DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoints-max height reached

Well, bit of a 'nothing burger' update. DJI's professional team or what ever they call themselves hadn't got back to me and it's been a week now so I got back on 'chat' to see what's going on. After being on hold for some time they said I need to do another screen recording etc! Then I received this email:
"Could you please take another screen recording of the issue and then send it to us with the exact flight time and date of the test for our professional team?

Please synchronize flight records to the server, and provide the corresponding DJI account. Along with the RC log and aircraft log please.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding. If there is anything you want to confirm with us, please feel free to tell us, and all of us will try our best to assist you with."

So I set up a new waypoint mission last night, same as before ie not connected to drone, then flew it this morning and .... it worked perfectly. I then tried to fly the failed mission and it still didn't work so I went through the waypoint settings again for that mission and ..... yep, I screwed up! I had one of the waypoints set to 396ft. My max alt setting is 393ft. I can't set it any higher without going over 400, it just toggles between 393 and 410, no in-between.
I now need to look at why it took off, climbed and try to fly straight into a tree, I didn't think it was supposed to be even going in that direction. Live and learn!

Keep in mind you don't need the max height setting for any operational reason, and a WP mission will stay below 400' if designed properly.

IMO, the height limit setting is a bad "crutch", and should be set to max (500m/1640ft) and left there. It only keeps you below it's setting over takeoff height, not AGL, so you have to learn to obey this rule by "eyeball" anyway, and the height limit simply becomes something that can unnecessary interfere with your flight, as happened here.

Again, my opinion.

Reactions: KBF
Keep in mind you don't need the max height setting for any operational reason, and a WP mission will stay below 400' if designed properly.

IMO, the height limit setting is a bad "crutch", and should be set to max (500m/1640ft) and left there. It only keeps you below it's setting over takeoff height, not AGL, so you have to learn to obey this rule by "eyeball" anyway, and the height limit simply becomes something that can unnecessary interfere with your flight, as happened here.

Again, my opinion.
That's a good point actually, I hadn't thought of that.

If you have Litchi, the Hub can be used to plan missions with approximate actual AGL values at waypoints. It uses Google Maps terrain values, I think.

Other members have hacked up some tools to convert Litchi missions to DJI waypoint missions, and these can be imported to Android DJI Fly, and the DJI RC. The RC2 might have been cracked by now too.

If you can use this workflow, Litchi may well be worth the price just for the Mission Hub, even if your drone isn't supported to fly with the Litchi app.

Reactions: KBF
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne