DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Videos resolution and Stills quality

SHRED

Reactions
My big screen TV is an older one with 1080 resolution max.
This is the highest resolution I own.
What benefit would filming at higher settings give me other than I'd have a recorded history for the day I upgrade?

Also, how is the Mavic for picture taking?
I haven't seen much on this.

You get slightly better video when you down scale the 4K to 1080P vs shooting natively in 1080P but this requires software which can be found for free and it requires a bit of time.

The main reason to shoot in 4K is just to future proof your video so it looks modern in the future. I edit and grade mine in 4K and then make a 4K version and a 1080P version. Like you I also do not have a 4K TV but when I get one I will have the videos to watch. Also serious YouTubers upload in 4K so that their content is not going to become dated looking.

Taking photos with the Mavic is like taking photos from a mid priced cell phone. They are ok but nothing spectacular. Thats why most people do not bother to talk about it much.

Rob

You get slightly better video when you down scale the 4K to 1080P vs shooting natively in 1080P but this requires software which can be found for free and it requires a bit of time.

The main reason to shoot in 4K is just to future proof your video so it looks modern in the future. I edit and grade mine in 4K and then make a 4K version and a 1080P version. Like you I also do not have a 4K TV but when I get one I will have the videos to watch. Also serious YouTubers upload in 4K so that their content is not going to become dated looking.

Taking photos with the Mavic is like taking photos from a mid priced cell phone. They are ok but nothing spectacular. Thats why most people do not bother to talk about it much.

Rob
Thanks for the informative reply Rob.
Would it make sense instead of taking pictures to grab frames from video as pictures?
I'm learning as you can tell...lol.

Thanks for the informative reply Rob.
Would it make sense instead of taking pictures to grab frames from video as pictures?
I'm learning as you can tell...lol.

Happy to help out. Welcome to the wonderful world of the Mavic. It's not the best camera but it's good enough if you work within its limits and the drone itself is certainly the most versatile and fun drone you can buy.

Your not going to get better images by grabbing a still frame. The actual pictures are better than any single frame and you have more versatility since the 180 rule is not needed for taking still photographs.

Try taking some Raw shots and play with the settings and lighting angles. It can take a good picture if you understand how to work within its low dynamic range and then do some correction work in post.

Rob

Another thing...is the Phantom 3 Advanced capable of much better picture taking?
They are kind of similar but each might seem 'better' in some situations.
The Mavic can do good stills especially from RAW, and sceenshots from 4K are more than adequate for web use at smaller size.
After gradually getting to grips with Mavic and being hyper-critical of early results, a lot of my older video and stills from Phantom 3 now seem have plenty of problems. :oops:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr