DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Waldo Lake, Oregon

SethB

Reactions
Just got around to editing this piece. Filmed in 4k on a Mini 2 early one morning in July 2021. It was an unfortunately short session due to being devoured by mosquitos.

Footage from DJI Mini 2.
Stills from Mini 2 and Canon EOS 80D.
Edited and color graded in Premiere Pro CC.
Music by Benjamin Tissot of bensound.com.

Comments and constructive criticism welcome!

Last edited:
I Iove Waldo Lake and have not been there in years. I hear you about the Mosquitos, if you are there too early in the season they can be brutal. Many people don't know this but Waldo Lake is one of the deepest lakes in Oregon at over 700 feet deep. The clarity of the blue water is amazing. I took my sailboat out there and I was amazed how far down you could see to the bottom in places....

Reactions: SethB
Very nice film with well matched music. Well done.
It does really highlight the Mini 2’s limitations in dynamic range, as all shadows are just black silhouettes. But you can’t do too much about that.

Send us more. BTW, I live in MN so I know how bad mosquitoes can be.

That answers the question, "Where's Waldo?"! Anyways nice video. Was it shot 60p because the birds flying looked strange, stuttery.

That answers the question, "Where's Waldo?"! Anyways nice video. Was it shot 60p because the birds flying looked strange, stuttery.
Filmed 4k/30p, and slowed 50% using Optical Flow method in Premiere.

On the other hand, those birds were snatching mosquitos out of the air, and don’t fly as smooth as one might expect.

The bird action was an accidental find; they were a bit too far away and moving too fast to see with the naked eye. If I had known they were there I’d have set for 2.7k/60p!

Very nice film with well matched music. Well done.
It does really highlight the Mini 2’s limitations in dynamic range, as all shadows are just black silhouettes. But you can’t do too much about that.

Send us more. BTW, I live in MN so I know how bad mosquitoes can be.
Thanks for the comments! I’ve never been to MN, but the mosquitos’ reputation is well known!

Sadly, our camping season has been pushed earlier and earlier to avoid late season wildfires. In years gone by we’ve really enjoyed the late season… and lack of mosquitos!

I won’t argue with you about the sensor/processor limitations in the little Mini 2, they’re real… but there was more shadow detail available than you see in the finished color grade. I was feeling the dark/mysterious when I graded the slow-fly-along-the-shoreline clip.

This was shortly after sunrise, and it really was deep shadows on the shady side of the trees!

Good work Thumbswayup

I like it! The opening upward pan to reveal the lake was really good! Keep up the good work!

Just got around to editing this piece. Filmed in 4k on a Mini 2 early one morning in July 2021. It was an unfortunately short session due to being devoured by mosquitos.

Footage from DJI Mini 2.
Stills from Mini 2 and Canon EOS 80D.
Edited and color graded in Premiere Pro CC.
Music by Benjamin Tissot of bensound.com.

Comments and constructive criticism welcome!
Beautiful, and the session length was fine.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22