DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Help

Laggard

Reactions
I suspect this is a common problem but I can’t find the answer here. My mini 2 caches beautiful video to my phone. However any download from the mini sd card to my laptop looks horrific. It’s jerky, pixelated, video cuts out. I’ve transferred files from the drone to my computer via a chord and also plugged the sd card directly into the computer and transferred it. It still looks like crap. Help! Thanks. I use a sandisk extreme plus. 64G V30.

Most of the time when what's on the SD card looks bad, it's because what you're using to play it can't handle the data.

What resolution and frame rate did you record?
What equipment are you playing it on, including OS, application, CPU, memory, and graphics card?

Recall that 4K is recorded at nearly 100Mb/s, which is why you need a U3 SD card. Even 1080p is around 40Mb/s. The average MP4 or streaming video won't have that much data to contend with.

Even with recordings from my P3A at 1080p my videos would hesitate about once a second. I had a cheap video card. When I upgraded my video card, playback improved.

The cache video is only 720p to 1080p at around 4 to 8 Mb/s.

I should have mentioned that the video I recorded two weeks ago plays back smoothly and beautifully on the same computer.
HP 15
2.0 ghz
4G Ram
Windows 10 Pro

AMD Radeon R5 Graphics card. 2.0 ghz.
As far as drone camera settings, whatever the default is.
Wondering if an sd card can go bad.

Those specs would not Handle 4K video at all. You’d need a good CPU (gen 7 or higher, i5 or i7) minimum 8gb ram, 16gb is better and a high end gpu.

Those specs would not Handle 4K video at all. You’d need a good CPU (gen 7 or higher, i5 or i7) minimum 8gb ram, 16gb is better and a high end gp
Thank you! You saved my sanity. Shooting at 4K is a playback problem with my computer. I can shoot at 2k and it plays back fine. I read somewhere that few people call tell the difference anyway unless their screen is large enough.

Shooting at 4K is a playback problem with my computer. I can shoot at 2k and it plays back fine. I read somewhere that few people call tell the difference anyway unless their screen is large enough.
That is not quite true ..... Shooting in 4K and playing in 2K is better than shooting and playing in 2K. I dont know the reason but the difference is very noticeable. Of course that's assuming that the video is true 4K instead of inflated from lower resolution

Those specs would not Handle 4K video at all. You’d need a good CPU (gen 7 or higher, i5 or i7) minimum 8gb ram, 16gb is better and a high end gpu.
I have an iMAC with 16 GB RAM and have difficulty editing, I was told that I should either edit in PROXY (which I do) or get 32GB RAM. My next computer will have 32GB RAM. Right now, if I don't edit in PROXY mode (Premiere Pro) everything is as slow as molasses. I have no problems editing in PROXY with my 16GB RAM. You seem to have only 4 GB of RAM. Very slow computer.

I have an iMAC with 16 GB RAM and have difficulty editing, I was told that I should either edit in PROXY (which I do) or get 32GB RAM. My next computer will have 32GB RAM. Right now, if I don't edit in PROXY mode (Premiere Pro) everything is as slow as molasses. I have no problems editing in PROXY with my 16GB RAM. You seem to have only 4 GB of RAM. Very slow computer.
Looks like your next computer, if an iMac again will have the m1 or m2 integrated chip. The laptops and mini have it now. It's rivaling and in some instances blowing away their $4k power pro models used for video editing in the movie business. The results have been nothing short of amazing.

You are exactly right! I have been following the progress of Apple's new Chips but the iMAC is not yet out. I will probably be able to get a decent trade in on my 27 inch iMAC but the nest computer will definitely have the 32GB. I am really frightened to find out what it will cost me!! Meanwhile the proxy editing is not so bad.

You are exactly right! I have been following the progress of Apple's new Chips but the iMAC is not yet out. I will probably be able to get a decent trade in on my 27 inch iMAC but the nest computer will definitely have the 32GB. I am really frightened to find out what it will cost me!! Meanwhile the proxy editing is not so bad.
The new imac has everything on one chip. So transfer of information is amazingly fast. People with the laptops are reporting that 16mb of memory is more than sufficient where these days 32 mb would be needed. The thing is able to utilize all memory for the GPU and CPU at will, something other computers never did. The computer is so tight and uses so little power that there is virtually no heat emitted sort of like an iPad. I don't think they need fans. The cost will be no more than current imacs and reportedly probably come in slightly less because they don't use anything from Intel. It's their own chips. All of these things have happened this way with the rollout of the laptops and mini so we know them to be the case. Search for m1 chip on youtube. They look at these new chipsets and compare them to some very powerful computers. One guy just bought $5000 worth of computer for video editing of movies and he's using his $899 M1 mini for the same thing. He's a bit angry.
One point of interest though. The first imacs with this chip will probably look like the ones now. The next one a few months later will change. They'll get rid of the bezel around the screen and the chin underneath so the screen will still be 27" but without all the metal around it. A few other changes too.

