DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Guy - Volume Quantities

stonehillexcavation

Reactions
Site
www.stonehillexcavation.com
My boss ordered a Mavic 3E today so we can start to survey stockpiles for aggregate quantities. I watched a youtube video of someone using DJI Terra and it looks super easy... but we don't want to spend thousands on software only for this purpose. Are there any decent free or inexpensive apps that can do this? My internet search came up with WebODM as an option. Has anyone used that with success?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Hello from the Crossroads of America stonehillexcavation.

We have quarries in my area and always wondered as a child how they got so much stone and sand out of a pit that never got any bigger over the years?

Then I learned they actually mine the stuff from underneath. :D

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

My boss ordered a Mavic 3E today so we can start to survey stockpiles for aggregate quantities. I watched a youtube video of someone using DJI Terra and it looks super easy...

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

I would ask you first, does your boss have a Part 107 Certification to fly a drone or employ someone who has this certification to pilot that drone for business… If not, that is in violation so many FAA rules and Regulations…

So; if not, then your boss needs to stop spending money on these new toys and spend $175 and get a certification…

Fly Safe…

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

"survey stockpiles for aggregate quantities"
I think I know what this is.

I usually look for new members, there experience of flying objects in the air with a remote.

@LoudThunder picked up boss thing which is a good question.
For many reasons in our world today. :rolleyes: 👌

Rod ..

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

@LoudThunder picked up boss thing which is a good question.
For many reasons in our world today. :rolleyes: 👌
As a follow up to my thoughts, if you have the interest in a Part 107 certification, perhaps your boss will spring for the training for you and pay for the Exam.

Hey, you can tell him that its cheaper than the fine would have to pay if caught...

And if your boss agrees, I would recommend the Pilot Institue's Part 107 Course...

Aviation School: Free & Paid Pilot Training Classes - Pilot Institute

Good Luck,

LT Out...

Reactions: wjkrysak and RodPad
My boss ordered a Mavic 3E today so we can start to survey stockpiles for aggregate quantities. I watched a youtube video of someone using DJI Terra and it looks super easy... but we don't want to spend thousands on software only for this purpose. Are there any decent free or inexpensive apps that can do this? My internet search came up with WebODM as an option. Has anyone used that with success?
Thanks!
Yes - you can use WebODM for his purpose. I personally haven't used it for that, but it's in the book!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne