DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Warning: Motor current error. Check your propellers and fly with care

bluecow

Reactions
Hey all,

I keep getting this error on my Mavic, and cannot figure out whats going on. Any advice would be welcome.
"Warning: Motor current error. Check your propellers and fly with care"

This happens as soon as I take off. I can still fly just fine, and the error does not come back as I fly around. Still hovers great, but Id much rather not see it.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.
~Regrads

I'm the some more technical replies will follow but this error means that one or more of your motors is working harder than the monitoring parameter allows for hence the error. Can you answer the following?
If you manually spin each motor housing, do they all feel the same in terms of resistance, grinding?
How old is your MP? (Flight hours, distance)
Have you had any crashes or 'incidents' involving the props?
Have you tried swapping out the props?
Are you in Sport mode when this happens? (Sport mode works the motors harder)
What rpm are the motors at in a stable hover in calm conditions? (read the controller)

Thanks for the reply Lou:
All the motors feel similar in terms of resistance by hand: no noises or grinds I can tell of.
I have about 5.5 hrs on this Mavic, ~ 181k feet distance
No crashes or incidents
Were you thinking maybe change out all the props? That's a fair easy check i can do that next, i have a fresh set at home
Normal mode, not sport when i take off
Where can I find the RPM for the motor? That's def. one thing I was looking for.

Reactions: joe_c
If I recall, it's on the right hand side of the controller display. I would compare the rpm you see with someone who isn't getting the error. I'm at work with no access to mine for another 8 hours or so. I suggest swapping out the props to eliminate sources of high current draw. It is possible that you have a defective motor OR the monitoring hardware could be faulty OR a software glitch. I'm just trying to save you the hassle of having to deal with DJI tech support which will be your next step.

Awesome, yeah, I'll check all that when I make it home also. Furthermore Ill see if I can find a drone store close by that can take a quick look and give me suggestions. Thank you for the help!

Awesome, yeah, I'll check all that when I make it home also. Furthermore Ill see if I can find a drone store close by that can take a quick look and give me suggestions. Thank you for the help!
Did you found a solution?

I have had my mavic pro for one month and have 3.5 hours of flying time. I have had no crashes and no prior alerts. I was flying this morning and a "Motor Current Error" showed up on the screen and then within seconds it fell 80 feet to the ground and crashed. Thank goodness it did not hurt anyone but this is terrifying. I just updated the firmware yesterday and am wondering if that has something to do with it. I hope Mavic will replace this as it was not due to user error and I hope other pilots are not experiencing this.

Last edited:
I have had my mavic pro for one month and have 3.5 hours of flying time. I have had no crashes and no prior alerts. I was flying this morning and a "Motor Current Error" showed up on the screen and then within seconds it fell 80 feet to the ground and crashed. Thank goodness it did not hurt anyone but this is terrifying. I just updated the firmware yesterday and am wondering if that has something to do with it. I hope Mavic will replace this as it was not due to user error and I hope other pilots are not experiencing this.
From what I have been able to find this error points to a motor malfunction either due to the motor itself or the current going to the motor. In either case it needs to be sent in for repair. I have read that some folks get this error and fly just fine and other's fly into the ground - Sorry to hear about your crash but dji should b able to analyze your flight data and sort it out. Let us know how it turns out --- always great when folks state a problem in a thread and then come back when all is said and done with the result so we all can learn.

Update: It has been a nightmare dealing with DJI. It takes days for me to get a response from their customer service team. I have had to send in an account of the accident 3 different times. They are now asking me to pay $79 to repair my Mavic Pro (which crashed due to a "Motor Current Error") Even if they repaired it and sent it back I would be too terrified to fly it given that it has motor current errors that cause a crash with a 2 second warning.

The drone was 32 days old and had 3.5 hours of flying time. I have called multiple times and sent multiple emails. They have had it for 2 weeks now and I just keep getting invoices for $79.

I am beginning to think I should have never purchased from DJI and should have gone with a different brand.

$79 to repair (Get you back in the air) a 1K toy sounds like a no brainer to me. Motor current errors from what I have seen are not that common. I'd get it repaired and get it back in the air.

Reactions: dalawre2
Hello-
$79 to repair (Get you back in the air) a 1K toy sounds like a no brainer to me. Motor current errors from what I have seen are not that common. I'd get it repaired and get it back in the air.

They are not offering to repair the motor but they are offering to repair the damage from the crash that was caused by a motor error / defect with the motor. If they were replacing all motors for that price then that would be great news but even on the phone they said a motor error could occur again. They should send a new drone given that it is new and the motor error caused the accident.

I had 3.5 hours flying time logged and never had a motor error. It was within hours after upgrading to the new software that the motor error appeared and then it immediately crashed. I have read other report of motor current errors immediately after upgrading and this is worrisome.
l

I receieved new Mavic Pro Platinum the other day. Received same error message. In going back through the set up I found this when installing the app. There’s a page which asks you which drone you have. In the bottom right corner, there’s an arrow to click which I thought was taking me to a page to choose. It didn’t. The first time I just ignored it. Downloaded updates and got the error message about props and motor. When I reinstalled the app, I realized the drone selection page had a default of the Spark. I then saw where you change it in upper left corner. Changed to Mavic and it asked for another firmware upgrade. Did that and MPP started right up. No error. Posting in case someone else made same mistake.

I receieved new Mavic Pro Platinum the other day. Received same error message. In going back through the set up I found this when installing the app. There’s a page which asks you which drone you have. In the bottom right corner, there’s an arrow to click which I thought was taking me to a page to choose. It didn’t. The first time I just ignored it. Downloaded updates and got the error message about props and motor. When I reinstalled the app, I realized the drone selection page had a default of the Spark. I then saw where you change it in upper left corner. Changed to Mavic and it asked for another firmware upgrade. Did that and MPP started right up. No error. Posting in case someone else made same mistake.

Koedean,

I'm getting those errors too. When I start the app, it shows a Spark (I also have a Spark), but when I connect to the mavic, then it shows a mavic. Is that what you mean?

Have you tried full throttle and forward in sport mode?

Eric

Update: It has been a nightmare dealing with DJI. It takes days for me to get a response from their customer service team. I have had to send in an account of the accident 3 different times. They are now asking me to pay $79 to repair my Mavic Pro (which crashed due to a "Motor Current Error") Even if they repaired it and sent it back I would be too terrified to fly it given that it has motor current errors that cause a crash with a 2 second warning.

The drone was 32 days old and had 3.5 hours of flying time. I have called multiple times and sent multiple emails. They have had it for 2 weeks now and I just keep getting invoices for $79.

I am beginning to think I should have never purchased from DJI and should have gone with a different brand.
Did they analyse the flight logs?

I read on DJI forum a few people who sent their drones in and instead of choosing "manufacturing defect" or similar, they chose "other" and left an explanation. When DJI are not explicitly told it's a defect on some return form they do not analyse flight logs and simply bill you for repair.

If you haven't already I'd post over at the DJI forums. Someone there should be able to help review your case.

Koedean,

I'm getting those errors too. When I start the app, it shows a Spark (I also have a Spark), but when I connect to the mavic, then it shows a mavic. Is that what you mean?

Have you tried full throttle and forward in sport mode?

Eric

No, I don’t have a spark, but I originally set up the app as if I did. I think that caused the error. I wonder if you delete the app and start over and just add the Mavic, then see if you get the error? If that clears it, you may need to run a different device for each drone. Have a Spark on one and Mavic on other.

I got the new PP. Made sure I updated everything before first flight. Was flying fine for a bit then when panning right I got the error. I lowered it and kept an eye out. I brought it down, turned off then back on- was fine after that. But the camera quality is such crap I sent it back.

I got the new PP. Made sure I updated everything before first flight. Was flying fine for a bit then when panning right I got the error. I lowered it and kept an eye out. I brought it down, turned off then back on- was fine after that. But the camera quality is such crap I sent it back.

Wow, I thought the camera quality is very good. Wonder if yours was damaged?

i too had same experience after firmware update. 3 minute flight an drone dropped out of sky. dji is assessing. I also posted details in another thread

Same problem here, Motor error just after firmware update. After 5 min fly. Weather was icy, about -7c, I noticed some ice is coming in the propelles and thinking what if that couse the error?
What was the weather in yours cases?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60