DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video modes

jambroseus

Reactions
I see no documentation on the details of each of the video modes: 4K vs 1080 vs zoom etc. Would like to know more about these modes. Thanks.

I assume you are using flying a Mavic Air 2? (cos Mini has no 4K)

Essentially, 4K is the highest quality video you can take on the drone. (And the highest quality of most modern TVs and computer monitors).

The most common video qualities you'll see are:

4K: 3840 x 2160
2.7K: 2704 x 1520
1080p: 1920 x 1080
720p: 1280 x 720

The downside of higher quality is bigger file size. But in general, you'll want to shoot in 4K.

Zoom just allows you to zoom in and out, just like a normal camera, up to 4x. On the Air 2, you do this by holding down the Function button and spinning the wheel you normally use for camera pitch.

Reactions: Maui19 and Wilbur
Zoom just allows you to zoom in and out, just like a normal camera, up to 4x. On the Air 2, you do this by holding down the Function button and spinning the wheel you normally use for camera pitch.

I had no idea you could do it this way.. will have to try this out.. thanks.

When posting in general forums, please indicate what model(s) you are discussing.

The Mavic 2 Zoom has 2x optical zoom which can be used in every video resolution and frame rate. It probably will also work with photos, though I haven't focused on that.
Zoom will also do an additional 2x digital zoom, but only in video modes 1080p at 30fps or lower.

When posting in general forums, please indicate what model(s) you are discussing.

The Mavic 2 Zoom has 2x optical zoom which can be used in every video resolution and frame rate. It probably will also work with photos, though I haven't focused on that.
Zoom will also do an additional 2x digital zoom, but only in video modes 1080p at 30fps or lower.

I see how to use the digital zoom but how do you access the optical zoom? Thanks. --John

I see how to use the digital zoom but how do you access the optical zoom? Thanks. --John
On the Mavic 2 Zoom, it's the right side wheel/dial on the controller. You get the default 2X optical zoom in 4K and 2.7K. In 1080p, you get up to the 4X zoom (which includes the additional 2X digital zoom) automatically. Don't need to select the optical zoom specifically.

I take it then that you have an M2Z and is the focus of your questions?

Not wanting to be rude, but have you downloaded and read the latest user manual from DJI website?

I have the Mavic air 2 and have read through the manual twice. Other than showing how you select the video modes it does not say much about them.

Heindrich was most helpful in giving some details, thanks. Experimenting with each I am finding the 2.7K mode to be the most flexible allowing good resolution and also a 2x zoom.

It would be nice to have a detailed write-up explaining more and showing shortcuts to switch between them without breaking the file recording. (If you can do this.)

John

I have the Mavic air 2 and have read through the manual twice. Other than showing how you select the video modes it does not say much about them.

Heindrich was most helpful in giving some details, thanks. Experimenting with each I am finding the 2.7K mode to be the most flexible allowing good resolution and also a 2x zoom.

It would be nice to have a detailed write-up explaining more and showing shortcuts to switch between them without breaking the file recording. (If you can do this.)

John
A simple google search found this article describing 4K vs 1080p. There are many similar articles describing the advantages/disadvantages of the different modes/resolutions out there

If I understand your question correctly, no, you cannot switch between the two resolutions (or any other) on the fly (while recording).

Fly safe

A simple google search found this article describing 4K vs 1080p. There are many similar articles describing the advantages/disadvantages of the different modes/resolutions out there

If I understand your question correctly, no, you cannot switch between the two resolutions (or any other) on the fly (while recording).

Fly safe

Thanks Barbara.

Also, I have an altitude limit of 1600 ft which I cannot increase. Is there a way to increase it?

John

Also, I have an altitude limit of 1600 ft which I cannot increase. Is there a way to increase it?

John

Most countries have legal requirements for VLOS (visual line of sight) and an altitude limit of 400ft.

The 1600 ft altitude limit is a hard limit set by DJI. If you want to go any higher, you need to physically get to a higher location.

For example, if I take off at ground level, I won't be able to fly to the top of a 1800 ft skyscraper. However, if I take off from the roof of the skyscraper, I can physically fly another 1600 ft on top, reaching a potential altitude of 3400 ft. However, legally speaking, I'd be restricted to 400 ft above my roof i.e. 2200 ft in total.

These rules vary around the world, but it's mostly similar to the American FAA.

John
As Heindrich said. Most regulations (for recreational flying) limit UAVs to 120 m (400 ft) Above Ground Level. Manned aircraft are, for the most part, not suppose to fly below 500 ft, thus allowing a buffer of 100 ft.

I'm not sure saying that you took off from a 1000' tower, so you can can fly at 1400 ft would fly with the authorities should they get involved for whatever reason. Note, regulations do vary from region to region.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenshin