DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Volunteered my services for the SWAT team today

Lapeer20m

Reactions
Just leaving work I ran across a message that the police in the next county had a major incident ongoing. This was on my way home, so I took a risk and stopped to ask if they would like to utilize my drone, even though I didn't know what was going on.

I approached the scene and there were about 20 police cars, an ambulance and other vehicles parked in the road. All with lights off and not a single person Anywhere around.

I approached the mobile command center, which is basically a motorhome. I still didn't see anyone, so I turned around to leave.....then I decided to knock on the door of the command center. The door opened, and it was filled with officers, including the sheriff and local chief of police.

I introduced myself and offered to fly my mavic if they thought it would be a useful tool.

It turns out they were dealing with a barricaded gunman inside a house and were more than happy to allow me the opportunity to peer inside the Windows, especially on the 2nd story.

The house was about a quarter mile away mostly surrounded by trees. Wind was blowing about 15-20 mph and the temperature was just below freezing.

It was tough flying conditions, but I was able to get reasonably close to each of the Windows and peer inside, although I was not able to see the subject.

Once back inside the command center, I pulled up the video on my laptop for all to see.

They were appreciative and will likely be purchasing a drone for themselves.

I don't know how it ended, but they were sending in the swat team as I was leaving.

That's the great thing about the Mavic. It is so portable that I always have it in my car; you never know when it will come in handy.

Did you turn off the red LED's before going to the windows? It would have made it less noticeable from inside. I also wonder if they would have covered your cost if the bad guy put a bullet in it.

My LEDs were off.

I think they automatically turn off while recording if there is an sd card inserted.

We didn't talk about what would happen if mavic was shot down. I'd like to think they would cover the replacement cost. Even if they didn't, I'd at least have a good story to tell. Besides, it would give me the excuse I need to purchase that matrice 210.

My LEDs were off.

I think they automatically turn off while recording if there is an sd card inserted.

We didn't talk about what would happen if mavic was shot down. I'd like to think they would cover the replacement cost. Even if they didn't, I'd at least have a good story to tell. Besides, it would give me the excuse I need to purchase that matrice 210.
The default setting is the red LED's turn off when recording and I am guessing you started the recording before you got to the windows.

I like your thinking about the Matrice :).

My LEDs were off.

Any idea what they will cost?

Just leaving work I ran across a message that the police in the next county had a major incident ongoing. This was on my way home, so I took a risk and stopped to ask if they would like to utilize my drone, even though I didn't know what was going on.

I approached the scene and there were about 20 police cars, an ambulance and other vehicles parked in the road. All with lights off and not a single person Anywhere around.

I approached the mobile command center, which is basically a motorhome. I still didn't see anyone, so I turned around to leave.....then I decided to knock on the door of the command center. The door opened, and it was filled with officers, including the sheriff and local chief of police.

I introduced myself and offered to fly my mavic if they thought it would be a useful tool.

It turns out they were dealing with a barricaded gunman inside a house and were more than happy to allow me the opportunity to peer inside the Windows, especially on the 2nd story.

The house was about a quarter mile away mostly surrounded by trees. Wind was blowing about 15-20 mph and the temperature was just below freezing.

It was tough flying conditions, but I was able to get reasonably close to each of the Windows and peer inside, although I was not able to see the subject.

Once back inside the command center, I pulled up the video on my laptop for all to see.

I don't know how it ended, but they were sending in the swat team as I was leaving.
What a very cool experience!

Any idea what they will cost?

A matrice 210?

The drone plus a pair of cameras is likely in excess of $20k

They make 2 versions of the flir camera, but you would really want the better version. Now they also sell a regular camera with like a 180x zoom....so I'd want that too.

I think the drone itself is only about $5k depending on how it is configured.

A matrice 210?

The drone plus a pair of cameras is likely in excess of $20k

They make 2 versions of the flir camera, but you would really want the better version. Now they also sell a regular camera with like a 180x zoom....so I'd want that too.

I think the drone itself is only about $5k depending on how it is configured.
Sooooooo it's not going to be the go-between from a Mavic/OR and the Inspire 2. Rather 2 20k machine with an app that crashes constantly. Too bad.

180x zoom is legit tho.

Cool story. Do you have your batts fully charged and ready to go all the time? I only charge if I plan to fly the same day, or the next.

Nice job! Thank you for helping Law Enforcement. It's great to see people step up to help.

Reactions: Crocket1158
Have popcorn, waiting for movie to start;)

Edit: Uh, never mind popcorn got moldy and this is a 2-year old thread...

Good job though, have they called you for more help with calls or maybe even training recently?

Cool story. Do you have your batts fully charged and ready to go all the time? I only charge if I plan to fly the same day, or the next.

my apologies for eh 2 year delay.....

oh yeah, I generally keep my batteries fully charged and Carry mavic in my car almost everywhere I go.

3 years in and one of my batteries is starting to get puffy. I’m super impressed with mavic batteries. I’ve abused these over and over again. When I’m trying to do long continuous flights, I use ice packs or ac vents to cool them enough that they’ll begin charging.

no more stories of helping police, but I have been fortunate enough to get permission from
The local fire chief to shoot videos of their fires.

Reactions: AMann
Are you a 107 holder or just hobbiest?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom