DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wall Street Journal Article today-very disturbing

I've found that wearing a safety vest indicating you're a an FAA licensed drone pilot bodes well for public perception and PR. Lots of pockets too, one of which carries pepper spray.
I use an ‘FAA Certified’ safety vest when flying and it has been effective in shielding me from curiously offensive observers. These vests are inexpensive and worthwhile.

Reactions: snowghost
I've found that wearing a safety vest indicating you're a an FAA licensed drone pilot bodes well for public perception and PR. Lots of pockets too, one of which carries pepper spray.
Pepper spray. Interesting idea, but probably won’t do well for public perception. I found some time ago that the public is just not part of my flying hobby. More enjoyable when I’m alone.

Are you kidding me...did you read the article?
The article states that ANYONE can buy a cheap drone at WallMart and rig it to deliver an explosive...Now you tell me that wasn't talking about an everyday citizen...if you can't see that ...you have a problem!

You can weaponize just about anything you buy. Drones are just the latest way to get the attention of DC Bureaucrats.

This is a constant battle that has moved from the feds to the states.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
"Hobby drones cost a few hundred dollars and can be rigged with explosives."

You mean I can do that with my Mavic Mini 2? How interesting. A new way to go hunting?

Realistically, this is about as accurate as any other kind of popular press hype. Maybe drones that cost a few thousand can pose a threat, but small cheap ones? Are the good small cheap drones being hidden from us consumers?

As a former army artillery officer, I can accurately state that our forces face all kinds of unconventional threats, and have for decades. There's nothing new here, except the hype. Threat capable drones have been around for years, and have been slowly getting better over time. And of course there's the random use of hobby/consumer drones to harass forces, but given their limited range, limited payload and the need for a human operator, how much of a threat are they, compared to all the other tools a fighter (conventional or not) has at their disposal?

Whenever I see an article like this, I always ask "why" and "how" it got published. More likely than not a defense contractor seeking increased funding is behind it. A feature of these PR driven articles is often vagueness, which this article has in spades.

You mean I can do that with my Mavic Mini 2? How interesting. A new way to go hunting?

Realistically, this is about as accurate as any other kind of popular press hype. Maybe drones that cost a few thousand can pose a threat, but small cheap ones? Are the good small cheap drones being hidden from us consumers?

As a former army artillery officer, I can accurately state that our forces face all kinds of unconventional threats, and have for decades. There's nothing new here, except the hype. Threat capable drones have been around for years, and have been slowly getting better over time. And of course there's the random use of hobby/consumer drones to harass forces, but given their limited range, limited payload and the need for a human operator, how much of a threat are they, compared to all the other tools a fighter (conventional or not) has at their disposal?

Whenever I see an article like this, I always ask "why" and "how" it got published. More likely than not a defense contractor seeking increased funding is behind it. A feature of these PR driven articles is often vagueness, which this article has in spades.
I have to beg to differ with your analogy.. today's "hobby drones" are quite accurate and don't need pilot to fly it to target. Software readily available and being used today can autonomously fly drone to target without any input from pilot once he presses "GO". Ordnance package does not have to be any larger then a thermite grenade to do extensive damage to aircraft, armor or barracks. An older Mavic Pro has the ability to lift a grenade sized package and deliver it with great accuracy at a distance easily 2 miles or more. It is possible and it is being done by threat forces and they have done a lot of damage.

I remember a couple years back a young guy rigged his drone to fire a .45 Caliber handgun, then like an idiot posted it on YouTube shooting. The FBI and FAA were intensely interested in his creation.

I had a long discussion with a Boeing 777 pilot friend who was very interested in my P4P and what it could do. As well as the Part 107 certificate and what it entails. However, almost every other word out of his mouth was saying "but drones are creepy, invasive; impinging on people's privacy" etc.

After explaining how I research, develop and plan missions, utilize flight logs, check lists, he realized that drones are not the enemy. He even thought my preflight plannings were more comprehensive than a Cessna 172 pilot he flies with.
I’ve slowly come around to realizing that safely flying a drone is in many respects, more complicated than flying an airplane (I have a commercial pilot license). With an airplane you takeoff/land in a defined safe space with all the terrain around the airport carefully surveyed to minimize dangers, etc etc. With drone we do our homework and surveys as best we can but as I discovered recently, because of the sun direction, I didn’t see a fine wire strung between the lamp posts. I’ve become paranoid about careful preflight checks but this is much more complicated from departing an airport.

