DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Programs for editing!

I edit in DaVinci as well, it's great. Very powerful color correction which can be useful because we tend to deal with small cameras, and rely natural light. The best free option IMO

For a video player I would recommend VLC

I use premiere but resolve is pretty good and use it at times for some things.

VLC for playback, just works

Reactions: Amarand
I second Adobe Premiere, but I purchase the annual Adobe Creative Cloud and it comes bundled in, so I use it. You get a lot more stuff too, like Audition (for editing audio...embedded or stand-alone), plus Photoshop and Lightroom (great for processing your RAW audio shots). If you shop around, sometimes you can find educational discounts, and other discounts as well. I know for awhile, some sites like Flickr and Gurushots offered discounts for photographers on the platform for Adobe Creative Cloud.

Resolve is free, to an extent.

For most standard editing yes, the features are free. But if you want all the features, you’ll need to buy the program @ $299. An example is lens distortion correction. When you use that feature it puts the DaVinci water mark on your video.

Well worth it if you are doing professional/commercial work.

I use the GO 4 App and iMovie on the iPhone - usually for a short video after flying.

At home for longer edits I use an old version of Pinnacle Studio (19) on the PC and it works ok... Some good offers to upgrade on their site at the mo... Between $60 - $100...

I use Premiere Pro after using Premiere Elements for a while. Elements is just fine and only runs about $70. I upgraded to Pro only because Adobe offered a good deal on the full CC package and I needed some of the others for work so it was basically free, or at least no extra cost. Pro does some things Elements won't but not much (better color correction/grading, LUTs (Elements might work with these but I haven't tried), and H.265 compression), but Elements is a friendlier interface and the quality of final cuts on Elements is just as good as Premiere Pro. All of this is to say Elements is probably the way to go unless you want something more powerful and are doing paid work where you can write off the price of Pro. I would not pay for Pro unless I were getting it as part of a package I already need and would still be using Elements.

I've also been playing around with Resolve (the basic free version) for a while and like it but it is very resource intensive and seems to be somewhat slower than Premiere Pro (and certainly Elements). I'm running it with the latest generation i9 and it's still not exactly speedy.

I've got some friends who do editing in Hollywood and they mostly use Premiere Pro, but a few use the pro version of Resolve. I think one may still use Final Cut X, which I haven't tried.

Again, Premiere Elements is probably what you need. Just make sure your computer can run it well. If you're editing over 1080p, you need a pretty new computer. I had a 2015 i5 Surface Pro and Elements was just barely usable at 2.7k/30. It totally choked on 4K or 2.7k/60.

Last edited:
I mainly use Davinci Resolve, though occasionally I'll use Shotcut for formats that Resolve has issues with - convert them to a format Resolve can work with. Every time I've used VLC to convert, the audio gets lost.

Just remember that the free version of resolve makes little use of the gpu, even less than premiere, so if editing 4k make sure you have the x265 codec installed and a beefy cpu.

Oh and can't correct the barrel roll in the free version, so remember that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15