DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video/Photo Editing and Posting???

DaveK-OR

Reactions
I know there is a section here for posting videos and photos. Also, a section about photo/video editing. However... What I'm looking for is a bit different than what I find on those sub-forums.

Yes, I can post photos and videos in the sub-forums here to share with other members. I will be doing that, but would also like to find good locations for sharing photos and videos with a few friends, not on an open forum. The photos and the videos, of course, are simply far too large to even think about sending as e-mail attachments, unless hugely downsized and/or compressed. I know how to do that with photos, but there are times I want a friend to have a full-resolution image. With videos, I am just a noob, and hardly know where to begin.

So, a few basic questions:
  • What sites should I consider for posting photos and videos for sharing with a few friends? Imagery that I would share with the Mavic community would be posted on the appropriate forum here.
  • What are appropriate sizes for edited photos and videos that are shared through a link to a posting site? Are gigabyte videos really appropriate for this?
  • Are there any general guidelines or tutorials out there for beginning drone video editing?

My go to sites for hosting are – Video, YouTube & Vimeo – Pictures, ImgBB.
Size can depend on the site you upload to but I have had no problems wit the ones mentioned.
Plenty of tutorials for editing on YouTube for any of the popular editing programs.
If you want to post video on the forum keep it short, around 3 minutes you can always keep a long version for personal viewing.
Almost forgot Kuula for hosting interactive 360 spherical panorama's

Smugmug. You need to pay, but it's unlimited space, sharing etc is easy, and there's a sweet plugin for Lightroom that makes uploading a breeze.

Reactions: macfawlty
Regarding editing, most of the popular editors have huge numbers of tutorials on youtube. Those tutorials vary in quality and clarity and vlogger appeal, so look around until you find one you like (or just ask here for recommendations).

Loads of editors out there. Most of them are daunting at first blush, so many controls, but if you slowly work through a tutorial you'll find it's not rocket science. Davinci Resolve is quite capable. I'd suggest that. There's a good free version, so just give it a whirl and see if it works for you.

Note that editing 4k video requires a capable computer. You'll know right away if that's a problem.

Regarding editing, most of the popular editors have huge numbers of tutorials on youtube. Those tutorials vary in quality and clarity and vlogger appeal, so look around until you find one you like (or just ask here for recommendations).

Loads of editors out there. Most of them are daunting at first blush, so many controls, but if you slowly work through a tutorial you'll find it's not rocket science. Davinci Resolve is quite capable. I'd suggest that. There's a good free version, so just give it a whirl and see if it works for you.

Note that editing 4k video requires a capable computer. You'll know right away if that's a problem.
Agree on Resolve. I have a paid Adobe account so I have Premiere Pro but I almost always use Resolve now. I think it’s a more powerful editor and gives me more options. Still use Ps/Lr for photos. As far as sharing, maybe I’m old fashioned but I just use Dropbox. And YouTube, of course, but the compression isnt great so for the best quality I send clients videos through Dropbox.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Some ideas just for sharing but not great for display,; "Drop Box" Send the other party a link. Free storage available

Also, "FileLinked"

Or, post to YouTube and make the video private.

Good Luck

I've used Flickr for years, but I can't say I recommend it over newer generation photo sites. It's just too much work to switch to another service.

I know there is a section here for posting videos and photos. Also, a section about photo/video editing. However... What I'm looking for is a bit different than what I find on those sub-forums.

Yes, I can post photos and videos in the sub-forums here to share with other members. I will be doing that, but would also like to find good locations for sharing photos and videos with a few friends, not on an open forum. The photos and the videos, of course, are simply far too large to even think about sending as e-mail attachments, unless hugely downsized and/or compressed. I know how to do that with photos, but there are times I want a friend to have a full-resolution image. With videos, I am just a noob, and hardly know where to begin.

• What sites should I consider for posting photos and videos for sharing with a few friends? Imagery that I would share with the Mavic community would be posted on the appropriate forum here.
  • What are appropriate sizes for edited photos and videos that are shared through a link to a posting site? Are gigabyte videos really appropriate for this?
  • Are there any general guidelines or tutorials out there for beginning drone video editing?
I've been using VIMEO for years. I started with the free version, then switched to lowest cost version which allows more data. For full Rez images like a 25MB photo, you could consider Drop Box, which has a free version, I think.

Dale

If you are using Windows, -> Dropbox (5GB free storage), if you are using anything -> Google something or other, Vimeo for free with 5 GB and password protected. and even Dropbox.

Try using the FTP program HighTail. I am professional photographer and transfer present images over 50 MB, 30-40 at a time in a gallery format. Works for video as well. Hope that helps

I have been using SmugMug for years as my photography website. I am happy with it. It is not hard to use. They have many templates to provide a really nice web site, and you have the option of selling your work, although I have never made a penny from it.
Their web site is. www.smugmug.com
My web site to see how my template works- www.daledavisphotography.smugmug.com

You might also consider www.squarespace.com for custom photography website.

For video I use the lowest
payment option (PRO) on www.vimeo.com. Here is my website there to see how it works-

For videos, you can use YouTube then when you publish it make it "Unlisted". This keeps the video private unless you have the direct link to the video, which only you would have. You can then send that private link to friends/family.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I have been using SmugMug for years as my photography website. I am happy with it. It is not hard to use. They have many templates to provide a really nice web site, and you have the option of selling your work, although I have never made a penny from it.
Their web site is. www.smugmug.com
My web site to see how my template works- www.daledavisphotography.smugmug.com

You might also consider www.squarespace.com for custom photography website.

For video I use the lowest
payment option (PRO) on www.vimeo.com. Here is my website there to see how it works-
I have had a SmugMug account for years. Very reliable, very easy work with. If you are a professional photographer (I'm not), you can customize the layout and have your own domain. I use it and Vimeo for my videos.

I don't know how to post a photo or video to this site.

To post a video or picture, you'll need to post it to a media sharing site. Then you can use the editing controls here to post a link.

1612217983914.png
The red arrow is pointing to the "More options..." button. The green arrow points to the "Media" button. That will show the following dialog

1612218065785.png

There's place to paste in the URL and a list of sites that are supported here.

For video....
Put your video on a hosting site.... then just copy the share link and paste that in your post here. A preview will be there with controls for the vid when you post. No need to click anything in the forum window except the “post” button.

Another vote for Davinci Resolve as an editor. Have been using it for a while now and still finding new things. I recently bought the studio version as they were bundling the speed editor with it. I often leave the camera running for a whole flight and cut it up in post. The speed editor really make this simple. UTube for posting the video. As above on utube you can make the video public or private.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580