DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Visiting California from UK.

Reactions
Hi,

We , myself, fiancee Danielle and boys Ross and Jack are holidaying in California over Christmas. Flying to LA then driving to Las Vegas for a few days during which we are getting married!

Not taking our Mavic as 1. Not sure of Regulations there and 2. Generally a bit of hassle! Any views on that appreciated.

Thinking of visiting the Grand Canyon Skywalk so should be able to get some good aerial shots then!

Leave Vegas 26th and break the journey at Victorville to stop at Route 66 museum. Then on to Santa Barbara to relax along the coast before travelling back New Years Day.

We both passed our RPCofC and have started a business providing drone services , early stages.

Any advice for the trip would be much appreciated.

Best regards

Martin

Hi,

We , myself, fiancee Danielle and boys Ross and Jack are holidaying in California over Christmas. Flying to LA then driving to Las Vegas for a few days during which we are getting married!

Not taking our Mavic as 1. Not sure of Regulations there and 2. Generally a bit of hassle! Any views on that appreciated.

Thinking of visiting the Grand Canyon Skywalk so should be able to get some good aerial shots then!

Leave Vegas 26th and break the journey at Victorville to stop at Route 66 museum. Then on to Santa Barbara to relax along the coast before travelling back New Years Day.

We both passed our RPCofC and have started a business providing drone services , early stages.

Best regards

Martin
What is RPCofC?

welcome to the forum ,if you did want to fly in the US you will need the new TRUST certificate its similar to our Flier ID test its free and lasts for ever ,just out of interest i took it on line and i printed out mine which i passed with flying colours

welcome to the forum ,if you did want to fly in the US you will need the new TRUST certificate its similar to our Flier ID test its free and lasts for ever ,just out of interest i took it on line and i printed out mine which i passed with flying colours
I thought flier ID lasts five years?

Hello again from the Crossroads of America Martin H Mullins.

Congratulations on the marriage. Maybe Elvis (impersonator) will perform the ceremony for you.

Have fun and welcome to the USA. :)

Is asking the real Elvis really, really, politely to wake up for five minutes not an option then?

@TheSnowyPilot ,my young friend,i hope that your post above ,was just an attempt at some humour, and not just naivety
to answer you reply about the TRUST requirement it is the US test equivalent of our Flier ID test

@TheSnowyPilot ,my young friend,i hope that your post above ,was just an attempt at some humour, and not just naivety
to answer you reply about the TRUST requirement it is the US test equivalent of our Flier ID test
Oh, no, I know the real Elvis is um, unable to ‘wake up’.

Welcome Back to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

Hi,

Best regards

Martin
What a trip. Took my Spark to Florida 2018/19 and all good. Have a look at the FAA drone website and any questions you have I have found them really helpful. Almost reply by return (not something we’re used to here!!). There are some clear things you need to to do to store your batteries during commercial flights on all carriers here and there. These are on their websites and I ended up buying some special bags to put them in. I too have taken the Trust exam-a sensible but very easy process that you can’t fail!! I did mine in 25 mins and have a super new Certificate to show for it. Your drone/s need to be registered as do you-all easy to do and $5/10 apiece so won’t break the bank. A very layman’s set of pointers but hope they help

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Best to leave the chopper home.......as @old man mavic mentioned you would need TRUST...which is incredibly easy to obtain...but for the bird you would have to register it with FAA as it is over 250 grams...that only costs 5 US$ ...and I believe there are further stipulations for non US citizens ( I forget where I read that...so it could be wrong) you can find all you want to know about it at FAA Drone Zone ( FAADroneZone ) .....you would not be able to use it at all at the Grand Canyon...however you can take a helicopter trip ( it was about 425 US$ ...2 years ago) and get photos and video...breathtaking.... ...enjoy your trip and wedded life

Last edited:
As @MARK (LI) pointed out, you won't be able to drone in/near the Grand Canyon due it being a U.S. National Park. If you have the B4UFLY app, it will probably show up as a NFZ.

Enjoy your trip to the Southwestern US - Congrats to Danielle and you on your wedding. May you have many years of happiness together!

Welcome! While in Santa Barbara plan to take a day trip to the Santa Ynez valley, just over the coastal mountains. Lots of wine tasting opportunities (100's of winerys and wine tasting rooms) and beautiful scenery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake