DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Was I jammed flying near a sporting event?

Don't know what happened of course but you did fly over a street, which is illegal!
Canada has just come out with new recreational rules which pretty much means the end of recreational flying except for extreme remote areas.
Not illegal to fly over a street. See if you can post even one accurate, and helpful piece of information.

Reactions: jerniganbrandon
Absolutely wrong information. It is legal for hobbyists to fly at night. This is a wannabe drone police troll.....do not pay attention to his posts....He always does this.

I am one who might be dubbed part of the "drone police" but most importantly I think it's important to get the correct information out there and I have to agree with those who said there is no prohibition on recreational users flying at night. I often disagree with some of the assertions regarding recreational use, but I believe that it is correct that recreational users can fly at night and can fly above 400' as long as they are abiding by a set of community standards such as AMA. The AMA standards can be read here:

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

Reactions: Strafe1
Well you are not supposed to fly 30 minutes past sunset. So technically if you got caught you would have faced fines or penalties of some sort.
If he is a part 107 licencee (commercial drone pilot) then that is true. If he is just a hobbyist (like most of us) then it is just a guideline (not a law).

I am one who might be dubbed part of the "drone police" but most importantly I think it's important to get the correct information out there and I have to agree with those who said there is no prohibition on recreational users flying at night. I often disagree with some of the assertions regarding recreational use, but I believe that it is correct that recreational users can fly at night and can fly above 400' as long as they are abiding by a set of community standards such as AMA. The AMA standards can be read here:

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf
AMA is a national organization, not local, and those standards (like their insurance) only apply at sanctioned sites and events. Check your local ordinances, only those apply.

Okay, about flying at night; this is gonna start off weird-
My next door neighbor left us on a Sunday morning about a week after I got my first quad. He had erected a trellis above the fence, but had agreed to take it down at my request. Unfortunately, his suicidal tendencies overcame his word of honor, or should I say, outpaced it. I took the opportunity to take a crowbar to the ******* thing, and that was the luckiest thing I did that week, for upon deciding to try my first night flight, I was so jumpy, that as I lifted off, my right hand jerked the stick and the quad flew off toward that missing trellis, passing EXACTLY where it had been. I have never wanted to chance night flying again. WTF, it isn't Paris, so what am I missing?

Absolutely wrong information. It is legal for hobbyists to fly at night. This is a wannabe drone police troll.....do not pay attention to his posts....He always does this.
Grey Wolf might be Canuck, sounds like he is. Maybe things are different (no kidding) NOB.

Okay, about flying at night; this is gonna start off weird-
My next door neighbor left us on a Sunday morning about a week after I got my first quad. He had erected a trellis above the fence, but had agreed to take it down at my request. Unfortunately, his suicidal tendencies overcame his word of honor, or should I say, outpaced it. I took the opportunity to take a crowbar to the ******* thing, and that was the luckiest thing I did that week, for upon deciding to try my first night flight, I was so jumpy, that as I lifted off, my right hand jerked the stick and the quad flew off toward that missing trellis, passing EXACTLY where it had been. I have never wanted to chance night flying again. WTF, it isn't Paris, so what am I missing?

Now if only you had knocked down one of the spires of the Kölner Dom prior to March 16th... :)

I love flying at night and taking shots , here is a pic of just a few minutes ago. I just got my mavic today and love it
4e589b3699c2728e64cb912a2aba040b.jpg

Reactions: TimeIsMine
Back to the original post,
I'm not sure about jamming, but the airwaves around sporting events can be very congested with some powerful transmissions. T.V. Coverage, cameras all linking to a central point, media radio etc etc.
could have just been some interference

Reactions: mannyelite
AMA is a national organization, not local, and those standards (like their insurance) only apply at sanctioned sites and events. Check your local ordinances, only those apply.

I try hard to get these things right. Can you post a reference that says the AMA safety guidelines only apply to AMA sanctioned events?

As I read the law it says that you have to fly according to a community based set of standards. It does not say that you have to belong to that organization or be at one of their sanctioned events. It only says you have to essentially pick their guideline and follow it. Furthermore, I haven't seen anything on the AMA site that says their guidelines are only for sanctioned events.

I would appreciate any reference that shows a different interpretation.

Reactions: _milo_
Yes, the FAA recognizes the AMA as a Community Based Organization. My understanding is your covered by the AMA if your flying safely within the rules, even off of official AMA fields. Their insurance is secondary to other insurance like homeowners, and only covers recreational flying, no commercial work.

No local or state prohibitions against park flying by me, so I would be covered by AMA, flying in a park. They even have a park flyer program for those that only fly at parks.

Not illegal to fly over a street. See if you can post even one accurate, and helpful piece of information.
Here we go again!
In Canada, it is ilegal. In your country, might be a grey area,
However, has it even occurred to you that flying over a street might have implications?

Here we go again!
In Canada, it is ilegal. In your country, might be a grey area,
However, has it even occurred to you that flying over a street might have implications?
Sure it has. Just as there are implication when following AMA guidelines staying clear of people by 25 feet. If I'm at 100 feet altitude and staying 25 feet away as suggested, I feel that is more dangerous than flying over a non busy street. If the Mav goes into a TBE or something, 25 feet may not be enough. It's all about situational awareness. Flying over a desert outside of LOS is not dangerous IMO. Situational awareness.

Sure it has. Just as there are implication when following AMA guidelines staying clear of people by 25 feet. If I'm at 100 feet altitude and staying 25 feet away as suggested, I feel that is more dangerous than flying over a non busy street. If the Mav goes into a TBE or something, 25 feet may not be enough. It's all about situational awareness. Flying over a desert outside of LOS is not dangerous IMO. Situational awareness.
This is the reason National Parks have banned drones. Just because you are out in the middle of nowhere doesn't give you carte blanche authority to fly, according to them. They don't want drones flying off and frightening wildlife, according to their statements.
We are all caught up in this lunacy, however, rules are rules.

This is the reason National Parks have banned drones. Just because you are out in the middle of nowhere doesn't give you carte blanche authority to fly, according to them. They don't want drones flying off and frightening wildlife, according to their statements.
We are all caught up in this lunacy, however, rules are rules.
I agree with the reasoning to not fly in National Parks. But open water, desert, forest, farmland, etc. that is not in a NFZ seems safe enough to me.

This is the reason National Parks have banned drones. They don't want drones flying off and frightening wildlife, according to their statements.

They don't want drones to fly and take beautiful videos and pictures which they would not be able to sell in their kiosks.
So when they announced their decision I made a decision on my own to not renew my Nature Conservancy monthly donation. It was a good thing to do for years, but they decided that they are better off with their lousy postcards, which I never buy anyway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman