DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Water recovery

I still say some floats like in this thread
Mavic water recovery system
are probley the best way for a few reasons:

The drone doesn't have to sink for it to work.
The Drone will be more visible fully above water or even if upside down to see the noodles then just a tiny cap.
There is no delay for it to come up.
No other requirements needed for deployment that may fail.
Cheaper
Still easy to remove or strap on if your going over water.

The problem with that system is that it is bulky and adds too much aerodynamic drag and weight to the Mavic. Also it's looks like a pain to install it and take it off. A much simpler solution along the same line of thought would be to take a block of black foam that is 2 inches thick and cut it with a hot blade to the shape of the top of the Mavic and then give it a bit of and aerodynamic trim and clip it onto the top of the Mavic with 3 elastic bands. It would work just as well as those big Buoys in the video clip and would impact the flight characteristics a lot less.

What I am looking for is a more elegant solution. It can be done, it will just take time for some company to design it. The Mavic is really popular so I have no doubts someone will come out with a unit.

The motors are waterproof anyways....as they are brushless motors

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The motors are not waterproof. They have bearing or sleeves that will rust if water gets to them.
A water resistant motor is sealed at all points. The Mavic motors are wide open to water. If mine got wet in it form the ocean I would replace them ASAP as it is only a matter of time before rust causes and issue.

The problem with that system is that it is bulky and adds too much aerodynamic drag and weight to the Mavic. Also it's looks like a pain to install it and take it off. A much simpler solution along the same line of thought would be to take a block of black foam that is 2 inches thick and cut it with a hot blade to the shape of the top of the Mavic and then give it a bit of and aerodynamic trim and clip it onto the top of the Mavic with 3 elastic bands. It would work just as well as those big Buoys in the video clip and would impact the flight characteristics a lot less.

What I am looking for is a more elegant solution. It can be done, it will just take time for some company to design it. The Mavic is really popular so I have no doubts someone will come out with a unit.

Aerodynamics maybe and that depends on the way you make it. But also aerodynamics have already been talked about on here and the results were this is more of a helicopter then a airplane. It didn't impact it.

Weight, well this weights less then the other two options mentioned along with some GPS trackers. So I don't think that is a problem either.

3 elastic band or a zip tie (like the other solutions you were already looking at) would work.

Elegant I can understand.

This is not the first drone out ,or the first DJI, or the First drone to fly over water. I would say look back at the rest of DJI line has to offer in the aftermarket world and you should see what your options are going to be shortly. You'll probley also see what the best option is/ has been.

It is the same design of a motor as the mariner drone... you can use any brushless motor in water. Obviously oil afterwords. And as far as salt water. Rinse with fresh and oil bearings.. I have many waterproof drones with over 100 flights landing in water. No issues yet. But I take care and maintain my stuff.

It is the same design of a motor as the mariner drone... you can use any brushless motor in water. Obviously oil afterwords. And as far as salt water. Rinse with fresh and oil bearings.. I have many waterproof drones with over 100 flights landing in water. No issues yet. But I take care and maintain my stuff.

I built an underwater rov. Using multirotor brushless motors. No issues yet either.....

This is an example of the kind of Brush less motors I have seen on hand held diving rigs.
MODEL 1002 SERIES ELECTRIC THRUSTERS - Innerspace Corporation
I am not saying an exposed brush less motor wont work, I just know that it will fail sooner or later because one crystal of salt can start a rust issue deep in the motor.

Yes this is true one crystal of salt will ruin... i work on yachts down here installing marine electronics and mechanical. Salt is any metals worst enemy.
30f893cb9f5357b8913cde28e40444cc.jpg
I use a product called salt away. It is a rinse to remove all salt an fresh water and oil. But. This doesn't really matter. Cause if your mavic hits the water it's done lol. But dang those are prob exspensive a$$ motors... this is one of my waterproof drones I built from scratch

I love the idea and size of the Waterbuoy, but until it can lift from depth it seems a bit pointless, I'm sure they could make it inflate better at depth.

IMHO what we need is a Hybrid of the Water Buoy and the GetterBack. A Cartridge that shots out from the holder on a tethered line and as it spools out and rises a balloon inflates. The device needs to be made properly so that the Cartridge and balloon deploy and make it to the surface before a 1.5Kg Drone can sink to more than 80ft. If that is done then the drone is safe even it if crashes in 6000ft of water.

and adding also a sort of ink/colorant that would disperse in water to find the spod where it sunk..

Reactions: vdubbin1967
The motors are not waterproof. They have bearing or sleeves that will rust if water gets to them.
A water resistant motor is sealed at all points. The Mavic motors are wide open to water. If mine got wet in it form the ocean I would replace them ASAP as it is only a matter of time before rust causes and issue.

I race RC boats, we use water cooled brushless motors that are not sealed on the outboards, I give them a spray of Corrosion-X the stuff works wonders. I put that s**t on everything. :) It's great for waterproofing receivers and electronics as well.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

The Mavic will never compete with real amphibic copters such as the Mariner/SplashDrone. All there is sealed, including the 2-axis gimbal and bearings of the motors, while the motors themselfs are widely open. And this bird has also proofed to be salt-water resistant.
Here is a video with takeoff and landing at the lake of Constance at Germany:

Reactions: vdubbin1967

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S