DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vision Position Sensor help

markster33139

Reactions
I am having an issue in 2 out of my last 3 flights that has me really concerned with this drone. Let me preface by saying that drone was never out of LOS, I rarely do. The first time the drone was about 600 feet away and I was bringing it back to me when at first it started to climb and then started to land. I was at the beach flying along great but not over water. An X appeared on screen to cancel what I presume was the landing, but it didn't work. I could not stop the drone from descending but I could control it's forward flight. I got lucky and it landed on the sand about 40 feet from me. The second time this happened which was today, it was flying completely normal and then all of a sudden it started to land again and gave no warnings, did not say it was returning to home and that X appeared again but pressing it did nothing. This time the drone was only about 200 feet away. Again, I could not stop it descending, and I noticed the VPS indicator was red. I turned the drone towards me and was able to fly it towards my direction. As it got about 50 feet away the X went away, the VPS indicator went back to normal and I was able to regain control. I am currently in Bali but I don't know if that matters as this never happened before at home. Any ideas or help would be appreciated as I have had two lucky escapes and I don't want to push my luck. The DJI app gives no error warnings of any kind before flight and everything is updated to the latest software.

Is it possible that it was water disturbing the vision sensor and wanting to land? I would turn off the vision sensor (as suggested by many who fly over water)

90% of the very few hours (so far) I've flown the Mavic has been over water.
I've found that when it gets down to approx. 6' or less over water, it has the same issues and has on occasion triggered the sensors and attempted to go into landing mode.
Not sure if that helps but that's been my experience.

Everything I'm reading is saying to turn the VPS off if you are under 16 ft. or (5 meters) above water.

Everything I'm reading is saying to turn the VPS off if you are under 16 ft. or (5 meters) above water.
Thanks for that tip, Brother.
I'll certainly be looking to do something....a few weeks ago I was doing a fast and low flight probably 2' or less from the surface of the water.
When I approached a few unexpected obstacles ( geese or ducks, not sure which ) I had to "hit the brakes" and when I did it went into landing mode.
That'll get the pulse racing a bit...but with a quick and steady "up" on the joy stick I breathed a sigh of relief when the bird began to climb.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird