DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing on a rocking boat with the new software upgrade Mini4pro

Dronerock

Reactions
I understand with the latest firmware upgrade that the landing sensors can be turned off which can help with boat landing. Have any members used this feature instead of hand retrieving. I find hand retrieval can lead to the drone reacting by flying away if it has noticed any movement which isn’t good when there is water surrounding the drone. It doesn’t give one a great deal of confidence. I was hoping to hear from people who have tried the removal of the down sensors and if there is anything that one should be aware of with this.

• Wow
Reactions: Wild Drone Pilot
I understand with the latest firmware upgrade that the landing sensors can be turned off which can help with boat landing. Have any members used this feature instead of hand retrieving. I find hand retrieval can lead to the drone reacting by flying away if it has noticed any movement which isn’t good when there is water surrounding the drone. It doesn’t give one a great deal of confidence. I was hoping to hear from people who have tried the removal of the down sensors and if there is anything that one should be aware of with this.
This was a switchable software option with older Mavics using GO4: 'landing protection'. My Mav. 2's used to balk when I tried to hand-land, so I switched it off four years ago. Never switched it back on. Result: no skittish drone jerking violently away from the five-fingered 'obstacle' and (touch wood) a controlled landing every time. I'd still be inclined to stick to hand-landing.... especially on a pitching boat deck.

With my Mini 3Pro: there is the same aggressive avoidance response you encounter, to get around this - I'll bring the drone down to head height, yaw 180° so the front is facing away, back it up slightly to one side of me, reach up diagonally from behind the battery (blind spot), grip the battery clips gently with thumb and forefinger, support the rear belly with the middle finger and hold the left stick down until the motors quit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dronerock
This was a switchable software option with older Mavics using GO4: 'landing protection'. My Mav. 2's used to balk when I tried to hand-land, so I switched it off four years ago. Never switched it back on. Result: no skittish drone jerking violently away from the five-fingered 'obstacle' and (touch wood) a controlled landing every time. I'd still be inclined to stick to hand-landing.... especially on a pitching boat deck.

With my Mini 3Pro: there is the same aggressive avoidance response you encounter, to get around this - I'll bring the drone down to head height, yaw 180° so the front is facing away, back it up slightly to one side of me, reach up diagonally from behind the battery (blind spot), grip the battery clips gently with thumb and forefinger, support the rear belly with the middle finger and hold the left stick down until the motors quit.
That is how I catch my mini 3 Pro , cheers Len

Regardless of the sensors, its very tricky on the boat and I would consider making something like this but not as elaborate or as big is needed for that drone. I may start making a smaller and cheaper one but this really makes it a safer experience on the boat.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

This is what I do with my Mini 3 Pro and I find it works pretty well, especially if I only apply a light amount of left-stick-down input. If I jam the stick to the full down position I find that the drone has a tendency to buck.

This makes me wonder how difficult it is to hand catch the Mini 4 with its 360 degree obstacle avoidance....

I understand with the latest firmware upgrade that the landing sensors can be turned off which can help with boat landing.
I just had a wild thought about boat landings - has anyone tried tying a string or lightweight rope around the drone that dangles down a foot or two? You could then hover the drone near the boat, grab the string, and kill the props. Seems like it might be a more fool-proof method.? I'm probably missing a gotcha in there somewhere, though...

Dronerock, if you have an assistant …great👍. Otherwise, the sea, the wind, the size of the boat, and the boats status…stopped or still moving all factor in to a safe /secure landing. Yes, disable object avoidance if you’re able. I tried it last summer out on the Pacific Coast and I felt I was seasoned enough to do it by myself…NOT. Fortunately my son, a fellow drone pilot came to my rescue up on the bow and we brought it in with some teamwork. I was flying a mini 3 pro.

Good luck

🇨🇦 👍

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne