DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wall Printing Drone

roineust

Reactions
Is it possible to build the following drone, based on a DJI platform, what DJI model would that be?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Gindra
No. At least not without an amount of modification that would make starting from scratch a better option.

Reactions: roineust
X8 platform in the video. I’ve not seen a DJI product with an x8 frame. The frame and motor setup isn’t that difficult to build. Probably can be ordered off the net. The rest of that, ???? More work than I would want to be wrapped around.
Were you a part of this original concept?

X8 platform in the video. I’ve not seen a DJI product with an x8 frame. The frame and motor setup isn’t that difficult to build. Probably can be ordered off the net. The rest of that, ???? More work than I would want to be wrapped around.
Were you a part of this original concept?

Yes, most of it is my work.

The development part that was more focused on printing functionality, was done by building the following module and then adapting it to work with the drone:

Besides that, there was also an earlier version, using spray, that actually flew to the wall:

And other versions, that went higher and bigger (using spray rather than ink-jet):

Last edited:
From what I see, you want this unit to be able to print on something not accessible from a ladder?
In the video, it has something the unit bumps up against to hold position.
That will be a tricky task to accommodate out in the field.

Leonardo da Vinci would probably have a heart attack while watching that print in ten minutes what would take him weeks!

• Haha
Reactions: AMann and roineust
From what I see, you want this unit to be able to print on something not accessible from a ladder?
In the video, it has something the unit bumps up against to hold position.
That will be a tricky task to accommodate out in the field.

The drone drives against the wall, all 4 wheels are in full contact with the wall.
Printing at ink-jet resolutions (15-2000 DPI) is extremely hard if not impossible to accomplish, just by hovering near the wall, there is a need to physically lean against the wall.

Last edited:
This is the best resolution that can be achieved with current technology, for printing without leaning against the wall:

Last edited:
I played around with making a large frame to mount an Arduino controlled sprayer to make large wall murals once. The drones fitted with ultrasonic wall distance sensors are good idea, However I would’ve tethered them for power and possibly even paint. I wonder if they are using a camera with the base computer to control their position on the wall? It would be fairly easy to do, and one can use a IR beacon on each drone for the camera to precisely detect their position on the painting.

He was an inventor so maybe not.
He was an inventor so maybe not.
You are right, see my avatar? Leonardo's secret drone drawings were centuries ahead of his time! ;) Even Michelangelo would have used drones to paint the ceilings of the Sistine Chapel had he been given the chance!

Actually it’s in its infancy but this technology will be really a big step for mural artists. One day, Banksy might even do it...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka