DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video playback - all previous videos now unplayable, along with new ones

How did you determine his hard drive is failing?

If you believe his hard drive is failing, why did you say this before recommending a new SD? "At this point I do not think its your laptop"
Once he explained about the VLC and the Frozen Picture , I would be thinking hard drive failure. or Memory problems something like that and he just shared that new information.

As for the computer , it sounds like his Hard Drive may be failing and more things begin to freeze on him.
Really ?
A hard drive failure would cause a lot more than video difficulties.
It would be more than obvious before even trying to play a video.

Identifying the actual issue is always going to be more efficient than making random guesses.

Really ?
A hard drive failure would cause a lot more than video difficulties.
It would be more than obvious before even trying to play a video.

Identifying the actual issue is always going to be more efficient than making random guesses.
Some time when Laptop sit for a long time without use the Hard Drive can go bad and apps that start freezing is a sign that the Laptop is going.

He tried your VLC plan and it did not work, so PC issue is up for discussion which is why i mentioned it.

The nice thing is the OP should let us know, if he ends up needing a new PC well cheers to me.

Dear All (Meta4, Phantomrain.org,brett8883, SkyeHigh, DarthKahn and Not A Speck Of Cereal). Many thanks for your collective advice. My wife and I spent most of the weekend re-installing the latest Microsoft update on our laptop and now the previous videos are playing fine. I need to look into the H.264 or H.265 Codec thing, as we received a dialogue box relating to this, but the videos played anyway, so I am happy at the moment. I haven't been able to get my drone airborne since this 'mare, but I am considering trying to lower the video quality (when I work out how to, as I have never previously had any desire to do so!). Whenever I start up, I have always left it to do its own thing, so I have never looked at changing anything. Also, my height and distance is now inexplicably severely limited, for some reason - I clearly have a great deal to learn!
Thank you all, once again, for your help - optimism is again the order of the day and I can now look forward to flying again (when the good old Scottish weather allows it!).

Great to hear.

If you are having height and distance restrictions you may be in Beginner Mode again. To fix:

On you smartphone display click the Mode button (top right) for Main Controller settings. Scroll down and you should see the slider for Beginner Mode where it can be switched off.

If this is the cause you should be able to fly beyond 30-metres now.

As for video settings, in most cases 1080P should be enough if you’re not planning on any extensive editing and colour grading. I’d recommend sticking to H.264 too as just about any playback device can handle this codec without issue.

Let us know how you go, there’s always folk here more than happy to help.

Great to hear.

If you are having height and distance restrictions you may be in Beginner Mode again. To fix:

On you smartphone display click the Mode button (top right) for Main Controller settings. Scroll down and you should see the slider for Beginner Mode where it can be switched off.

If this is the cause you should be able to fly beyond 30-metres now.

As for video settings, in most cases 1080P should be enough if you’re not planning on any extensive editing and colour grading. I’d recommend sticking to H.264 too as just about any playback device can handle this codec without issue.

Let us know how you go, there’s always folk here more than happy to help.
Brilliant and thank you again. I will hopefully have a go after work today, as weather isn't too bad. Will the video and H.264 choice be there too? I'm being a pest and should wait until I get the chance to look for myself ...... sorry. Take care, SkyeHigh.

Brilliant and thank you again. I will hopefully have a go after work today, as weather isn't too bad. Will the video and H.264 choice be there too? I'm being a pest and should wait until I get the chance to look for myself ...... sorry. Take care, SkyeHigh.

No problem at all, always happy to help.

The video formats and codec options are on the Video Settings page. Make sure you select the right one (you need to be in Video rather than Photo mode.

The two formats are .MOV (best for Apple Macs) and .MP4, which works well with all computers, smartphones/tablets.

The Codec options are a little further down. As mentioned h.264 works on all devices. H.265 is a newer codec that works on ‘most’ new computers but may require the codec software installing first. H.265 applied far greater compression required for UHD video but in smaller comparable files. The downside it requires a powerful laptop/PC to be able to edit it natively in real-time although there are workarounds for this.

PS. My username is based on my favourite part of the world, somewhere I’ve spent many, many months over the years. Very envious of you being in the Highlands, though not so much the weather!

Glad to hear you're up and running!

Fyi: if you want to change the video/stills settings, the standard Mavic owners manual doesn't go very deep. See the following DJI Go 4 Guide for more information.

Go to page 8 for camera settings:

Cheers, Chris

No problem at all, always happy to help.

The video formats and codec options are on the Video Settings page. Make sure you select the right one (you need to be in Video rather than Photo mode.

The two formats are .MOV (best for Apple Macs) and .MP4, which works well with all computers, smartphones/tablets.

The Codec options are a little further down. As mentioned h.264 works on all devices. H.265 is a newer codec that works on ‘most’ new computers but may require the codec software installing first. H.265 applied far greater compression required for UHD video but in smaller comparable files. The downside it requires a powerful laptop/PC to be able to edit it natively in real-time although there are workarounds for this.

PS. My username is based on my favourite part of the world, somewhere I’ve spent many, many months over the years. Very envious of you being in the Highlands, though not so much the weather!
Many thanks for this - I will get on it, when the weather permits. It's another "4 Seasons In One Day" sort of day here, so the optimism I had this morning has long since disappeared(!). This is a brilliant place to live, but the weather has a habit of wrecking one's plans, on a far too regular basis. Caithness isn't renowned for its mild climate and the wind is almost a constant - even in the Summer. Equally envious of you and your climate - it must be a dream place to be a "droner". I will probably have a look at the settings etc. after work and try and get things set up, just in case - one has to be prepared up here. One of the other respondees mentioned that the missing codec(s) are only a couple of dollars - I may look into that, at a later date. The main reason for saving up for 2 and a bit years to purchase the Mavic 2, was to get the best drone there is and it seems wrong to voluntarily lower the quality. However, for what I am doing, I guess this will be more than good enough. Thank you very much for taking the time to deal with a very amateur, amateur - it really is appreciated. Take care.

Glad to hear you're up and running!

Fyi: if you want to change the video/stills settings, the standard Mavic owners manual doesn't go very deep. See the following DJI Go 4 Guide for more information.

Go to page 8 for camera settings:

Cheers, Chris
Hi, Chris - belter of a username, by the way! Thank you for the links - even I might stand a chance now. Many thanks for advice, it's really appreciated. Take care.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters