DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video editing software

When I had only had my M2P for about 2 weeks, I was playing with ActiveTrack and doing some video recording. I landed the drone but then walked up to it and turned it off instead of stopping recording first and THEN turning it off. The video it was recording was corrupted, no surprise. But, I got 'Stellar Repair for Video', which fixed it. I was then able to load it into Resolve (see below) and color grade it. It was nice to recover that file, you might see if a video repair utility might be able to fix it. BTW this one isn't cheap and they're pretty impressed with themselves (you'll see when you get to the website), but it worked like a champ and now i have the tool. I had another corrupted video file from before, and it fixed that one too, so so far so good, but it'll set you back $50 or so.

On video editors, while its a fairly huge load of functionality, DaVinci Resolve 16 has a free version that does 98% of what most people need. Full version if $300, which I did spring for as I wanted to also fix lens distortion and there are a few other features I wanted to play with that require the paid version. I got up to speed on it pretty quickly for easy edits and color grading (where it excels); there are tons of tutorials on using it on YouTube, I watched quite a few hours to come up to speed). It may be massive overkill though depending on what you're looking to do. When I got the M2P, I did some reading, found out about D-Log and color grading, and went to the download site at DJI to get their Rec.709 LUT, and the documentation there used DaVinci Resolve for its Windows example to show how to use the LUT, so I pretty much stumbled upon it. To me, it appears to have everything I'll ever need, and isn't a monthly subscription (and just a few months of an Adobe subscription will pay for the full Resolve License). All that said, I hope to give it a shot beyond color grading when work eases up as I'm a relative newbie with video editing (I've done lots of photography and some astroimaging in the past, lots of video capture, but not much video editing).

Agreed! I’m newish to video editing and Adobe premiere pro is too expensive and too complex. I tried a free trial and it was obvious I would have to invest hours of time learning it. It very much feels like software made for a professional, so the name fits! Too complex for the average person not creating highly produced videos on a commercial basis. That or a serious artist or student.

The corruption issue you experienced is very common I think. I’ve done it a number of times. No subscription, $300 for a perpetual license, for a good product is actually affordable given how everything has turned into a never ending monthly subscription.

That’s n
Came across a potential solution to my premiere pro not playing the game, the files I was trying to load in were shot in H.265 but I was able to import one at H.264. Anyone had this issue before?

premier pro has supported h265 since version12. No doubt what you said is correct but it’s not the core issue. The core issue is not turning off the video recorder before turning off the drone.

Agreed! I’m newish to video editing and Adobe premiere pro is too expensive and too complex. I tried a free trial and it was obvious I would have to invest hours of time learning it. It very much feels like software made for a professional, so the name fits! Too complex for the average person not creating highly produced videos on a commercial basis. That or a serious artist or student.

The corruption issue you experienced is very common I think. I’ve done it a number of times. No subscription, $300 for a perpetual license, for a good product is actually affordable given how everything has turned into a never ending monthly subscription.
The basics of video editing is virtually identical in all programs. You will have to invest time in learning your software. So go for a free editor and learn on that.

The basics of video editing is virtually identical in all programs. You will have to invest time in learning your software. So go for a free editor and learn on that.

I did just as you suggest. Relatively quickly I ran into a feature limitation and bought the paid version.

I have no stake, don’t work for any of these companies, etc.

For the non pros here who nevertheless want to create quality videos, that would be my perspective, I suggest davinci over adobe premier pro, based on price and complexity.

I tried a free trial and it was obvious I would have to invest hours of time learning it.
Actually more like months, I've used versions of Vegas Pro for 14 years plus and it took me many months to get really comfortable/fast with it.
I've had some issues with it lately (all 4K related) and tried the trial version of Premiere Pro and just to switch from Vegas Pro 17, I believe it would take me weeks to change over and be comfortable with it.
PP and VP both do the same things basically but the way all those things are executed is very different and personally I don't want to commit the time/effort to memorize all of them now that I've retired from the video production business and found such a cool new hobby.
That said, I'm going to try the free version of DaVinci and hope it's more similar to VP 17.

100% not due to me landing before stopping recording. Never done that ever. I'll work up some tests. Quite happy to shoot in h.264 if its going to work!

I will offer my recommendation. I'm new to drones and new to video production. A short time ago I knew NOTHING. I purchased (Not leased) CyberLink PowerDirector 18 Ultimate after seeing three recommendations in two days. I feel that I made a good choice. The program appears to be full-featured and pretty easy to use.

You have picked excellent software...Movavi Video Editor is also an excellent choice. Both are packed with professional features and are EASY to use.

I suggest you start experimenting using the included Transitions features to make your jumps from one video shot to the next a bit less jarring.

You have some beautiful videos and scenery.

I use Filmora 9 on my MacBook and Luma Fusion on my iPad Pro. They’re both so easy to use.

When I had only had my M2P for about 2 weeks, I was playing with ActiveTrack and doing some video recording. I landed the drone but then walked up to it and turned it off instead of stopping recording first and THEN turning it off. The video it was recording was corrupted, no surprise. But, I got 'Stellar Repair for Video', which fixed it. I was then able to load it into Resolve (see below) and color grade it. It was nice to recover that file, you might see if a video repair utility might be able to fix it. BTW this one isn't cheap and they're pretty impressed with themselves (you'll see when you get to the website), but it worked like a champ and now i have the tool. I had another corrupted video file from before, and it fixed that one too, so so far so good, but it'll set you back $50 or so.

I have done this recently and just put the card back in your Drone, fire it up and start recording. Turn off the recording this time and your files will be good to go.

I have done this recently and just put the card back in your Drone, fire it up and start recording. Turn off the recording this time and your files will be good to go.
I had recorded a few more videos on the drone, but doing more recordings and turning off the drone (a few times) didn't help in my situation, unfortunately.

Reactions: Montec

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661