I think the most important thing.
Is to be careful while enjoying our hobby we have forces that want that airspace. The less we do to a track attention the better.
Most do not condone stupid behavior. Otherwise things can get worse

Whoops! Looks like I have unleashed a torrent of negativity. Sorry for that. When an article about easily purchased, off the shelf consumer drones appears on the front page of a major countrywide newspaper, it just gives me the creeps that this riles up the general public. I am only trying to make my beloved drone community aware of this negative press, and again, to fly responsibly.

Dale
You done good to mention it. Thanks.

Having my morning coffee and reading the Wall Street Journal...found this article. It's a bit long, but it is certainly an ominous warning of the negative reactions the general public has of drones.

Military’s New Challenge: Fighting Cheap Hobby Drones
Military’s New Challenge: Fighting Cheap Hobby Drones

There’s big money to be made in defending against anything and the military supply industry has been pushing the threat of drones and solutions for several years now. I doubt that drones will ever be banned entirely because of this—they haven’t blanket-banned light aircraft and hang gliders. But I suspect remote ID and registration (in force or coming into force in various parts of the world) will become more stringent. I wonder how long it will be before kamikaze wing-suit flyers get into the act…

It's a long way from a "demonstration" to something actually useful. Some things that look obvious on the surface are less useful in practice. Let's just consider that the cheap consumer drones mentioned in the article have limited payload, limited range and require LOS for accurate targeting. In most cases, an RPG would be much more effective under the same conditions.

Active research? Of course. We research many theoretical threats, as we should. So what? You know how many theoretical threats (active research...) amount to anything?
Theoretically, I could weoponis
I'm surprised, given your background, that you are unaware of the demonstrated weaponization of consumer drones. Countering them is an active research area, both in the public and private sectors. How long ago did you retire?
Are they working on countering folks from using their weaponized self-propelled consumer lawnmowers to take out a crowd? Sheesh! I could weaponize my toaster with the proper motivation!

Theoretically, I could weoponis

Are they working on countering folks from using their weaponized self-propelled consumer lawnmowers to take out a crowd? Sheesh! I could weaponize my toaster with the proper motivation!
Lawnmowers have so far not turned out to be a significant threat in combat situations, and I'm not aware of any efforts to figure out how to deal with them.

I also used to be Military (Early Warning and control) in a past life and in reading this article I catch the intent to primarily be about real drone/UAVs which are the ones that cost 500,000 and up and require specialized training to fly. Except for nation-states with bad intentions these are not something that homegrown terrorists are purchasing on the black market...
I think the intent of the article should have focused on the possibility of small sub-$4000 UASs being turned into something that can cause damage.
I did see an article back last fall about a UAS (unknown model/maker) that was found crashed on the ground at a power plant. (unknown city/state) The assumption was that it was there for no good because it had a long metal wire connected to it and was probably meant to cause a short in the system and affect the power grid. I never saw anything further on this event. The FBI/NSA/Homeland security got involved (probably) and we won't hear anything more.

So can our small drones be used for ill? Most definitely... Can this affect all of us in the future and our hobby? definitely. What can we do about it? not much except to pay attention and report suspicious happenings but outside of that... not much.
I am interested in it but don't spend much time worrying about it. I hope the powers to be can take appropriate measures to protect our country without grounding all of our UASs... Fingers crossed...

I also used to be Military (Early Warning and control) in a past life and in reading this article I catch the intent to primarily be about real drone/UAVs which are the ones that cost 500,000 and up and require specialized training to fly. Except for nation-states with bad intentions these are not something that homegrown terrorists are purchasing on the black market...
The article is specifically about consumer drones - it's right there in the title and it's all that the article discusses.
I think the intent of the article should have focused on the possibility of small sub-$4000 UASs being turned into something that can cause damage.
I did see an article back last fall about a UAS (unknown model/maker) that was found crashed on the ground at a power plant. (unknown city/state) The assumption was that it was there for no good because it had a long metal wire connected to it and was probably meant to cause a short in the system and affect the power grid. I never saw anything further on this event. The FBI/NSA/Homeland security got involved (probably) and we won't hear anything more.

So can our small drones be used for ill? Most definitely... Can this affect all of us in the future and our hobby? definitely. What can we do about it? not much except to pay attention and report suspicious happenings but outside of that... not much.
I am interested in it but don't spend much time worrying about it. I hope the powers to be can take appropriate measures to protect our country without grounding all of our UASs... Fingers crossed...
I really don't think that this is an issue of any kind for the regular buyers and users of these things. It's not going to result in outlawing consumer drones and, in any case, anyone with a little technical skill and access to the internet can build equally capable drones with commonly available COTS parts. The technology is already available to deal with the threat - it just needs to be harnessed and deployed.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique