DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wanting me to calibrate compass EVERY time?

kaitlyn

Reactions
For starters - I've owned both the Phantom 4 and the Mavic 1. Now with my Mavic 2, it is warning me of mag interference and I need to calibrate - but it is asking me to do this virtually every single time.

I've both calibrated and ignored it and haven't noticed any kind of difference... so, what gives? Once I do calibrate it, I do not get any sort of warning about it until the next flight

Getting a magnetic interference warning is not completely abnormal however suggesting that you re-calibrate each time could be indicative of a bad compass.

I just received my Mavic pro 2 yesterday and was setting it up and had it sitting on the table and it said magnetic Interference until I opened the legs of the aircraft and it went away, lol

Things I have read that may cause this:
Storing the mavic on top of an old TV or stereo speaker.
Magnetic bracelets, watchbands and smart watches.
Magnetic "smart" covers on devices.
Launching from a car hood

Try reflashing the firmware.

Things I have read that may cause this:
Storing the mavic on top of an old TV or stereo speaker.
Magnetic bracelets, watchbands and smart watches.
Magnetic "smart" covers on devices.
Launching from a car hood

Try reflashing the firmware.

So pretty much anything that may been found to cause cancer in the state of California :D

Have experienced similar situation with my MP2 but not on every single flight. If I calibrate in a given place, most probably it will not ask for it again. But if I move i.e. 50km / 31 miles, then it does.

Have experienced similar situation with my MP2 but not on every single flight. If I calibrate in a given place, most probably it will not ask for it again. But if I move i.e. 50km / 31 miles, then it does.
Since calibrating the compass has nothing to do with any distance from anywhere, your observation about distance must be a coincidence.
You need to look further to find what's causing the issue.
I'd start with the immediate location.
Where are you trying to start up, are you close to iron, steel, reinforced concrete or live electrical cables?

Since calibrating the compass has nothing to do with any distance from anywhere, your observation about distance must be a coincidence.
You need to look further to find what's causing the issue.
I'd start with the immediate location.
Where are you trying to start up, are you close to iron, steel, reinforced concrete or live electrical cables?

I'll have to do more testing for sure to see how this phenomenon will develop.

When you say close, what exactly do you mean? For example, there are electrical cables, at about 10m/32 feet from the spot I'm regularly taking off. Would that distance be considered close?

Or another example. If a car is parked at around 3 meters away the Mavic, would that be considered close?

Good information what @ac0j mentioned, I wasn't aware of that. I'm storing my Mavic on backpack along with my DSLR and its external flash. I'll try change that for a while and see if helps.

When you say close, what exactly do you mean? For example, there are electrical cables, at about 10m/32 feet from the spot I'm regularly taking off. Would that distance be considered close?
Or another example. If a car is parked at around 3 meters away the Mavic, would that be considered close?
It's a combination of size of the steel item and distance.
A steel bolt at three inches might affect the compass or a large item like a steel roof might have have an effect 6 feet away.
Unless the cables are large high voltage cables they probably have no effect at that distance.
What's the surface you are attempting to launch from?
If you get the warning, switch off and move to a new area 10/20 metres away from any potential magnetic influence, does that cure the problem?

It's a combination of size of the steel item and distance.
A steel bolt at three inches might affect the compass or a large item like a steel roof might have have an effect 6 feet away.
Unless the cables are large high voltage cables they probably have no effect at that distance.
What's the surface you are attempting to launch from?
If you get the warning, switch off and move to a new area 10/20 metres away from any potential magnetic influence, does that cure the problem?
I'll try moving away a few meters yes and see what's happening.

I had two MP1s and they never complained for magnetic interference at the exact same locations where I use to fly.

It happened to me a couple of times for no apparent reason but just switched off and on the drone and moved it to another location nearby solved the problem for me.
Sometimes magnetic interference is not clearly Evident where it is coming from but if you look harder you will find it.. in my case probably heavy steel construction in cement

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman