DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video/memory card problem with my new Mini 3 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always format the card in the device, either camera or drone (which is really just a camera with props ;)). I rarely delete individual files on the card, but instead format it.
Yes, that's generally good advice because the formatting routines in Widows and iOS aren't optimized for SD cards, so they may not operate at maximum speed, and they may do something that causes some cameras to glitch. It's also true that some cameras may do something to cause their cards to not work in other cameras. However, as I said, I've never had a problem with cards formatted by the official app from the SD Association, which is the standard that every manufacturer should be developing to. I just find it's more convenient to format the cards after copying, and then the cards are ready to use in any camera, and I've found it's perfectly safe to do so with that app -- but not with Windows -- so I thought I'd pass that along.

I've been having stuttering video since the last updater. Changed to MOV. No change. Changed cards. No change.
It will play but shows a single frame then skips ahead and plays smooth for a few seconds, rinse, repeat.
These are U3 fast cards I've used before no issues.

I'm unsure if this might shed any light on the issue, but here is what I use & do, & I've never had any problems.

My OS is Win10x64.

I've always removed my SD card (with the drone powered off, ofc) & inserted it into my machine's SD card reader to transfer files to my machine's hard drive, or to the larger SD card in the controller (because I could find no other way with my M3P & the RC Controller) - no smartphone connection.

If it's to the latter location, I have both SD cards removed & inserted into my machine's SD card readers.

The SD card in my drone is a Samsung PRO Plus 128GB & the 1 in my RC controller is the same but in 512GB capacity. (I'm not a fan of SanDisk).

I formatted them both using the SD Memory Card Formatter | SD Association & in the ExFat type.

From the drone SD card, I go to the DCIM folder, & select what I want to move, & then transfer the files to either the folder I selected on my hard drive, or to the same DCIM folder on the RC card.

1nce finished, I select & delete those files from the drone's SD card DCIM folder.

I then use the "Safely Eject Media" function on my machine, remove the SD cards, & re-insert them to their respective devices (drone & RC controller).

That's it; I've never had any problems, & I don't use the drone or RC controller's 'format' function.

I've never, in my >5 months of using the above technique, had any problems.

I've always used a similar technique when using any other device & transferring files, & never had any problems.

I hope this helps, & wish you success on resolving your issues.

I've been having stuttering video since the last updater. Changed to MOV. No change. Changed cards. No change.
It will play but shows a single frame then skips ahead and plays smooth for a few seconds, rinse, repeat.
These are U3 fast cards I've used before no issues.
Are you playing them straight from the card itself, especially if they're in a high-resolution format, or from your hard drive?

Also, background apps in the latter case, may be using resources, or you may find that other video players might work better - I found that was the case when I noticed that.

I did find that the video stuttering tended to be an issue more often when playing from the card directly. My machine is >10 years old & perhaps there are better/faster transfer protocols available for more modern machines.

From what I am seeing it corrupts the file structure of the memory cards it formats into something that is not real compatible with Windows10. Then causes the card to self destruct when you read that memory card in a Windows system.
What you keep describing is not seen by other users.
People format (or don't) in their computer or their drone and don't have any problems at all.
And a lot use Windows 10.
It's a completely trouble-free experience for everyone else.

Reactions: mobilehomer
People format (or don't) in their computer or their drone and don't have any problems at all.
Correct! I have formatted to ExFat in the drone, my Windows laptop and my Chromebook with zero problems reading or writing in any of them.

Since I don't have this sort of problem when I format the cards in my other SD card using devices and go through the same procedure I have itemized above, and since you state that apparently no one else is having this same identical problem (I assume you have tried it yourself exactly as I have detailed), then the logical conclusion to come to is that my particular DJI Mini 3 Pro drone is defective in this manner. Does that sound like a reasonable assumption to you?

Reactions: BroomRider
(I assume you have tried it yourself exactly as I have detailed),
No I haven't, it's way too complicated to follow and, like everyone else, I've never had any trouble with SD cards in drones.
They just work first time and every time without any messing about.
then the logical conclusion to come to is that my particular DJI Mini 3 Pro drone is defective in this manner. Does that sound like a reasonable assumption to you?
Perhaps the drone is the issue.
But it would be an extremely rare fault if it is.

No I haven't, it's way too complicated to follow and, like everyone else, I've never had any trouble with SD cards in drones.
They just work first time and every time without any messing about.

Perhaps the drone is the issue.
But it would be an extremely rare fault if it is.
You can simplify it by merely doing steps 7 through 15. That would tell you all you need to know concerning whether your drone would exhibit the same problem.

As for it being a rare problem, I guess I will find out when I return the current Mini 3 Pro I have and get a replacement from Amazon. If that, too, exhibits the same problem, convincing me that the problem is rare would be a tough sell. But for now, I will be in "wait and see" mode.

You can simplify it by merely doing steps 7 through 15. That would tell you all you need to know concerning whether your drone would exhibit the same problem.

As for it being a rare problem, I guess I will find out when I return the current Mini 3 Pro I have and get a replacement from Amazon. If that, too, exhibits the same problem, convincing me that the problem is rare would be a tough sell. But for now, I will be in "wait and see" mode.
Hmm, appears others may be having this rare problem.

I would like to ask a favor of anyone reading this thread. The reason for this favor is to help me determine if getting a replacement DJI Mini 3 Pro will resolve this problem I am addressing in this thread. I would like to make the determination NOW of what would be the best step for me to make.

This is not complicated, and should be pretty close to what most people do anyway when taking video with their DJI Mini 3 Pro.

1. Format SD card in DJI Mini 3 Pro.
  2. Take video using DJI Mini 3 Pro.
  3. Remove card from DJI Mini 3 Pro and insert into PC card reader.
  4. Copy video file from SD card to hard drive in PC.
  5. Deleting file from SD card is optional.
  6. Remove SD card from PC and put back in DJI Mini 3 Pro.
  7. Do NOT format card in DJI Mini 3 Pro.
  8. Take video using DJI Mini 3 Pro.
  9. Remove card from DJI Mini 3 Pro and insert into PC card reader.
  10. Can you copy any of the files from that SD card to the PC?

I don't need to because in thousands of flights I've never had a problem with SD cards in the drone.
I format the cards after every flight and no matter where or how I do it, it makes no difference.
If that, too, exhibits the same problem, convincing me that the problem is rare would be a tough sell.
If it does, then I'd be certain that the problem is not the drone.
No-one else has such problems with this.

I don't need to because in thousands of flights I've never had a problem with SD cards in the drone.
I format the cards after every flight and no matter where or how I do it, it makes no difference.

If it does, then I'd be certain that the problem is not the drone.
No-one else has such problems with this.

Someone else trying the test I have requested would answer some questions. And no, reformatting the memory card each and time you use it in a device is NOT a normal standard. It is a workaround to cover up a formatting flaw in the DJI Mini 3 Pro drone. Perhaps other DJI products?

I have used many devices using memory cards over the years and I have NEVER had to reformat any of the memory cards once they were initially formatted. Not a single solitary one. Of course, this is my first DJI product I have ever had, so maybe I have just been living in a different universe all these years.

I am getting the feeling that you don't want to do the test I have suggested because you are concerned that I may be right. So instead of trying to help being a possible problem to light, and maybe save other people from some headaches when they lose their video files, you are just digging your heels in to try to defend your position in support of DJI.

I don't have a problem stating that the king has no clothes. Do you?

reformatting the memory card each and time you use it in a device is NOT a normal standard.
It's standard for many photographers and ensures that the card is completely clear for each flight, without the clutter and cobwebs that accumulate when you just delete files.
It also is the only way to have the file numbering continue from where it left off rather than resetting to 001 each flight.
It is a workaround to cover up a formatting flaw in the DJI Mini 3 Pro drone. Perhaps other DJI products?
No, why such a conspiratorial attitude?
What's the problem accepting that SD cards and their formatting is a complete non-issue for DJI users?

I am getting the feeling that you don't want to do the test I have suggested because you are concerned that I may be right. So instead of trying to help being a possible problem to light, and maybe save other people from some headaches when they lose their video files, you are just digging your heels in to try to defend your position in support of DJI.

