DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

water recovery device

mikemoose55

Reactions
A little advance marketing here relative to flying over water.

NOTE TO FORUM OWNERS Please eliminate this post without hesitation if I am in violation of any posting requirements

here goes
Would anyone be interested in a water retrieval that worked something like detailed below.

This item is not offered for sale here or anywhere at this time I am simply "testing the water" to see your general interest.
I will not discuss any pricing or availability at this time and or without approval / authorization from this forms owners.
Please do not ask $$$$$ I will not and can not offer that here or anywhere at this time.

===========How it works=========
Attach the device to your large or small drone example on the top of a Mavic or Spark or to the landing legs of a Phantom. Attachment via hook & loop or releasable cable ties.
Go fly
Device attachment & recovery capsule is secure against wind and vibration.
Capsule release is water activated, not suitable for flying in the rain
30 second recovery capsule release after water contact
100 feet of recovery line unloads from the recovery capsule as it floats to the water surface
Locate the recovery capsule and lift your drone with the 100 foot tethered recovery line.

======PROJECTED PRODUCT FEATURES=======
Small compact
Light weight , approx 100 grams (4 ounces)
30 second recovery capsule release time after full water contact, (it has to get wet)
Water activated, no chemicals or batteries needed.
Reusable over and over again, simply replace a simple trigger mechanism
Waterproof and crush proof recovery capsule good to 300 feet
Clear float capsule can be painted with hi vis color or simply install a high vis color insert
Clear Float capsule will hold and keep dry printed media (paper) with your message / contact info etc
Clear Float capsule will hold and keep dry the typical Strobon Cree strobe or similar device for under water and superior surface visibility
100 feet high strength recovery tether line to raise your drone. You can easily add a longer tether line
Hook & Loop or releasable cable ties attachment to any drone

mikemoose55

Not reusable and missing some of your listed items, but it sounds like GetterBack.
Not reusable and missing some of your listed items, but it sounds like GetterBack.

Not even close completely different method and design super simple. it works within 30 seconds or less upon water entry at any depth no Co2 or pressure sensing device like Getterback which is a fine product but can't be reused once activated.
mikemoose55

NOTE TO FORUM OWNERS Please eliminate this post without hesitation if I am in violation of any posting requirements

here goes
Would anyone be interested in a water retrieval that worked something like detailed below.

This item is not offered for sale here or anywhere at this time I am simply "testing the water" to see your general interest.
I will not discuss any pricing or availability at this time and or without approval / authorization from this forms owners.
Please do not ask $$$$$ I will not and can not offer that here or anywhere at this time.

Attach the device to your large or small drone example on the top of a Mavic or Spark or to the landing legs of a Phantom. Attachment via hook & loop or releasable cable ties.
Go fly
100 feet of recovery line unloads from the recovery capsule as it floats to the water surface
Locate the recovery capsule and lift your drone with the 100 foot tethered recovery line.

Small compact
30 second recovery capsule release time after full water contact, (it has to get wet)
Clear float capsule can be painted with hi vis color or simply install a high vis color insert
Clear Float capsule will hold and keep dry printed media (paper) with your message / contact info etc
Clear Float capsule will hold and keep dry the typical Strobon Cree strobe or similar device for under water and superior surface visibility
100 feet high strength recovery tether line to raise your drone. You can easily add a longer tether line

mikemoose55

The hangup I have with this and other water recovery devices is the 100 ft depth limit. I live in montana and if it dumps in any of the lakes here 100ft doesnt cut it, would love to see it at 300ft and with an LED or Radio beacon.

Reactions: BC Pete
The hangup I have with this and other water recovery devices is the 100 ft depth limit. I live in montana and if it dumps in any of the lakes here 100ft doesnt cut it, would love to see it at 300ft and with an LED or Radio beacon.
The depth is only a number asso ciated with the length of the teather line. The actual capsule via calculation should be crush proof to well over 300 feet so just a matter of a longer line. Additionally I believe the actual release of the retrieval capsule would happen before a down drone would reach 300 feet.
All release tests have been done in cold static water and have consistently released the retrieval capsule in less than 15 seconds.
In my area I have glacier lakes well over 600 feet but need to get out of winter conditions before I can boat to those areas and test crush depth or integrity if the closure to the capsule.
Lastly the strobe is not part of the device it so designed to I easily accept a Strobeon Cree strobe that a purchaser would simply add to the clear recovery capsule. No mention was made of a radio beacon but one small enough transmitter could be added I suppose.
Again the depth limit is only defined by the crush depth of the capsule or the failure of the closure to resist leakage at depth.
600 feet of line would be a little bulky but doable.
mikemoise55

See that’s more like what I was thinking. Have the thing bring the whole drone up. Makes the depth irrelevant. It shouldn’t take that much air to lift a 3 pound drone in the water right?
My mockup didn't sink as planned, but you can see the size of brick that we attached to it that it almost floated. well over 3 lbs.

Not even close completely different method and design super simple. it works within 30 seconds or less upon water entry at any depth no Co2 or pressure sensing device like Getterback which is a fine product but can't be reused once activated.
mikemoose55

Hello. Heading to MT next week(big sky area). Can I fly my drone? Can you direct me to a comprehensive site showing the rules and restrictions of the area? Thank you

here goes

Go fly

Small compact

mikemoose55
Im also interested please. thank you

The WaterBuoy is an excellent device but it is basically intended to recover light weight objects like your boat or car keys that can generally be floated by the buoyancy of the capsule alone "before there balloon inflates. The added buoyancy of the balloon inflated brings your keys to the surface and creates the visibility need to find the device.

Please understand I am not knocking the product it works excellently for what it is intended saving light weight objects from water loss.

There are several drawbacks when this product would be applied to a drone.
I looked into similar inflatable approaches to recovery and there are major drawbacks.
Don't take it from me but here is a very detailed explanation by Tom's Tech Time https://www.tomstechtime.com/ showing why the Waterbuoy
will not recover a drone that has sunk just a few feet below the surface.

If the Waterbuoy could release from the drone shortly after water entry and could maintain connection with the drone via a recovery line then the device will allow you to recover your drone.
This is what we have developed , water activated, quick release and a positive connection back to the drone.
mikemoose55

Yes. I am interested in any water retrieval system but it must be compact, light weight, and consistent in performance.

I use floats when I have to, but I don't like flying with them unless I will be over water consistently, or operating from my kayak. Floats are cumbersome and reduce battery time.

It would be nice to have an alternative way to retrieve the drone without having to resort to using floats when operating over water.

I don't have confidence in the GetterBack, or the balloon method (Water Buoy). I have seen enough online to indicate both are inconsistently effective. I don't want something that only works half the time!

Yes. I am interested in any water retrieval system but it must be compact, light weight, and consistent in performance.

I use floats when I have to, but I don't like flying with them unless I will be over water consistently, or operating from my kayak. Floats are cumbersome and reduce battery time.

It would be nice to have an alternative way to retrieve the drone without having to resort to using floats when operating over water.

I don't have confidence in the GetterBack, or the balloon method (Water Buoy). I have seen enough online to indicate both are inconsistently effective. I don't want something that only works half the time!
Agree, but until it’s developed any % chance is better than 0%.

@mikemoose55 could you maybe explain the differences between your product and the Getterback please? I don’t mean to promote a competitor or anything but I know one person has already brought this up.

My original post has some of the detail you ask about but in short here are some differences relative to the Getterback product you mention.
Relative to our device....
We have a 30 second or less release time in frigid static water. Expect quicker release in warmer moving water.

A strobe light or lights can easily be added to the clear recovery capsule.

The capsule can be painted with any bright visible color or you can simply install a colored element into the capsule such as a piece of safety yellow tee shirt material for added visibility.

A paper document can also be added to the capsule sporting any information you wish it install.
Our device is reusable with the simple replacement of the triggering element the releases the capsule when wet.

Our device is not suitable for use when flying in the rain as the capsule would most likely release if it became wet enough from the rain causing a release in flight.

We expect to include a 100 foot tether line however it will be very simple to add any length line you wish for deeper water .

We have not tested the capsule yet to its crush depth, the depth that would cause failure of the capsule due to water pressure.
By calculation we estimate 300 feet of water or approx 130 psi external pressure. This is an estimate at this time however.
In short we require no water pressure measurement to trip the device it simply has to be wet for a few seconds.
We do not rely on discharged gas to create buoyancy therefore bouyancy will not be affected by water pressure at release point.
Bottom line this device is built on the KISS principle....Keep It Simple Stupid.
mikemoose55

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes