DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New but not that new

cabinfourus

Reactions
Hi everyone,
My name is John Johnson, and I am also a member of Yuneecpilots forums. I own and operate a lot of UAVs. This originally started as a hobby and turned into a near cause for divorce. I would hate to see the total amount I have spent with my hobby, but I enjoy it and that is what matters.

My first drone was a Syma, and it was a cheap DJI knock off. I figured I couldn't lose if I didn't spend a lot of money on it, and crashed it. I learned to fly this cheap Syma pretty quickly and moved to some more expensive drones. As of today, I own and operate many different name brand drones.
Two Yuneec Typhoon H
Two Yuneec Typhoon H Plus
Two Yuneec Q500
One Yuneec Breeze
Two Holy Stone HS720g
One DJI Phantom 3 Pro
One DJI Mini 2
One DJI Inspire 2

I have been very pleased with all of these drones, but my absolute favorite is the Yuneec Q500. It is very simple and easy to fly and came with a nice camera and gimbal. Yuneec lost me when they closed up shop without letting their customers know. You couldn't get any support and had to repair everything yourself, so needless to say, I learned how to repair my drones. Then I found that I couldn't get certain parts and looked for ways to make my own. So, I had to start a new hobby and learned all I could about 3D printing. I built my own printer and laser scanner, so I could print drone parts.
Since Yuneec left its customers high and dry, I moved to DJI drones. I purchased the Phantom 3 Pro from a Goodwill auction site for 60 bucks and fell in love with it. I then purchased an Inspire 2 to do some video work for our local high school and noticed dust building on my Yuneec drones. Recently, I wanted to purchase a small, lightweight drone that I could take on nature hikes without the need for a backpack. I did some homework and learned about the program DJI started that required a drone to be bound to an account. I didn't want to buy a 2nd hand drone that I wouldn't be able to use. After this, I purchased the Mini 2 on eBay and found the power button was damaged. So now, I am about to embark on a new journey with my Mini 2 and solder a new power button to the main board. Hopefully all will go as planned. Someone has stuffed tinfoil in the power button. It worked but not as it should.
I have been very pleased with all of my drones and the quality each of them produce. I live in the mountains of NC and have plenty of places to fly them.
Over the years, I have learned that I enjoy repairing them more than I do flying them. I think It is the challenge of the repair that I like so much. With that said, I am building on my coding skills, so I can learn to work with firmware for these birds and write software needed for some repairs, like gimbal calibrations. I also learned all I could about batteries and build most of the batteries I use.

That is really all there is to know about me. I do want to say that I was joking about this hobby nearly costing me my marriage. I have a wonderful wife, and we have been married for 18 years. She lets me spend as much as I want, and I love her for it. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this large community and I hope I can contribute and help.

Hello from the Crossroads of America cabinfourus

Nice to meet you John. 🤝

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Hi everyone,
My name is John Johnson, and I am also a member of Yuneecpilots forums. I own and operate a lot of UAVs. This originally started as a hobby and turned into a near cause for divorce. I would hate to see the total amount I have spent with my hobby, but I enjoy it and that is what matters.

My first drone was a Syma, and it was a cheap DJI knock off. I figured I couldn't lose if I didn't spend a lot of money on it, and crashed it. I learned to fly this cheap Syma pretty quickly and moved to some more expensive drones. As of today, I own and operate many different name brand drones.
Two Yuneec Typhoon H
Two Yuneec Typhoon H Plus
Two Yuneec Q500
One Yuneec Breeze
Two Holy Stone HS720g
One DJI Phantom 3 Pro
One DJI Mini 2
One DJI Inspire 2

I have been very pleased with all of these drones, but my absolute favorite is the Yuneec Q500. It is very simple and easy to fly and came with a nice camera and gimbal. Yuneec lost me when they closed up shop without letting their customers know. You couldn't get any support and had to repair everything yourself, so needless to say, I learned how to repair my drones. Then I found that I couldn't get certain parts and looked for ways to make my own. So, I had to start a new hobby and learned all I could about 3D printing. I built my own printer and laser scanner, so I could print drone parts.
Since Yuneec left its customers high and dry, I moved to DJI drones. I purchased the Phantom 3 Pro from a Goodwill auction site for 60 bucks and fell in love with it. I then purchased an Inspire 2 to do some video work for our local high school and noticed dust building on my Yuneec drones. Recently, I wanted to purchase a small, lightweight drone that I could take on nature hikes without the need for a backpack. I did some homework and learned about the program DJI started that required a drone to be bound to an account. I didn't want to buy a 2nd hand drone that I wouldn't be able to use. After this, I purchased the Mini 2 on eBay and found the power button was damaged. So now, I am about to embark on a new journey with my Mini 2 and solder a new power button to the main board. Hopefully all will go as planned. Someone has stuffed tinfoil in the power button. It worked but not as it should.
I have been very pleased with all of my drones and the quality each of them produce. I live in the mountains of NC and have plenty of places to fly them.
Over the years, I have learned that I enjoy repairing them more than I do flying them. I think It is the challenge of the repair that I like so much. With that said, I am building on my coding skills, so I can learn to work with firmware for these birds and write software needed for some repairs, like gimbal calibrations. I also learned all I could about batteries and build most of the batteries I use.

That is really all there is to know about me. I do want to say that I was joking about this hobby nearly costing me my marriage. I have a wonderful wife, and we have been married for 18 years. She lets me spend as much as I want, and I love her for it. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this large community and I hope I can contribute and help.
Welcome.

My name is John Johnson,

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

As for the hobby almost costing you your marriage, I imagine that it centers on your name, Too many "Johns…" How could she ever write you a "Dear john" letter… L 😁 L . . .

Fly Safe…

Welcome to the forum! :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N