DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waterproofing?

notadrop

Reactions
Living in an area where a squall can break out when you least expect it, I decided to investigate ways to limit water ingress.
I've seen 'waterproof jackets' for sale on this site via @Phantomrain.org. Anybody with 1st hand experience of these?
I also saw this article about sealing up exterior and circuit boards
Again anybody had a go?
My wife suggested a plastic bag???? I didnt point out the obvious.
Thanks
Paul

Living in an area where a squall can break out when you least expect it, I decided to investigate ways to limit water ingress.
I've seen 'waterproof jackets' for sale on this site via @Phantomrain.org. Anybody with 1st hand experience of these?
I also saw this article about sealing up exterior and circuit boards
Again anybody had a go?
My wife suggested a plastic bag???? I didnt point out the obvious.
Thanks
Paul
Well, the documentation says not to operate in the rain. But I do see a lot of ads for "rain coats" for our drones. But I don't see how they protect the motors since the ones on my Air 2S for example are open to the air and I wouldn't want water to get into them too much.

Reactions: New England Droning
@notadrop ,actually when it comes to the motors themselves water will not really do a lot of harm to them ,during a flight ,the main areas for concern ,when it comes to water ingress are the internal electronics ,associated components, and the battery,

@notadrop ,actually when it comes to the motors themselves water will not really do a lot of harm to them ,during a flight ,the main areas for concern ,when it comes to water ingress are the internal electronics ,associated components, and the battery,
Thanks for the feedback. I was concerned that the open coils and bearings might be damaged by moisture, or corrosion if not dried after use.

Highly suspect behavior.

Yes, there are decent rain suits for your drone available but if you've ever actually spent any time or traveled by foot for any distance in the rain (even in a North Face Gore-Tex Jacket) you'll notice immediately that NO protection will keep you 100% dry. Water finds its way inside your neck and seams and wrists and before you know it, you're soaked!

Just the humidity of your body drenches you INSIDE your waterproof parka and its now sealed inside. lol

I've hiked over 7k miles in the mountains in my life on several 6 month extended expeditions (see my sig) and I'm here to tell you as an expert NO rain jacket will keep you 100% dry. humph. They don't work unless you're skipping along in your neighborhood in a light mist for x number of minutes.

My point is that these rain suits aren't worth it in ANY WAY personally (if it's YOUR money) unless someone else is paying for the drone and its operating under intense pressure. Meaning; search and rescue, powerline repair, natural disaster reconnaissance, etc.

If it's your money, flying in the rain is always a losing proposition once time settles in.

The battery in my opinion is the weakest point. As long as the battery is protected you are almost fine.
The motors are not problem. After used them on the rain or fresh water, just dry them with air can. If is saltwater then you need to rinse the motor with fresh water and then dry them.

The camera is not concern if get wet since can negotiate water but the lens can get foggy. Just remove the lens filter and clean it with alcohol or your favorite camera lens cleaning kit.

The drone internals boards DJI did a really good job protecting them. The top vents are the other weakest point but can be protected with a suite as well.

Highly suspect behavior.

Yes, there are decent rain suits for your drone available but if you've ever actually spent any time or traveled by foot for any distance in the rain (even in a North Face Gore-Tex Jacket) you'll notice immediately that NO protection will keep you 100% dry. Water finds its way inside your neck and seams and wrists and before you know it, you're soaked!

Just the humidity of your body drenches you INSIDE your waterproof parka and its now sealed inside. lol

I've hiked over 7k miles in the mountains in my life on several 6 month extended expeditions (see my sig) and I'm here to tell you as an expert NO rain jacket will keep you 100% dry. humph. They don't work unless you're skipping along in your neighborhood in a light mist for x number of minutes.

My point is that these rain suits aren't worth it in ANY WAY personally (if it's YOUR money) unless someone else is paying for the drone and its operating under intense pressure. Meaning; search and rescue, powerline repair, natural disaster reconnaissance, etc.

If it's your money, flying in the rain is always a losing proposition once time settles in.
The rainsuite is probably not for everybody. There are people that does not have the value of it because does not want to fly the drone in the rain. I understand that.

There are people that make money with the drone and need to take chances or people like photographers that will like to have videos or photos from the raining weather or cold weather and need an extra protections.

Living in Florida, the weather change very quickly and I see the value a rainsuit but in top of that, its really looks cool on the drone.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
The rainsuite is probably not for everybody. There are people that does not have the value of it because does not want to fly the drone in the rain. I understand that.

There are people that make money with the drone and need to take chances or people like photographers that will like to have videos or photos from the raining weather or cold weather and need an extra protections.

Living in Florida, the weather change very quickly and I see the value a rainsuit but in top of that, its really looks cool on the drone.
I think thats what I just said. lol

I don't care how you want to protect it I'm here to tell you I will bet you a HUNDRED dollars to a doughnut that my drone that I don't intentionally fly in the rain with a "wetsuit" will outlast yours every single time after time. Youll NEVER outlast a drone that doesn't fly in inclement weather.

It's pretty binary.

If you need to fly in the Rain, you have to protect the Battery and the Power Button as well as the Landing Sensor and Redirect the Air Flow of the Vents.

Since the Motors and Camera are not an issue this is why the Wet Suits Focus so much on the other parts of the drone that are the Weak Link.

To see how fragile the Battery is you can run the Power Button under the Tap water for a few Seconds and once the light starts flashing that battery is Compromised. Takes about 15 Seconds with direct Water.

If you get water in the Battery you will get the Warning : Battery has Disconnected from the Controller and the Drone will Crash .

This is why the Air tight Seal on the battery is so needed both on the Battery and the Power Button and where the Wet Suits put much of the Focus on.

Yeah, if you need to fly in the Rain , the Wet Suit is going to get you back safe on all your flights as well as protect the Battery from being Jeopardized on each flight.

We offer a nice package for the Forum Members as everyone is upgraded to the Twilight Package which comes with # 3 Colors and # 3 Air Tight Battery Covers and # all 3 Color Designs.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Last edited:
Reactions: tokertm and zeusfl
Thanks for the feedback. I was concerned that the open coils and bearings might be damaged by moisture, or corrosion if not dried after use.
Fun Fact: We have never wiped down to dry a single Drone or lens after a flight in the Rain with the Wet Suit . The Camera and drones remain flawless.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: tokertm and zeusfl
Hi Folks
I need to clarify why I started this thread. I bought my drone with the main intention of filming short trips around lanes ,tracks and minor roads on my motorbike here in Scotland. Any one who has been here has no doubt at sometime said/thought 'where the hell did that come from?' A sudden downpour or shower gets you....then it's gone....and no obvious weather system has sped in and sped off. Just a lonely cloud who spotted you and thought 'Oh yes!'.
So that is what I want protection from. Get caught in rain. Get the bike stopped, hop off, drone down...tickety boo. Personally I have no intention of flying if I think it will, or its forecast to rain.
Having read the DIY article....not for me. I would end up with 'extra' parts on reassembly.
What has caught my attention, and I have placed an order with in the good ol' U S of A, is a Phantom rain.org wetsuit. I've read up, watched the video and heard the reports. Ive been in touch with Coal from Phantom rain and he was very helpful. Thanks Coal. It's going to do all I need and more. Looking forward to it and will report back if/ or when I get caught.
Cheers
Paul

Hi Folks
I need to clarify why I started this thread. I bought my drone with the main intention of filming short trips around lanes ,tracks and minor roads on my motorbike here in Scotland. Any one who has been here has no doubt at sometime said/thought 'where the hell did that come from?' A sudden downpour or shower gets you....then it's gone....and no obvious weather system has sped in and sped off. Just a lonely cloud who spotted you and thought 'Oh yes!'.
So that is what I want protection from. Get caught in rain. Get the bike stopped, hop off, drone down...tickety boo. Personally I have no intention of flying if I think it will, or its forecast to rain.
Having read the DIY article....not for me. I would end up with 'extra' parts on reassembly.
What has caught my attention, and I have placed an order with in the good ol' U S of A, is a Phantom rain.org wetsuit. I've read up, watched the video and heard the reports. Ive been in touch with Coal from Phantom rain and he was very helpful. Thanks Coal. It's going to do all I need and more. Looking forward to it and will report back if/ or when I get caught.
Cheers
Paul
Exactly the same reason for me down in Cornwall. The weather here is so erratic over the winter and it's frustrating. Just waiting on my wetsuit to arrive in the next week or so.
Not going to worry about the rain again :)

Reactions: notadrop
Well, the documentation says not to operate in the rain. But I do see a lot of ads for "rain coats" for our drones. But I don't see how they protect the motors since the ones on my Air 2S for example are open to the air and I wouldn't want water to get into them too much.
I've seen the videos that Phantom has and for the length of a battery he has it hovering over his deck in torrential rains... Until I saw that I would feel a drop while flying trying to get lightning strikes but would run/beat feet, home as fast as my drone (mini2) could fly...
Now I worry a little less but since I don't have a waterproof skin on the drone, I don't "try" to stay out in the rain.

I've seen the videos that Phantom has and for the length of a battery he has it hovering over his deck in torrential rains... Until I saw that I would feel a drop while flying trying to get lightning strikes but would run/beat feet, home as fast as my drone (mini2) could fly...
Now I worry a little less but since I don't have a waterproof skin on the drone, I don't "try" to stay out in the rain.
The drone itself seems pretty well sealed. But the battery compartment doesn't have any weatherstripping to stop water ingress and I would be afraid that rain could easily drip down into that compartment and cause some issues. Some tape or a fitted shower cap (raincoat LOL) would probably help.

So every drone is different , the battery is not an issue on the Mini 2 but the Power Button on the bottom is the Weak link and once that starts blinking ,, its game over.

You also have the Open Ports in the back and they can cause some serious ESC errors as well which most likely you will need a new main board especially if the camera starts shaking .

Phantomrain.org

Reactions: New England Droning
So every drone is different , the battery is not an issue on the Mini 2 but the Power Button on the bottom is the Weak link and once that starts blinking ,, its game over.

You also have the Open Ports in the back and they can cause some serious ESC errors as well which most likely you will need a new main board especially if the camera starts shaking .

Phantomrain.org
Which is why I would not put my drone up in the rain like you did without a rain cover of some sort. I love to launch when storms are "nearby" but not overhead (within a mile or so. Depending on intensity and conditions I can get some great thunderheads and possibly a lightning strike (in the distance) or better yet a rainbow as the storm clears.
But I do not plan to try or desire to fly in the rain.
This is near enough for me... The droneReleasing Mother Nature's Fury.jpg came down dry (mostly)

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4