. Doing this operation in my kitchen, I was able to quite easily grasp how to transition from video to photo and from photo to video, shooting pictures of my Sphynx Cat on the countertop! I could easily hear the "Shutter Sound" when clicking the right button for photos and then learned, you need to hit the red button twice to get back to shooting video, once to exit out of photo and enter video, then a second press of the button to begin the video. So simple when you try it on the ground.

I also learned a bit more about my Connection issues I've been having with my LG V20 phone. When I power on the controller, I need to hold the button down a bit longer after the second press, I think I was doing that too quickly and the controller wasn't fully booting up.

Thanks again so very much for helping me out this evening, it is very much appreciated!

You Sir have totally earned the nickname G&G . . . you are both a GENTLEMAN and a GENIUS. I performed the scenario you suggested and was able to restore the video, THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS! Also, I learned a few things here. Doing this operation in my kitchen, I was able to quite easily grasp how to transition from video to photo and from photo to video, shooting pictures of my Sphynx Cat on the countertop! I could easily hear the "Shutter Sound" when clicking the right button for photos and then learned, you need to hit the red button twice to get back to shooting video, once to exit out of photo and enter video, then a second press of the button to begin the video. So simple when you try it on the ground.

I also learned a bit more about my Connection issues I've been having with my LG V20 phone. When I power on the controller, I need to hold the button down a bit longer after the second press, I think I was doing that too quickly and the controller wasn't fully booting up.

Thanks again so very much for helping me out this evening, it is very much appreciated!
Well you just made my night and inflated my noggin LOL. Very glad to help and glad you got it all figured out!!

Reactions: Mavic Mania
If you alter the card in any way, including possibly reading the card with Windows, the quick fix might not work.

However all is not lost as the raw video data is there, just not the header that defines it. There's a process using two utilities that will repair the video. This saved me a few times.

Also you can always control the video and photo from the remote even without the phone, though you can't easily tell if you're in record or not, being the button is a toggle.

Sounds like you have a flaky USB cable or flaky USB port on your phone if you keep getting RC disconnects.

If you alter the card in any way, including possibly reading the card with Windows, the quick fix might not work.

However all is not lost as the raw video data is there, just not the header that defines it. There's a process using two utilities that will repair the video. This saved me a few times.

Also you can always control the video and photo from the remote even without the phone, though you can't easily tell if you're in record or not, being the button is a toggle.

Sounds like you have a flaky USB cable or flaky USB port on your phone if you keep getting RC disconnects.
Read above... OPs problem is solved.... reason is posted above.

Thanks, I was able to capture the video using the fix suggested in post #3.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots