DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Warranty for Mini 3 Pro RC Controller

TT3023

Reactions
Hi. Am I correct in assuming that the basic warranty for the RC controller with the Mini 3 Pro is one year? That is, both the drone and the controller have a one year warranty? Care refresh documentation says that if I buy the 2 year care refresh and make no claims during the first year, the warranty is extended for a second year. In that case, does the extended warranty continue to cover both the drone and the RC controller for that second year? Thanks.

Care refresh is for the drone only. For a crash and IIRC flyaway. The RC is not part of C.R. since you can't crash It, Like the drone, the RC has a one year "manufacturers defects" warranty (crashes NOT included). The C.R. just adds crash replacement. That's how DJI explained it to me with my Mavic Air 2.

Reactions: ssvdh66
"The C.R. just adds crash replacement."

That's not how it's actually worded on their site. For the one year Mini 3 care refresh, there's a section that says:

"Rewards for safe flight" - throughout the service period, if you haven't used any replacements services, DJI will provide you with a 1-year warranty extension as reward.

For the 2 year care refresh, it says:

"Extended Warranty, more security" - by purchasing DJI Care Refresh (2 year plan), the warranty period is extended by 12 months, covering the warranty service period without interruption.

In both cases it talks only about "the warranty" and says nothing about the extended warranty applying only to the drone and not the controller.

I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree. :D Sounds like a case for a warranty attorney or Judge Judy.

It's an important question when you're dealing with expensive controllers. Notably, the warranty extension section for both the 1 year and 2 year write-ups is separate (after) the section about crash replacements.

I just read the entire contract I received. It’s an email so I can’t upload it however this is what it says is included:

00655C81-EA9B-4F6D-9C9F-2E3D1E2CBBE4.jpeg

Just to add, if you drop the controller in a lake, or step on the controller it won’t be covered under any conditions. You might have case if there is some factory defects not having do do with accidental damage. The policy is for accidental damage to the drone as stated in the what is specifically covered by serial number section. You are picking words out of the warranty that are out of context with relation to what is listed as covered.

Of course the best answer would be right from “the horses mouth” which would be support at DJI dot com. Ask them if the controller is converted for accidental damage if you drop it or it somehow gets crashed onto a wall. :)

Thanks. As I read that, it's discussing the specific coverage for the Care Refresh repairs and replacement in case of a crash, flyaway, etc. This still appears to be orthogonal to the *warranty* which would cover defects that might develop (e.g. failed component) over the warranty period. And yes, it would be dandy if DJI would address this question directly!

And to be clear, I'm not asking if the controller is covered for accidental damage. Obviously it's not. I'm trying to find out if the one year warranty covering the drone and controller covers both the drone and the controller when the warranty is extended to two years, for the same sorts of situations that are covered by the original one year warranty.

I've received a clear answer from DJI, and the answer is no, the controller is not included in the extended warranty. Here is what IS apparently included:

"For the DJI Air 2S, DJI FPV, DJI Mini series, DJI Mavic series, DJI Spark series, and DJI Phantom series:
gimbal × 1, camera × 1, main controller × 1, motors, ESC, and vision system."

In less than a month after I received my Mini 3 pro, the RC died. Turned into a brick, could not charge and could not turn it on. I sent it back per DJI instructions and it was replaced with a new RC and they also threw in a 128GB card. Although there was a fair amount of time in getting the new RC to me due to FedEx issues, that was not their fault. They were helpful and, I thought, more than fair.

Reactions: TT3023
Have just had to send my RC unit back to DJI under warranty as it is behaving oddly (and has done so on and off since I received it about a month and a half ago). It has been emitting random beeping noises when just being held in my hand and even when placed down on a surface. The zoom wheel for the camera has stopped working altogether recently. When it was working it would either work as it should or on occasions it would alter the EV level when in photo mode! The camera gimbal would also suddenly switch from landscape to portrait mode when in flight (even though no buttons were being touched) and it would also suddenly point straight down at the ground before returning to the horizontal at times. I assume these latter issues are being caused by erroneous transmissions from the RC unit.

Will have to wait and see what DJI say once they receive it but it is definitely not right as far as I'm concerned. All firmware for the drone and RC unit were all fully up to date too. I had a long online chat with DJI support and they were quite helpful - even uploaded a video of the unit emitting it's random beeps when being held.

Anyone else have any issues like these?

A controller and drone are handled differently by DJI. A controller is ONLY covered under warranty. I don't know if you can extend the warranty of the RC Pro like you can with the Care/Refresh of the drone itself.

However, in the US, State Farm Insurance will insure drones, including the whole kit for crashes, fly-aways, theft, etc as long as you schedule everything with them (with receipt showing proof of purchase). While DJI will cover fly aways and crashes, it will not cover you running over your controller with your car or if someone boosts your whole kit. If theft, I'm not sure DJI, even with C/R and fly-away coverage would cover any of it. I have three drones covered by SF and I think I pay all of $60/year inclusive of all three!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent