DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

water recovery device

I also would be very interested in a reliable, simple recovery device. I'm glad you're thinking about better ways to accomplish this. One concern I would have with your proposed solution would be accidental deployment from fog, mist, unexpected rain, etc.. How difficult is it to trigger the deployment? Would accidental deployment mean certain loss of the drone?

...Our device is not suitable for use when flying in the rain as the capsule would most likely release if it became wet enough from the rain causing a release in flight...
...In short we require no water pressure measurement to trip the device it simply has to be wet for a few seconds.
If I may offer a suggestion, it should take more than a few seconds of wetness to deploy. While most of us are smart enough not to fly in the rain, rain happens. More than a few times, the sky above me is clear but rain gets blown into my flying space from a nearby shower. There have also been times where it was dry when I took off but damp when I landed. This time of year in Seattle, you have to fly in marginal conditions or not fly very often. Once again, I do not fly in the rain but conditions have deteriorated while in flight.

Keep up the effort. I am very interested to see what you come up with.

I also would be very interested in a reliable, simple recovery device. I'm glad you're thinking about better ways to accomplish this. One concern I would have with your proposed solution would be accidental deployment from fog, mist, unexpected rain, etc.. How difficult is it to trigger the deployment? Would accidental deployment mean certain loss of the drone?

The trigger element requires full water saturation to release.
One of the advantages of this element and method is the trigger device is replaceable / renewable.
In that you can increase the quantity of trigger element used to retard the release time. More element equals longer release time.
While the release trigger element is propritary it is not going to set anyone back to obtain more initially or at some point in the future .
Having said that yes if water saturated in flight the release element will become weak and most likely lose attachment strength / security available from a normal dry attachment.

If it gets wet enough it will release the capsule that has a tether line attached to the drone. Picture your drone trailing a non-metallic capsule on a 100 foot tether in flight. We would not recommend flying in such a wet environment moisture make s the magic happen. Dry you fly ...wet .....release is a sure bet

mikemoose55

Nope. I’ll just continue to avoid water flights when it’s not necessary and pay State Farm 17 pennies per day for when it is necessary.

The trigger element requires full water saturation to release.
One of the advantages of this element and method is the trigger device is replaceable / renewable.
In that you can increase the quantity of trigger element used to retard the release time. More element equals longer release time.
While the release trigger element is propritary it is not going to set anyone back to obtain more initially or at some point in the future .
Having said that yes if water saturated in flight the release element will become weak and most likely lose attachment strength / security available from a normal dry attachment.

If it gets wet enough it will release the capsule that has a tether line attached to the drone. Picture your drone trailing a non-metallic capsule on a 100 foot tether in flight. We would not recommend flying in such a wet environment moisture make s the magic happen. Dry you fly ...wet .....release is a sure bet

mikemoose55

I might have an idea to solve your flying in the rain limitation. If you put the water sensing device in a bullet shaped piece of plastic with an open back (or holes in it) and the “bullet” oriented in the direction of flight (and slightly up) it wouldn’t get wet until submerged.

My original post has some of the detail you ask about but in short here are some differences relative to the Getterback product you mention.
Relative to our device....
We have a 30 second or less release time in frigid static water. Expect quicker release in warmer moving water.

A strobe light or lights can easily be added to the clear recovery capsule.

The capsule can be painted with any bright visible color or you can simply install a colored element into the capsule such as a piece of safety yellow tee shirt material for added visibility.

A paper document can also be added to the capsule sporting any information you wish it install.
Our device is reusable with the simple replacement of the triggering element the releases the capsule when wet.

Our device is not suitable for use when flying in the rain as the capsule would most likely release if it became wet enough from the rain causing a release in flight.

We expect to include a 100 foot tether line however it will be very simple to add any length line you wish for deeper water .

We have not tested the capsule yet to its crush depth, the depth that would cause failure of the capsule due to water pressure.
By calculation we estimate 300 feet of water or approx 130 psi external pressure. This is an estimate at this time however.
In short we require no water pressure measurement to trip the device it simply has to be wet for a few seconds.
We do not rely on discharged gas to create buoyancy therefore bouyancy will not be affected by water pressure at release point.
Bottom line this device is built on the KISS principle....Keep It Simple Stupid.
mikemoose55

I am anxious to see what you have. Glad you are working on it. Let us know when it is available.

Is that 100% effective at reducing flight times and air speed?

What's your point?

If you have something of value to add to the conversation from your personal experience, let us know.

I speak from my own experience about what works for me flying over water, particularly from a kayak, take it or leave it!

Hello. Heading to MT next week(big sky area). Can I fly my drone? Can you direct me to a comprehensive site showing the rules and restrictions of the area? Thank you
Big Sky area is pretty vague, shoot me a private message and we can talk.

I might have an idea to solve your flying in the rain limitation. If you put the water sensing device in a bullet shaped piece of plastic with an open back (or holes in it) and the “bullet” oriented in the direction of flight (and slightly up) it wouldn’t get wet until submerged.

Thanks for your suggestion but from a practical standpoint I am trying to keep this focused on the one important function that of recovering a downed drone in water. Flying in the rain is another issue for another day. Additionally such an open ended tube would absolutely not work simply for the same reason NASCAR stock car drivers take advantage of drafting the car in front that creates a negative pressure zone behind the car.
the negative pressure behind the tube would simply pull water into the tube
We have been working on this for many months and trying in every instant to reduce , simplify and focus the form fit and function. Flying in rain is a completely different mission to tackle so from a marketing function with a little engineering thrown in trying to be all things to all people is a search for the holy grail and not our mission.
Our mission is simple.....functional...reliable.....and a value benefit to anyone who might want one.
We are pleased to have your comments keep them coming every bit helps give us perspective as we realize sometimes you can get too close to a product or idea that reality begins to become anything you want to make it...........
mikemoose55

What's your point?
If you have something of value to add to the conversation from your personal experience, let us know.
I speak from my own experience about what works for me flying over water, particularly from a kayak, take it or leave it!
My point is that you acknowledged that your floats are cumbersome.
I'd be curious as to what effect they have on the flying abilities of your drone.
I see lots of floatie contraptions but no-one doing tests to see how they affect performance.

Not even close completely different method and design super simple. it works within 30 seconds or less upon water entry at any depth no Co2 or pressure sensing device like Getterback which is a fine product but can't be reused once activated.
mikemoose55

Whatever happened with the this device? It's been several months since this was posted on the forum.

The concept and functionality are complete and we have started work on the prototype.
Unfortunately I have had to delay my work (2 elderly parents) for longer than I wish.
I hope soon to post a short video showing the functionality of the design but at this point not the design itself.
What I hope to demonstrate soon in a short video is the way the recovery capsule is released in less that 30 seconds when submerged in any depth of water.
Ultimately I will send a hand full of prototypes out to some folks active here and ask only in return a review and comments pro and con.
please ask me any questions the project still lives it just is moving slow at the current time .
Respectfully
mooseman55

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk