DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoint mission from different take-off location

izometric

Reactions
I was wondering how can I fly a waypoint mission if I am forced to take off from a different location/altitude from the one that I used to set the waypoints in the first place?

I mean I would like the drone to be at the same altitude in the waypoints mission regardless of the point of take-off.

Does anyone have any advice/trick on how to achieve that?

Thanks.

Reactions: Paul Harvey
@izometric if you took off from a different position,the drone will still fly that saved mission ,
but of course the heights above the take off point ,would be different ,depending on their relationship ,from the original take off point ,so you would have to be careful, if you were taking off from a much lower /higher home point ,in relation to structures,and AGL heights during the mission

Reactions: careless
Yes, that was clear. I was wondering if I can do anything to account for any difference of altitude between different take-off points.

I cannot have a difference in altitude (at the waypoints location) because I am shooting a hyper lapse for a construction over one year. All frames must be taken from the same vantage point.

Can you find the height difference between takeoff points? If so, just change the waypoint altitude and POI altitude to match. If your new point is higher, then lower the mission by that amount. If lower, then raise the mission.

No, unknown altitude difference.

It is fairly clear that there is no straight forward way to match the waypoints height other than always taking off from the same point.

What I will do, I will land the drone in the original take of point (it is a large, second floor, open terrace), to which I do not have access during weekends, I will allow the drone to acquire a new home point, then I will take-off from that location and run the mission.

Yes, that was clear. I was wondering if I can do anything to account for any difference of altitude between different take-off points.

I cannot have a difference in altitude (at the waypoints location) because I am shooting a hyper lapse for a construction over one year. All frames must be taken from the same vantage point.
Fly the path and record the altitude at each point. Then create your waypoint mission and include the adjustments for altitude!

Altitude at each point is referenced to the altitude of the take-off point which is unknown.
There is an easy way to find the difference. Takeoff from the new location. Fly to the balcony, but only as high as the floor.
Make sure the gimbal is centered and level. The indicated altitude is the difference between the two. Then create a new mission by changeing the altitudes as I outlined above. Save as mission *name*2. Check both to make sure correct of altitude. Run #1 from balcony, #2 from second location.