DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video delivery to client..Question

You know that you can actually install a server on your own machine and host the files (edited or un-edited) for no cost right? Apache WebServer is a free download and there are numerous videos on Youtube instructing one on the proper setup process.

You can setup permissions and share the video / photos however you like and to whomever you like. Branded , Unbranded , with Fries , Without.

The only drawback is your current broadband upload speed and having that speed diminish as others outside of your network access those videos simultaneously. Your internet speed could diminish greatly during peak times of access. Might be worth a try to see if its "liveable" or contact your ISP and pay the extra for faster upload speeds. Bet is lots less than $1200 whopping dollars a year.
Yeah, I read all about hosting yourself and the exact situation regarding quality speed you may encounter by doing so.. Would probably stay away from that. My wife already gets [Language Removed by Moderator] at me, internet speed decreasing while she is working didn't sound good to me..lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! That Desplode site that Brett posted seems like the perfect solution. Be wary that once you upload those videos it may currently be no cost , but they can hold those videos ransom and start charging in the future.

I dont get thier (Desplodes) business model? Server space and bandwidth is not free.
That does sound great... Thanks Brett... I would worry about free for how long, but, if he went free, he probably wouldn't go too crazy.. Thank you.. looks promising..

24 hours for a turnaround seems like a lifetime though... especially if your trying to deliver quickly, or worse, if there was a problem and you didn't get notice for 24hrs.. That could be a deal breaker.. but good to know it's there as a lifeline... for now..

You could contact your hosting company and say if you are at 10 Mbps You could bump it to 20 Mbps. Then configure Apache to only allow up to 10 Mbps download of files. That way there is no perceivable degradation of service on your home network.

You would need a dedicated machine to host nothing but the video / photo content so thats an additional cost unless you have one currently you could dedicate.

Yes I am an IT God that is guilty of hosting his own "box" (as we called it back in the day) from his closet. :) I actually ran my server on Debian Lunix as it was much less processor and ram demanding than Windoze.
Im letting my true computer geek nature poke out a bit here. :)

I did this so I could have an email address that originated from my own domain and I could manage all of my shared files (way before Hilary had her IT Guy do it for her) LOL

You could contact your hosting company and say if you are at 10 Mbps You could bump it to 20 Mbps. Then configure Apache to only allow up to 10 Mbps download of files. That way there is no perceivable degradation of service on your home network.

You would need a dedicated machine to host nothing but the video / photo content so thats an additional cost.

Yes I am an IT God that is guilty of hosting his own "box" (as we called it back in the day) from his closet. :) I actually ran my server on Debian Lunix as it was much less processor and ram demanding than Windoze.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I often wish I was you... (I.T. GOD) ;) all good info and I thank you.

You would need a dedicated machine to host nothing but the video / photo content so thats an additional cost.

Yea but then your costs have gone up even more then the Vimeo thing and you still have to provide an ongoing service for a one time price

Well not really. Once a house sells there is no need or want that I can determine that would have a realtor or buyer access a home that is no longer on the market. Those videos / photos would no longer be shared or accessible. So the access time is finite and not infinite. You thought you had me there huh? :p

Don't take this the wrong way, but I often wish I was you... (I.T. GOD) ;) all good info and I thank you.

Your not alone I assure you. Thats why they used to pay me the "big bucks" ! :) Before India came in and offered to do it for chuckle chips.

Your not alone I assure you. Thats why they used to pay me the "big bucks" ! :) Before India came in and offered to do it for chuckle chips.
Most all of my "India" IT experience has been awful... That's what you get for cheap...

Your point about once the home sells is valid, but if that home sits for 9 months, and a lot do, I could see issues..

Still finite. They all sell eventually. :) It all depends on how much you ISP will charge for additional upload speed on your end. It may be well worth it after you weight the costs.

Yeah Rasheed with a marble under his tongue to sounds English speaking is a far cry from very knowledgeable IT staff. The bottom line is what the investors see and thats all management cared about.

Can someone tell me where in the instructions it will show me how to change the distances from meters to feet?

Can someone tell me where in the instructions it will show me how to change the distances from meters to feet?

Technically this is referred to "hijacking a thread" LOL.

Within DJI GO4 app under General Settings

Here you go anyway @Black Bart

dji-go-png.43810

I just contacted my ISP to determine what it would cost (Charter) . I can get triple the download speed (300 Mps) and double the Upload Speed (20 Mps) for $20.00 a month. $240 a year.

I just contacted my ISP to determine what it would cost (Charter) . I can get triple the download speed (300 Mps) and double the Upload Speed (20 Mps) for $20.00 a month. $240 a year.

*Insert JEALOUS smiley here*

Reactions: BD0G
Running your own server raises red flags for me. Server farms at hosting companies have multiple levels of redundancy and backup services that reduce down time and offer much greater consistency than most can handle. Even restarts can shut it down at critical times. For example if your power is out and your not on a generator your site is down for the count. I self hosted a photo gallery site for several years for under 50/yr with my own chosen domain name. If consiancy of service is a valuable part of customer service you better have some significant ducks in a row. Maintenance of a commercially viable server is no simple task for a novice or moderately capable person. Steep learning curves.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: mereflyer
Good points and we are not talking about mission critical data here.

I can count the number of times we have had power outages here and can do so on one hand in the last 3 years. Strangely I can track them based on my home automation hub which is on and connected 24/7 to the internet. When its down then the power is out and it automatically logs its down date/ time / duration to the cloud.

Of those few outages only one of them kept us down for over 10 minutes.

A simple UPS which most should use anyway will allow the server to power down gracefully and not corrupt data.

Good points and we are not talking about mission critical data here.

I can count the number of times we have had power outages here and can do so on one hand in the last 3 years. Strangely I can track them based on my home automation hub which is on and connected 24/7 to the internet. When its down then the power is out and it automatically logs its down date/ time / duration to the cloud.

Of those few outages only one of them kept us down for over 10 minutes.

A simple UPS which most should use anyway will allow the server to power down gracefully and not corrupt data.
I wish that were the case here. I have two generators and a transfer switch and often have to deal with no power for 1-2 days. What's more, PG&E is now planning to have planned power outages during the September-October high wind season to prevent what happened in two of the last four years where thousands lost their homes and lives.

So, for some of us, keeping a server up is not a simple proposition, and a UPS -- even a Goal Zero, or even a "Power Wall" -- won't be enough.

Remind me not to move to the Central Coast of Commiefornia.
I really enjoyed my time there. Some great environmental contrasts all within daytrip distance. All areas of the country have their unique problems when it comes to server maintenance. What area of the US are you from?

Never mind. I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13