DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VLOS and Night Flights For Hobbyist

WinterRanger

Reactions
I've come back into flying drones after being out for a while. So I'm trying to make sure I understand all the rules as a hobbyist. One rule that I'm having trouble with is night flying.

As a Hobbyist:

I know I must have a strobe that is visible from 3 SM.

I know that for me and my Mini 4 Pro this will put me over 250 grams

I know that means I must register my drone

I know I will need to get the larger capacity battery so my Remote ID is transmitted

Here comes the part I can't understand. Regardless if you are a recreational pilot or commercial pilot you must maintain VLOS. Per 107 that's defined as the following:

With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;
(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;
(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and
(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

So here's the question. How does someone fly at night and adhere to 107's definition of VLOS (especially what's in bold)? Is the strobe considered "any device"?

Reactions: GhostRider2024
If you are a recreational flyer then you are flying under the exception and instead of reading the different part 107 sections, you need to refer to your CBO for guidance outside the "basics."

Reactions: Cafguy
I've come back into flying drones after being out for a while. So I'm trying to make sure I understand all the rules as a hobbyist. One rule that I'm having trouble with is night flying.

As a Hobbyist:

I know I must have a strobe that is visible from 3 SM.

I know that for me and my Mini 4 Pro this will put me over 250 grams

I know that means I must register my drone

I know I will need to get the larger capacity battery so my Remote ID is transmitted

Here comes the part I can't understand. Regardless if you are a recreational pilot or commercial pilot you must maintain VLOS. Per 107 that's defined as the following:

With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;
(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;
(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and
(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

So here's the question. How does someone fly at night and adhere to 107's definition of VLOS (especially what's in bold)? Is the strobe considered "any device"?

Read rule (2) a couple of times.

"Direction of flight"

Much like a boat in the dark, proper navigation lights will help to know the orientation of the aircraft at night.

A single strobe may not be enough to determine which way it's pointing when relying on VLOS if you have a device failure and no telemetry.

☮️

Reactions: bcfd29
If you are a recreational flyer then you are flying under the exception and instead of reading the different part 107 sections, you need to refer to your CBO for guidance outside the "basics."
Good point. So in this case I think that would be AMA. I believe they state that you need a strobe to fly at night.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr