DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Video of 81-year old Navy pilot flying my Avata with Motion Controller 2 & Integra Goggles

Dangerly

Reactions
I had the privilege of teaching an 81-year old Navy pilot to fly my Avata, and posted a thread about that a few weeks ago. I finally got a chance to put together a little video of the experience and thought that warranted a new thread with the video:

A few learnings for me:
  1. We got a low battery RTH, and since I wasn't flying but rather observing, I decided to see how well the Avata could do 100% on autopilot RTH. I usually override RTH and land by myself so this was my first 100% RTH. It was pretty close to the take off point. A bit worried at one point it would clip the bush, but it didn't.
  2. Didn't realize the RTH altitude was set > 400', so I might fix that. Got me thinking... I probably set it > 400' to be extra safe, but then it's over 400'. Hmmm....
  3. No problems seeing the Avata by VLOS at 670' against a clear sky.
  4. "I had a stick like this. You do this [press the video button by mistake] -- you drop the bomb." 🤣
p.s. This is my first time posting a video to the Showcase topic and there was no option for Avata so I chose Air 2S. Is that okay or what should I have done?

I had the privilege of teaching an 81-year old Navy pilot to fly my Avata, and posted a thread about that a few weeks ago. I finally got a chance to put together a little video of the experience and thought that warranted a new thread with the video:

A few learnings for me:
  1. We got a low battery RTH, and since I wasn't flying but rather observing, I decided to see how well the Avata could do 100% on autopilot RTH. I usually override RTH and land by myself so this was my first 100% RTH. It was pretty close to the take off point. A bit worried at one point it would clip the bush, but it didn't.
  2. Didn't realize the RTH altitude was set > 400', so I might fix that. Got me thinking... I probably set it > 400' to be extra safe, but then it's over 400'. Hmmm....
  3. No problems seeing the Avata by VLOS at 670' against a clear sky.
  4. "I had a stick like this. You do this [press the video button by mistake] -- you drop the bomb." 🤣
p.s. This is my first time posting a video to the Showcase topic and there was no option for Avata so I chose Air 2S. Is that okay or what should I have done?
Very moving! We should all try to capture more content like this before these guys and gals are gone. Well done Dangerly!

Reactions: MavicFlyer2
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne