DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Water Landing a Disaster

Would you like pictures of corrosion damage to the motherboard? A new camera gimble assembly costs $200 I have a Mavic Pro Platinum that still has all the new labels and stickers on it but the board looks like it's 20 years old.
If the Mavic had only a passive cooling system it might be okay for water landing, but it doesn't it uses a fan to pull air through and over the boards, and those props throw a lot of spray..... The Mavic platform is a really bad choice for setting up a water landing platform. That being said using pontoons as a emergency failsafe might be a good idea if you do a lot of over water flights
Keep @Thunderdrones number available you'll need it

Reactions: Former Member
I use my Mavic 2 zoom for water rescue searching and have it insured for repairs even if it goes into water, but I do have to have a drone to give them for repair. So I bought one of these but only as a life jacket, not to land it on water.

Reactions: Willie14228
If you sent it to DJI themselves for repair then they will not repair it, they don't repair water damage. Only quote for a brand new Mavic.

Likely the barometer on the flight controller is dead, based on your error messages. A new baro chip or flight controller would be a good place to start.

To state the obvious, I would advise keeping Mavics away from water, sand, anything like that. There are products that supposedly make DJI products waterproof, but they won't work.

Reactions: NAVMAV
My wife...did you try cpr? she said that you need to do it within the first 3 minutes.

I noticed that your design uses 4 clips to stabilize the pontoons. The one I used only had attachment at 2 clips which let the pontoons to move and the weight of the front of the Mavic took it head first into the water up side down. I've advised the seller about the 2 clips vs 4 clips, but it's made in China and no recourse. My drone is back at DJI for repair and I haven't seen the bill yet. FYI, there are also Pontoon kits available on eBay with 4 clips...my bad.

Beware which type of kitty litter you use. There is no way I would use a clay based litter as it would most likely cake onto the components you are trying to dry and would be next to impossible to remove. I don't use litter based on other materials but would be very hesitant to use any of them to dry my mavic.
IMHO silica is the best and can be bought at florists and hobby/craft supply stores that sell it for drying flowers.
Why would you need to deliberately land on water? I am genuinely interested. Preventing the sUAS sinking to allow for recovery makes sense but not needing to land.
If you sent it to DJI themselves for repair then they will not repair it, they don't repair water damage. Only quote for a brand new Mavic.

Likely the barometer on the flight controller is dead, based on your error messages. A new baro chip or flight controller would be a good place to start.

To state the obvious, I would advise keeping Mavics away from water, sand, anything like that. There are products that supposedly make DJI products waterproof, but they won't work.

I live on the East Coast of the US and there are many terrific chances to get good videos around the beach, harbor and lakes. I put the pontoons on in case I came down in the water and I could save it....not to routinely land in water. This was my first time checking it out in a small pond behind my house. I was able to start it up with all lights and audio working. I actually got the motors working once, but could not repeat it. That's when I sent it back to DJI for repair. Have not got the estimate yet, but if it's a bunch, I'll trash it and find another hobby.

...BTW I researched drying agents one and kitty litter is far, far better than rice for drying something
Whatever you use, wrap your Mavic in cheesecloth to avoid direct contact and keep the finer particles out.

I was able to start it up with all lights and audio working. I actually got the motors working once, but could not repeat it. That's when I sent it back to DJI for repair. Have not got the estimate yet, but if it's a bunch, I'll trash it and find another hobby.

Easy to feel that way but you have already put money into the system other than the quad itself. I'd just go purchase a refurbished model if it's cheaper than the repair and get back into it. These things pretty much fly safely and easy enough that once you understand how they work, chances are you'll have better luck.

Drones and water don't mix. It's insane to tempt fate thinking we can make these things amphibious. I am not the least bit interested in putting my drone on the surface of the water. I mean why are you wanting to land and take of of water in the first place? I don't get it.

Drones and water don't mix. It's insane to tempt fate thinking we can make these things amphibious. I am not the least bit interested in putting my drone on the surface of the water. I mean why are you wanting to land and take of of water in the first place? I don't get it.
As OP said it wasn't a goal to have a system to land on water on a regular basis but as a fail safe during over water missions. That I can see,

Just out of curiosity does the downwash cause any problems during landing or takeoff?

Just out of curiosity does the downwash cause any problems during landing or takeoff?
Sure; from the ground it can kick up dust unless you use a clean pad. To be honest, I have never launched or landed on water so cannot say if spray would be a problem for the electronics. I would think that at least there is the potential to get drops on your camera lens.

OK, all of you have given me good feedback and here's my response.
The purpose of putting on the water landing gear was not to land on the water, it was to save the drone if I had a malfunction and it landed in the water scenery I was shooting by fault. As a follow up, someone was right about DJI not working on water intrusion issues and trying to sell me another drone for $676.00. I had them ship my drone back.
When I received it I tried to turn it on and to my surprise it did. I think the extra time it took to send to DJI let it dry out more, but everything seems to work now, unbelieveable. I have flown it 3 times and it comes back home perfectly. If you have a water problem, there is a couple of YouTube videos that may help.

After reading this thread it made me realize that there is a broader lesson to be learned. Any after market modifications you make carry risk. One way to minimize the risk is to benefit from others pioneering efforts and subsequent mistakes or successes. If many people have tried it and had problems, don’t buy it; if many have tried it without problems, buy it. If you are a pioneer and try it without understanding other folks experience, or before anyone has experience, then thank you for becoming one more data point for the rest of us.

Hi all. @pwmullins certainly had a bad experience due to missing clips. I'm thinking about floats for purpose as @Willie14228 confirms - I plan to be flying over (deep) water and am considering floats to help for recovery if aircraft decides to descend and land against my wishes. I have no plans to land or launch from water. I see very few commercial options out there. @Jackcutrone references in post 5 the 4 balls version, the red "Extended Landing Gear Skid Training w/ Floating Bobber" with multiple postings in eBay (in a couple of different configurations apparently if you study the pictures - I've included one below), and I haven't found threads about the Arris Raptor 2 (but seems incredibly expensive). Anybody using anything they are happy with?
1554494613451.png

Quote: Anybody using anything they are happy with?

Yeah, we bought the 'Ball Floats'. Just as a Potential Protection Thing' @ less than $10...

...BUT they came with 'Leg Extenders'!! THOSE are solid GOLD!! We fly 'em full time.

AWESOME, Particularly in wet grass.

Rgds, NAVMAV

Reactions: CNYdronepilot
I would never use kitty litter as a drying agent for my drone. All that fine dusty powder will get into the motors and the gimbal and you'll have a he'll of a time trying to get it all cleaned out.
And no alternative suggestions? Big help thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead