DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Water

Will you be flying over fresh water or salt water? If salt water, stay higher and try to avoid ocean spray. Also, try not to launch from a beach, launch further away, and then overfly the beach.

In either case, try to use a tracking device, and maybe a getrback, if you can get them in Ireland. Will you be regularly flying over water?

Sand and salt water are the enemies of all drones. Just a grain of sand in your gimbal motors can cause your gimbal to overload.

Ok, now that I have scared you to death, go and have fun lol

Last edited:
Hee hee.!!
Umm..salt..irish sea..windy generally....rocky foreshore but good concrete path to launch from
..I'm trying to upload a file but haven't managed editing yet either and they're all to big..I'll work on that..!

Attachments

• DJI_0121.JPG
    DJI_0121.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 75
Reactions: Former Member
Oh dear..yes, well that's me..the sea is behind lol..

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2019-02-25-12h16m56s276.png
    vlcsnap-2019-02-25-12h16m56s276.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 56
I fly over water 99% of the time, really it’s just the same as flying over land. Just watch out for our flying friends ie, gulls etc there our enemy..?

Our feathered friends are more active at duck/dawn, scary when you see how close they are on your screen just before taking a photo.... but that’s the same I suppose to flying over land, pigeons......

Brilliant..where'd you get that..? Twitter..?!
(Sorry..couldn't resist...it's been a long night ...!)

Lol, Your sense of humour reminds me of another member on this forum ??

You ain’t got a brother who lives in Wales by any chance??

.....that's you being humourous..?!
....or....do i actually have a brother in Wales ..?!
Sorry..it's now a hard night's day and sleep is close lol...and yes, sorry, i apologise far too often...

.....that's you being humourous..?!
....or....do i actually have a brother in Wales ..?!
Sorry..it's now a hard night's day and sleep is close lol...and yes, sorry, i apologise far too often...

Your sense of humour is brilliant? we have another member on here with the same but he lives in Wales, you both could be brothers.??

Is there anything intrinsically different about fling over water, other than the obvious difficulties if you go down..?
As long as you're flying high enough to keep the drone from getting wet, there is no difference. Just make sure you have sufficient battery power whenever flying over water so you don't experience an unplanned landing into the water.

Umm..salt..irish sea..windy generally....rocky foreshore but good concrete path to launch from
It might be that the concrete path will cause you more problems than the sea! We have seen several mishaps on this forum caused by magnetic 'drag' due to steel reinforcing in concrete. The effect is that when the Mavic sets itself up before takeoff, it does so in a magnetic environment not aligned with the Earth's natural mag' field. When it ascends, it suddenly discovers the misalignment and see's it as a control error, which can then have pretty bad consequences! If you use the concrete path as a landing strip, look at your compass [before take-off] down at the bottom left of Go4, and make sure that the arrow point is actually pointing the same way that the nose of the Mavic is ... If the alignment's not the same, that's an indication of magnetic drag, and you'd be best taking off somewhere else ...
My over-water experience is with rivers - and all I can add is that my Mavic Pro Platinum, has some issues maintaining height above the water when it's down below about 3 metres. I believe that the down-facing cameras find it difficult to tell what and where the surface is ...

Thanks for those last two...I've noticed hints of both those problems..ie maintaining height and one harder than i was expecting landing...which nearly had me crying..

Bush , concrete, water(salt or fresh) carparks, high voltage wires, birdstrike all have a common denominator if it goes wrong. Dont be afraid to fly over large bodies of water .

Reactions: Dronage
Is there anything intrinsically different about fling over water, other than the obvious difficulties if you go down..?
In my opinion the actual flying, no. Planning for the flight, yes. I try to locate "bail out" locations to land where recovery is possible by ME. I don't tempt fate by getting real close to the water.

Reactions: Dronage
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAMNIGHT