DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Water

I just skimmed this thread, so if this has been
discussed before here, throw a tomato(e) at me.

I was near a guy who flew his Mavic Air out over a
calm lake, near dark. Supposedly the bottom optical
sensors were confused by the glassy surface & it went
down in the water despite him trying to climb out.

Be careful!

John

Reactions: Dronage
Thanks john...i wonder why the craft wouldn't accelerate upwards if given the appropriate joystick command..? Is upward movement dependent on both power applied and relation to the 'ground'.?

It might be that the concrete path will cause you more problems than the sea! We have seen several mishaps on this forum caused by magnetic 'drag' due to steel reinforcing in concrete. The effect is that when the Mavic sets itself up before takeoff, it does so in a magnetic environment not aligned with the Earth's natural mag' field. When it ascends, it suddenly discovers the misalignment and see's it as a control error, which can then have pretty bad consequences! If you use the concrete path as a landing strip, look at your compass [before take-off] down at the bottom left of Go4, and make sure that the arrow point is actually pointing the same way that the nose of the Mavic is ... If the alignment's not the same, that's an indication of magnetic drag, and you'd be best taking off somewhere else ...
My over-water experience is with rivers - and all I can add is that my Mavic Pro Platinum, has some issues maintaining height above the water when it's down below about 3 metres. I believe that the down-facing cameras find it difficult to tell what and where the surface is ...
Funnily enough, I used to take off and land on iron manhole covers with P1, P2, P3, and Mavic Pro, before I learned better, and 90% of my flying is over the sea. I live on a very dusty island (Tenerife) so the sea is much cleaner! I shudder when I think of the possible consequences of compass errors! I never fly lower than 5 metres, though.

It might be that the concrete path will cause you more problems than the sea! We have seen several mishaps on this forum caused by magnetic 'drag' due to steel reinforcing in concrete. The effect is that when the Mavic sets itself up before takeoff, it does so in a magnetic environment not aligned with the Earth's natural mag' field. When it ascends, it suddenly discovers the misalignment and see's it as a control error, which can then have pretty bad consequences! If you use the concrete path as a landing strip, look at your compass [before take-off] down at the bottom left of Go4, and make sure that the arrow point is actually pointing the same way that the nose of the Mavic is ... If the alignment's not the same, that's an indication of magnetic drag, and you'd be best taking off somewhere else ...
My over-water experience is with rivers - and all I can add is that my Mavic Pro Platinum, has some issues maintaining height above the water when it's down below about 3 metres. I believe that the down-facing cameras find it difficult to tell what and where the surface is ...

Funnily enough, I used to take off and land on iron manhole covers with P1, P2, P3, and Mavic Pro, before I learned better, and 90% of my flying is over the sea. I live on a very dusty island (Tenerife) so the sea is much cleaner! I shudder when I think of the possible consequences of compass errors! I never fly lower than 5 metres, though.
I've not tried it Steve, but I'd think that an iron manhole cover wouldn't be as bad as steel reinforcing strips or mesh. The cover would tend to concentrate magnetic lines of force, but probably not change their direction ... Where as the reinforcing 'grid'/ strips, will cause a change in direction of the magnetic lines of force, depending on how far off magetic north/south their alignment is.

Brilliant shots RAI...no bird problems lol..?!
I'm building up....distance scares me more than water tbh..!
I wish i could edit, upload ....all those clever things...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nordrand