DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoints are here!

Yes, haven't figured it out yet. Waypoints start at 164' but if I try to edit max altitude becomes 65'
Unless the aircraft is connected and powered on you can't select a height above 65feet!

I've no idea why. It's dangerous as if you disconnect and tap on a waypoint it brings it down to below what could be tree height.

It also means your are having to leave the mavic powered on all the time you are planning the route. Wasting battery and letting the whole thing heat up.

The Litchi method is much better. Offline and no hurry to plan your flight.

Waypoints, Litchi and Jerky Footage

I upgraded, aircraft, remote a 5 batteries without issue and had no flight problems with the new firmware. I flew a couple of 6 waypoint missions with single a POI which worked without issue.

First of all credit to DJI for adding back waypoints and improving on the original feature set with the MP1 The interface itself is easy to understand and use but does have a few issues.

Firstly, you can’t set the height of waypoints above 65 feed unless you have the aircraft turned on. This effectively means you need to have the Mavic running down its battery and getting hot all the time you are designing your mission. This is not ideal as a complex mission with multiple POIs may take quite a while to set up.

The interface is very fiddly to use – even on my 9.4” iPad. It would be even worse on a iPad mini or a 5” phone or crystal sky. The map in satellite image mode will not allow you to zoom in far enough to select/move waypoints that are close together. I had a POI I wanted to move and every time I tried to click on the POI it either added another waypoint (which I then couldn’t delete) or added another POI. I ended up with 14 POIs and had to resort to deleting everything and reloading. In map mode you can zoom in slightly more but not much.

It’s great you can save your work too, but unfortunately you can’t give it a name – so locating which mission to load later will rely on remembering when you saved or how many waypoints.

So, just for comparison and designed the same mission in Litchi, standing in the same location with my hands now much colder. What a difference!!

It really is night and day. The Litchi map zooms in much tighter and I had no problem selecting individual points, moving or deleting them or configuring their individual properties. Not once did I add an unwanted point or select the wrong point to edit. The projected path (including the smooth turns) was clearly displayed and the whole experience was a joy to use. (the Go4 had been very frustrating!). I cannot stress enough how much better the interface is (and many more options too) – and of course you don’t need the aircraft or controller on so I could have sat in my car doing it too.

However…… and here’s the real kicker….NEITHER OF THE PROGRAMS PRODUCED USABLE FOOTAGE!!

In both cases, although the aircraft flew perfectly the left-right panning of the camera while following the POI was incredibly jerky – like someone’s first attempt at flying! Completely unusable even when I flew the missions a second time much slower. Both Litchi and DJI were the same – which tends to support Litchis claim that it’s a problem with the DJI API controller. L

If the rain keeps off I will try another test with AutiPilot which doesn’t use the DJI controller but does require a degree in astrophysics to understand!

At the moment I’m very disappointed.

VERY well written description of your first experience with DJI Waypoints compared to Litchi. Requiring the user to keep the aircraft powered up and connected is a deal breaker. Seems to me, DJI needs to implement something like Litchi's Mission Hub to be competitive.

Again, well done and thanks.

Reactions: ff22 and Point Zero
VERY well written description of your first experience with DJI Waypoints compared to Litchi. Requiring the user to keep the aircraft powered up and connected is a deal breaker. Seems to me, DJI needs to implement something like Litchi's Mission Hub to be competitive.

+1

Well, I set up a simple waypoint mission with Hanger's Autopilot and stood in the corner of the field like a Muppet for half hour trying to get the thing to engage. It just refused to calibrate the altimeter.

Then I discovered it doesn't support the Mavic 2 and looks like its not being developed any more :-(

Duh!

I don't know why waypoints are such a big deal. Litchi has that option for years on all DJI drones. Superior for missions and all waypoint flights. Just saying

Once the app has linked to the aircraft, change the flight mode to waypoint, then power down the aircraft and you can continue offline.

Anyone here has Android version of the app? It seems that DJI haven't put out the Android version yet.
Please confirm if you have the same information or if you have the Android version with waypoints 2.0
Thanks

Anyone here has Android version of the app? It seems that DJI haven't put out the Android version yet.
Please confirm if you have the same information or if you have the Android version with waypoints 2.0
Thanks

Some have, some have not.

i was able to upgrade M2Z via DJI GO4 without any problems. Updating DJI GO4 app to current was a different story. I had to delete app and download. I forgot to save flight records before I did this so I may have lost some flight data. Waiting for better weather to test waypoint 2.

sorry for asking in 2 different threads - i did not notice this one. have anybody here tried it with a new smartcontroller? if it is possible to edit waypoints without drone powered up - how do you get to that screen? it does not show me the menu for intelligent flight modes when not connected to the vehicle.

Intelligent flight modes are only available when RC is connected to AC. Waypoint is part of intelligent flight modes.

APKMirror is often another source, but they don't have 4.3.12 yet.

I'm uploading it to them now. They'll need to review it before it's published.

Reactions: bomberuk
They just accepted and published my upload of 4.3.12 which I obtained when the firmware update was released.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kueaue