I've got a 27" 2011 imac. It has an SSD in it so it's manages pretty good. I'll be upgrading to one of the new ones when I feel I'm ready.

Not sure if you follow Colin Smith of Photoshop Cafe. I have been a fan of his videos for years for learning Photoshop. He recently did a review of the new Apple chips and warns not to buy the first ones out because they are usually buggy. Wait for a 2nd edition was his caution. Here it is if you care to spend a few minutes

That's been my general view over the years. Especially the first M1 imac. It's really going to be a transition machine. Won't even look much different. The next version will be the new design. The M1 (and M2 slated soon after) is, I think the beginning of a series of super fast machines.

Just FYI, all the Adobe apps are still in beta for the M1 chips although I don't think it will be that long before it's built in to the Creative Cloud. I'm looking at upgrading from my old iMac (mid 2010) and MacBook Pro (mid 2012). I may just go with a laptop and have a monitor for when I'm at home. I still have an eMac in the basement that will start up and run, and a 2006 17" power book. Just no software for them any more. Macs will last, that's for sure.

Just FYI, all the Adobe apps are still in beta for the M1 chips although I don't think it will be that long before it's built in to the Creative Cloud. I'm looking at upgrading from my old iMac (mid 2010) and MacBook Pro (mid 2012). I may just go with a laptop and have a monitor for when I'm at home. I still have an eMac in the basement that will start up and run, and a 2006 17" power book. Just no software for them any more. Macs will last, that's for sure.
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 9.53.07 AM.png
Here is my iMAC. The 16GB is not powerful enough to edit Premiere without Proxies. No problem editing with proxies. I LOVE this machine. But I would go to M1 chip if available in 2nd edition (see Colin Smith). I may not live that long (I'm getting older-just kidding). I have a new Mac Book Pro also, (my older one was stolen from my luggage which I forgot to lock before checking into a local flight in Madagascar a year ago). I do not do editing while traveling so I would just use the replacement for downloading daily footage and images onto portable hard drives for working on once I get back.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Yes, they have beta versions and many of them will run with rosetta which is the bridge that apple provides. Adobe has promised final conversions of all it's stuff in 2021. Will probably be done before I pull the trigger for an M1. My 2014 27" imac is still going strong but the second imac M1 generation is when I'll switch.

I got a chance to see an M1 powerbook in action the other day at a store. They did a format conversion of a high res video segment. On my computer (albiet old) the progress bar would have slowly but steadily traversed the screen for about a minute or two. On the demo the progress bar blinked on the screen. If I had blinked at the same time I would have missed it.

View attachment 124020
Here is my iMAC. The 16GB is not powerful enough to edit Premiere without Proxies. No problem editing with proxies. I LOVE this machine. But I would go to M1 chip if available in 2nd edition (see Colin Smith). I may not live that long (I'm getting older-just kidding). I have a new Mac Book Pro also, (my older one was stolen from my luggage which I forgot to lock before checking into a local flight in Madagascar a year ago). I do not do editing while traveling so I would just use the replacement for downloading daily footage and images onto portable hard drives for working on once I get back.
I'm going to go through all the hoops of putting High Sierra on my iMac on Sunday (that's how old it is) I have to do the APFS file system conversion which will take a while. As you can see, mine is much older and slower than yours but it still works for a lot of the Adobe stuff I do for work (Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, etc...) You're not that old Dale, it's only a number and I like how you're still so involved in the forum and technology.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 9.02.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 9.02.22 AM.png
    94 KB · Views: 3
I'm going to go through all the hoops of putting High Sierra on my iMac on Sunday (that's how old it is) I have to do the APFS file system conversion which will take a while. As you can see, mine is much older and slower than yours but it still works for a lot of the Adobe stuff I do for work (Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, etc...) You're not that old Dale, it's only a number and I like how you're still so involved in the forum and technology.
I'm in a similar situation. I've owned macs since 1984, the year they came out. And other apple products before that. What I find amazing is that unlike the computers of old, the things, these days, will stay viable for such a long time. Used to be after two years stuff progressed so that the older machine was almost unusable. Now for most things it just doesn't matter. I'm not talking about rendering but other stuff. And, unlike the old days, I could go a year without restarting this thing and it wouldn't matter. In fact the only time it's restarted is if I do some kind of update that requires it or we have a power failure. When we went from os9 to osX years ago Jobs moved everything to a linux based system. Stability was the norm after that.

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 10.06.05 AM.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy007