DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video feed on Smart Controller briefly dropped to low bitrate

maggior

Reactions
Something I noticed when flying this past weekend was that my video feed quality degraded at one point. I think it may have been while I had it overhead closer to me. It didn't drop out or break up in any other way.

I expected when I looked at my telemetry data on AirData that I'd find a section of the flight where my controller signal degraded, but it was 100% through the entire flight.

I had my antennas oriented at a right angle with the controller as they suggest in the manual.

Is this a common occurrence? It didn't interfere with my flight but I wonder if this is indicative of some sort of signal issue.

Thanks!

At one point during my flight with the drone close by I noticed a brief glitch in the video feed and the RC control signal icon turned red. This happened when I decided to make an adjustment to my RTH height.

When I look at my telemetry data on AirData, it shows signal strength (Radio Signal) of 100% for the duration of the flight.

Not sure what is going on.

Well... It's made to radiate its RF power to the sides, so directly below you were in its poorest signal area. You did not say how high you were. Also, your remote is fairly directional. Perhaps you'd get better reception by holding it straight up when the drone is above you.

Reactions: maggior
Well... It's made to radiate its RF power to the sides, so directly below you were in its poorest signal area. You did not say how high you were. Also, your remote is fairly directional. Perhaps you'd get better reception by holding it straight up when the drone is above you.

I don't exactly recall the circumstances so I won't try to guess.

Good point about the radiation pattern of the antennas. The talk about this in the manual. Last night I put my drone right up above me to 120m to check out the sunset. I noticed that if I moved the antennas from sticking straight out from the controller to sticking straight down, I'd lose a bar on my RC signal. So that all makes sense to me know.

Perhaps it's an AirData issue, but I wonder why these RC signal fluctuations don't show up there. Looking at my AirData, it shows 100% signal throughout.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54