DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VLOS survey

Do you always maintain VLOS (Visual line of sight) when flying?

• Yes

Votes: 41 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 96 54.5%
  • I plead the 5th

Votes: 39 22.2%

• Total voters
I do keep VLOS.. but I will say.. mostly because I'm still too nervous (ie: chicken chit) about letting 'er outta my VLOS. :(

It's impossible. Once I glance down at the RC and look up I can no longer find the MP against the background of trees. That's at about 300'.

LOL! This happened to me today.

I'm pretty new to drones. I've been flying the Spark last couple of months and last week got a MP. Being new I try to keep a VLOS. But with increasing distance and altitude, sun in your eyes or dark backgrounds, these little guys are hard to see.

Reactions: Drgnfli
FYI for those who do not live in the USA.

A brilliant addition by James Madison.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

My bionic eye hasn't been working real well lately. I have a hard time see it when it is 100 feet away. Thank god for the sound, without that I would never be able to find it.

I don't live there and what?

It was information for those who don't live in the USA and may not be familiar with the fifth amendment to the constitution. The poll has a third option of , "plead the fifth."

It is a reference to the fifth amendment of the constitution of the USA. As many people in this forum post from other countries, it was an attempt to clarify a reference that may not be well known to non USA citizens.

The Fifth Amendment prohibits government officials from abusing their authority during legal proceedings. It also protects individuals from self-incrimination. When an individual chooses to plead the fifth, he/she cannot be required to answer any questions or provide any information that may incriminate him/her.

yes.. the YES was running at 10% for most of the survey then switched to 18% over time. Maybe folks are thinking Big Brother is watching.

I try to keep VLOS, but poor eyesight means that I can lose sight of it at longer distances. I have 2 white Strobes on the underside which helps, though bright sun negates their usefulness. When I do lose sight I'll point the camera down to get my bearings and if that doesn't work I hit the RTH button and wait for it to come back into sight again.

You know, literally, when you get up a couple hundred feet or more it is basically almost impossible to keep line of sight. The bright sun, obstacles, trying to look up and also down at the same time at the controller, even the tiny drone high in the sky, all make it almost impossible to keep it in sight. So I feel better about my vote now. We do, after all, have the drone's eye at our fingertips LITERALLY.

Reactions: Texas Mavic
I keep VLOS at all times. I almost exclusively fly at night and even with the stock lighting system you can see well over a mile. Add some landing lights and Strobons and you can go well past 2 and still have VLOS.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarstenG