DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video stops recording by itself

Daniel15

Reactions
Palo Alto, CA (originally from Australia)
My wife bought me a Mavic Mini for my birthday. I've never used a drone before so I've been playing with it and seeing how it works. An issue I've experienced recently is that when I try to record a video, it records for a while (sometimes 20 seconds, sometimes 45-50 seconds) but then just stops recording by itself.

I'm using a brand new SanDisk Extreme 128 GB SD card, formatted in the drone. Searching around online, a lot of posts say that this could be due to a defective or fake SD card. I tested the card with CrystalDiskMark and get a sequential write speed of 82 Mb/s, which is close to SanDisk's advertised speed (90 Mb/s) and far higher than the maximum video bitrate listed in the Mini's specs (40 Mb/s). I also tested the card with h2testw and it appears to work fine.

Any ideas on how to debug this issue?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome!

My own 2 cents:
Read this: A short explanation of compass function, calibration and errors.

Fly without looking at your screen at first. Understand what drone orientation is, what the lights mean, and how to navigate without the display. (Saved me numerous times)

Set up your menu system before take off. Meaning set your RTH Altitude, your RTH action, etc... All before you take off.

Pretend like Sport mode doesn't exist.

Enjoy your new addiction. ?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now on to your question lol

...i have no idea

what are you recording in?
were you getting any error messages?

As a matter of interest are the size of the video files similar or dissimilar?

what are you recording in?
2.7k 30fps

were you getting any error messages?
I didn't see any error messages on my phone screen. It just... seemed to stop recording.

As a matter of interest are the size of the video files similar or dissimilar?
They're all similar. I have a 21 second clip that's 103 MB, a 45 second clip that's 218 MB, and a 4 second clip that's 21 MB, so each is around 40 Mbps. The fact that I could record a 45 second clip with no issues seems to imply that the memory card speed is fine?

My wife bought me a Mavic Mini for my birthday. I've never used a drone before so I've been playing with it and seeing how it works. An issue I've experienced recently is that when I try to record a video, it records for a while (sometimes 20 seconds, sometimes 45-50 seconds) but then just stops recording by itself.

I'm using a brand new SanDisk Extreme 128 GB SD card, formatted in the drone. Searching around online, a lot of posts say that this could be due to a defective or fake SD card. I tested the card with CrystalDiskMark and get a sequential write speed of 82 Mb/s, which is close to SanDisk's advertised speed (90 Mb/s) and far higher than the maximum video bitrate listed in the Mini's specs (40 Mb/s). I also tested the card with h2testw and it appears to work fine.

Any ideas on how to debug this issue?

Thanks!
What are the visual symptoms? I mean you are recording by pressing the "shutter" button. Then what happens? Could you be inadvertently hitting the shutter/stop/video button?

What are the rest of the specs of that card? It's "U" value, etc?

What are the rest of the specs of that card? It's "U" value, etc?
U3, A2, V30

I mean you are recording by pressing the "shutter" button. Then what happens? Could you be inadvertently hitting the shutter/stop/video button?
Right. I'm hitting the shutter button to record, then moving the drone around while watching the phone screen. At some point while I'm moving it around, it stops recording. It's possible I'm accidentally pressing the button, but it's happened a few times now. I'll pay closer attention next time and see if I can figure out a pattern.

I would try a different SD card just to eliminate the possibility of a defective card. That would eliminate one possible factor.

Reactions: ff22
Could it be an issue with a setting that caches video to the mobile device that you are using?
Try to uncheck that option (and try to change SD-card, and mind your fingers, as others have said).

So as an update here, I switched to a new SD card and haven't experienced the same issue. I switched to a Samsung Evo Select card. The card actually had slower benchmark speeds than the old SanDisk Extreme, but it's working a lot better.

I've tried so many brands of SD cards, and SanDisk is the only company I've had issues with. The high endurance card in my dashcam failed after less than a year, and a replacement failed too. Swapped that one for a Samsung last year. Going to stick to Samsung and Transcend from now on.

U3, A2, V30

Right. I'm hitting the shutter button to record, then moving the drone around while watching the phone screen. At some point while I'm moving it around, it stops recording. It's possible I'm accidentally pressing the button, but it's happened a few times now. I'll pay closer attention next time and see if I can figure out a pattern.
Did you manage to sort this out? I am having exactly the same issue and wondered if I had hit a button accidentally!

Did you manage to sort this out? I am having exactly the same issue and wondered if I had hit a button accidentally!
Are you using a Class 4 or Class 6 SD card? Some cameras drop frames if the SD card is too slow for the video data rate, but the Mini just stops recording. For 2.7K, you need a good Class 10 card. If your card is stamped Class 10, it could be a counterfeit. You can test the speed with a freeware program called CrystalDiskMark.

I haven't had any issues since I switched to a Samsung Evo Select card.

Are you using a Class 4 or Class 6 SD card? Some cameras drop frames if the SD card is too slow for the video data rate, but the Mini just stops recording. For 2.7K, you need a good Class 10 card. If your card is stamped Class 10, it could be a counterfeit. You can test the speed with a freeware program called CrystalDiskMark.
For Samsung cards, they have an official program you can use to verify that the card is legitimate. Samsung Memory Card Authentication Utility: SSD Tools & Software | Download | Samsung V-NAND SSD (last one on this page).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilTone