DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Water Landing Survival

If I fly over water I use the floatation balls installed on the legs. Mine are colored pink (red) and green so in accordance with standard aviation and nautical practice, the green are place on the right side and red on the left. The strut LEDs illuminate the floats too so it is easy to find the drone when the lighting is low. You might want to invest in a set before flying near water.
A drone shooting the rapids, hope you're rolling video on that.

Last edited:
Right. BTW, Damprid is nothing more than calcium chloride, which is commonly sold for salting sidewalks and driveways for people who live in the cold areas. For us southerners, pool stores sell it also. I guess most people don't need that much, so perhaps useless trivia.

While damprid does work, an electric humidifier works faster, and they aren't much more $ than damprid. They use a thermo-electric cooling plate (peltier) to condense water vapor, which then goes into a little reservoir. I use one of these inside a compartment I use for cheese and salami making - works great. Many uses for such a thing.

View attachment 80019
I think you meant a DEhumidifier. A humidifier has the opposite of the intended effect.

If I fly over water I use the floatation balls installed on the legs. Mine are colored pink (red) and green so in accordance with standard aviation and nautical practice, the green are place on the right side and red on the left. The strut LEDs illuminate the floats too so it is easy to find the drone when the lighting is low. You might want to invest in a set before flying near water.
Link to balls please

starboard and port are more nautical terms since boats existed before airplanes did. But the terms can be and are applied to aircraft as well.
Cars are referred to as passenger and drivers side.
green is right and red is left
but hey whatever floats your boat. I take Prozac instead of zanex….. dealers choice...

why didn't DJI comply, my leds on the M2Z are not color coordinated to port and starboard.

Cymruflyer,
Regarding your post, my experience with over 50 years in Aviation since the 1950s, everyone in Aviation understands that right or left is from the pilot's view looking forward. I was taught back in the 50s that two "Rs" don't go together. For example "Right" Wing and "Right" Nav Light do not belong together! I have absolutely no idea of Port and Starboard directions. I was Air Force, not Navy, I'm not into boating, and I don't drink wine! The two "Rs" are also used in Aviation Maintenance.
You have no problem with right and left when you are in a structured organization like the air force or navy if you are all taught that when speaking of left or right, you must always means when sitting in the craft in question. In the real world, there is no structure or standard understanding as to what is meant by left or right side. Some people may be taking about their car or drone as it sits still in front of them. What you and I and everyone else don't know, is whether the person telling us left or right side, has their drone or vehicle facing them or are they looking at the rear end of it.

I may have it on my table in front of me, looking at the nose or camera end of the drone. Another person may have the drone on the table with the camera end facing away from them. We would both be talking about the right or left side, however, no one would know which way the drone was pointing, so could mistake the opposite side for what we were being told was the right side.

If the terms port and starboard were used, everyone concerned would know what side they were talking about and it would make no difference if that drone was facing them, camera side closest to them or camera side facing away from them, or even if the drone was sideways on. And that is the reason it would make most sense to use a term that can not be confused, in the same way that stating left or right could be confused. Not everyone is in the air force or had air force training.

Reactions: old man mavic

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard