DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VIdeo issues Mavic 2 Pro

bkushner

Reactions
What is happening here? Shot this video today and have this jumping/stuttering in most of my clips. I'm using a U3 SD Card and have filmed thousands of ship clips with the P4P and never saw this. Any thoughts would be appreciated but after major excitement over the M2P I'm very disappointed. Thanks.

Pretty intense moiré here. I imagine that is the jumping/stuttering you mention. I have been getting this too at all styles HQ HLG and dLog. My hunch is that it comes from too fast a shutter speed when you are shooting grid like surfaces. I do not yet have my ND filters to slow shutter down. In Resolve it can be mostly eliminated with noise reduction and motion blur selectively applied just to the side of the ship. Try this type of container ship shot again with a normal shutter such as 1/60 for 30fps or 1/50 for 24fps to introduce more motion blur in the original.

Here is another thread about the problem. Mavic 2 Pro Moire Issues

Let us know if you find a solution.

Reactions: Mister Pink
Another thought. If you look at the heavily technical discussion today

Mavic Pro-2 vs Zoom and P4P - Line Skipping + Sensor Heat?

you will see that it is theorized that some of the styles on the Mavic 2 are achieved by Line Skipping or Pixel Binning. Cliff here suggests that in both HQ and FOV mode Line Skipping could be used. Line Skipping is well known to cause moiré. What mode were you shooting? You might try one of the other modes as well as both H264 and H265 and see if this reduces it. As I said above, I am also getting some moiré in HQ.

Yeah waiting on my ND Filters as well and will see if that solves the issue. Thanks for the response.

Another thought. If you look at the heavily technical discussion today

Mavic Pro-2 vs Zoom and P4P - Line Skipping + Sensor Heat?

you will see that it is theorized that some of the styles on the Mavic 2 are achieved by Line Skipping or Pixel Binning. Cliff here suggests that in both HQ and FOV mode Line Skipping could be used. Line Skipping is well known to cause moiré. What mode were you shooting? You might try one of the other modes as well as both H264 and H265 and see if this reduces it. As I said above, I am also getting some moiré in HQ.
I was in HQ H264

I seem to recall this problem with the Mavic Pro when it was used in 1080p at higher frame rates. This rendered 1080p virtually useless. The fix was to record everything in 2.7 or 4K and down convert in post. This does not seem to be an option here.

I seem to recall this problem with the Mavic Pro when it was used in 1080p at higher frame rates. This rendered 1080p virtually useless. The fix was to record everything in 2.7 or 4K and down convert in post. This does not seem to be an option here.

I used to do that with MP1. can you elaborate on why its not an option here?
Thanks

I have seen stuttering before but never in the RAW footage - only after uploading to YouTube or similar.

That to me looks like too high of a shutter speed though - what was it and what were the camera settings?

Yeah waiting on my ND Filters as well and will see if that solves the issue. Thanks for the response.

What I see is horrible YouTube 4K compression quality (not moire). Most likely not your fault - not sure what quality 4K (bitrate) you uploaded. YouTube is making a pretty good mess of it unless you upload at very high bitrate quality. I usually do 100Mb/s to 150Mb/s H264 uploads after processing the HQ H265 DlogM original. My 4K YouTube videos look a lot better than this one. As far as "flickering" is concerned, sure you probably used a low aperture (close to fully open - which is best), but consequently a very fast shutter speed. It also looks like you used 23.976 frame rate 29.976 does make it just a little "smoother", but ND filters should make this a lot better by trying to keep the shutter speed closer to 4x frame rate.

Reactions: jarmokan
I was in HQ H264

I suggest to use DlogM/H265 with HQ. Normal mode is a bit heavy on sharpening and contrast especially if you use anything higher than Style=Standard (0,0,0) with Normal. With DlogM you can go to +1,0,0 for best results (least loss of details/clarity and still only minimal noise in shadows).

Last edited:
I used to do that with MP1. can you elaborate on why its not an option here?
Thanks
I'm no expert but as I understood the situation, binning was required to record the feed from the sensor of MP 1 in 1080p the algorithm did not properly account for pixel conversion, you could record in 4K on a 1 to 1 ratio which did not require binning or any other conversion so the pic was clean of any artifacts. The MP2 uses a much higher then 4 k resolution sensor so the binning is required to down convert to 4K. MP2 will not record at full sensor resolution(1 to 1) so there is no way to solve this issue it seems. I would welcome comments from users with a better grasp of the technical side to comment. I know there are calculations that would tell us what bit rate would be required to record 1 to 1 for the 1" sensor but I doubt if the MP2 has that capability, there is also the heat issue in recording with all the pixels that may need to be dealt with. I suspect bitstream limitations are also why 60fps in 4 k was not included. I could be off base on some of this.

I'm no expert but as I understood the situation, binning was required to record the feed from the sensor of MP 1 in 1080p the algorithm did not properly account for pixel conversion, you could record in 4K on a 1 to 1 ratio which did not require binning or any other conversion so the pic was clean of any artifacts. The MP2 uses a much higher then 4 k resolution sensor so the binning is required to down convert to 4K. MP2 will not record at full sensor resolution(1 to 1) so there is no way to solve this issue it seems. I would welcome comments from users with a better grasp of the technical side to comment. I know there are calculations that would tell us what bit rate would be required to record 1 to 1 for the 1" sensor but I doubt if the MP2 has that capability, there is also the heat issue in recording with all the pixels that may need to be dealt with. I suspect bitstream limitations are also why 60fps in 4 k was not included. I could be off base on some of this.

He stated that he recorded it in HQ mode which is a 1:1 readout of the cropped sensor. No binning and line skipping or whatever theories are floated apply here.

Reactions: jarmokan
Didn't catch that, then why the moire and jaggies? The cropped is 1 to 1 for sure? That is the reduced 4K at 3840 or full at 4096. Just trying to figure this out.

I usually do 100Mb/s to 150Mb/s H264 uploads...

Roamer: May I assume that you generate this when you render in premiere and you know it’s going to YouTube so you give it that much higher bit rate or am I way off base here? PP CC still intimidates me almost every time. :)

Roamer: May I assume that you generate this when you render in premiere and you know it’s going to YouTube so you give it that much higher bit rate or am I way off base here? PP CC still intimidates me almost every time. :)

I have premiere, but I prefer using Resolve 15 (actually, that is all I use now). The output is best quality H264 restricted to 150,000 Kb/s.

ND16 or 32 filters to slow down the shutter speed should solve this problem. I suffered the same disappointment with my MP until I got my filters.

The only reason I own (or better, subscribe to) Premiere is because I want to use the Media Encoder for special processing. ME has a very broad range of capabilities, pretty much unequaled. Premiere on the other hand has its strengths but more so, weaknesses. I really got to like Resolve. It is head and shoulders above everything else out there at this point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lschabert