I don't have a problem stating that the king has no clothes. Do you?
I'm bowing out of this discussion as it's getting more ridiculous.
Goodbye

Reactions: Brojon
I'm bowing out of this discussion as it's getting more ridiculous.
Goodbye
Thank you. Now maybe someone not afraid of doing some real testing and offending others, in order to actually HELP, will chime in. I am perfectly willing to accept I just have a singularly defective device. I would just like to have some REAL feedback from actual testing results others might be willing to provide. Making a blanket statement that no one else has such a problem without even doing a minor test, or that there couldn't possibly be a problem with a DJI product's design and/or implementation just doesn't help much.

If I have stepped on anyone's toes trying to get some facts, then so be it. I am not afraid of being wrong. Every time I have been, it was a learning experience.

Last edited:
Correct! I have formatted to ExFat in the drone, my Windows laptop and my Chromebook with zero problems reading or writing in any of them.

If you don't mind my asking, in which device did you format your memory card?

Now maybe someone not afraid of doing some real testing and offending others, in order to actually HELP, will chime in.
There's no need to do extensive testing for something as simple as using an SD card in a DJI drone.
It exactly the same as using an SD card in any other camera device.
Making a blanket statement that no one else has such a problem without even doing a minor test, or that there couldn't possibly be a problem with a DJI product's design and/or implementation just doesn't help much.
Of course there must be a serious defect in DJI's use of SD cards.
It's a mystery why none of millions of users have found it before you though.

There's no need to do extensive testing for something as simple as using an SD card in a DJI drone.
It exactly the same as using an SD card in any other camera device.

Of course there must be a serious defect in DJI's use of SD cards.
It's a mystery why none of millions of users have found it before you though.

I guess you missed the links I posted in a previous post showing that possibly another one in millions of users found this sort of problem. Oh the horror!

Please come back to this thread after you have actually tested what I asked for, please. Other than that, you are apparently just trying to throw up smoke and mirrors with vague protestations about the infallibility of DJI, IMHO.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

So I took my Mini 3 out for the second time today, and flew for 2.5 battery charges. Taking video the entire time at 4K/60fps. Wanted to check the range and was getting just over 3,000 ft, through the trees. Everything just seemed to be running like clockwork. RTH worked OK, and this is a breeze to fly.

I got back to the house and pulled out the memory card from the Mini, and tried to load the files onto my PC. Hmm. Not recognizing the card. "The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Do you want to format?" Well, no, I do NOT! Volume name of the card is "SDXC", if that means anything. PC wants to format it every time I put it into the system to try to look at the contents. Used two different card readers. And tried both my desktop and laptop PCs.

So I put the card back into the Mini, and no sort of error message popped up. Showing that the SD card is 119GB, with 67.9GB remaining available on the card, so it certainly thinks there ARE files on it. So I just recorded more video from the table, and the available file space dropped accordingly. So it certainly THINKS it is writing to that card. Even took a couple of photos instead of videos to see if they would show up. Pulled the card back out and tried to look at it on my PC. No go. Still doesn't recognize the format. For the record, the internal RAM is a Total of 1.25GB with 1.21GB remaining available. So it isn't writing files there.

Aircraft Firmware: 01.00.0320
RC Firmware: 01.00.0300
Flysafe Database: 01.00.01.27
App version: 1.6.6

So what the(Mod Removed Language)is going on? What am I doing wrong? Or doesn't this Mini 3 have error detection for the memory card, and doesn't really care if it is writing or not?

When I took my first flight, I just recorded normally, came into the house and downloaded the files normally. Then deleted the files from the card and put it back into the Mini 3 like it should be.

Oh, the memory card I am using is a SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB MicroSDXC UHS-1 |3| 4K UHD card. Yes, the card was in correctly I would think I would get some sort of error message if it wasn't.

Not going to be real happy with this if there is nothing I did wrong, and I just have to worry each time I take a flight not knowing if it actually captured the video or not. But I have till January 31, 2023 to return it to Amazon, if need be.

This is my first foray into DJI products. Hope it wasn't a big mistake. Up to this, I was thinking this is a pretty impressive animal. But now? Well, not so sure....
When you format the micro SD: do you format it while it's plugged in to the PC? or do you format the card after you have re-inserted it into the drone? I have come across mentions of card read errors as a result of formatting the card on a PC and then inserting it into the drone. I always port my shots from the SD card to PC with it plugged into an adapter, but I then crank the drone up and format the micro SD using the camera tab in the FLY app and I format the card every time I boot the drone up for the next flight. So far: touch wood: no problems with the 64gig Sandisk in over three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS