DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

We are not the target market for the Mini

Lastrexking

Reactions
The majority of members on this site are already drone owners. We’re either pro users of prosumers who own Mavic Pro or Air models amongst other craft. I suspect a lot of us own multiple drones?

in photography terms we are the people that would buy a DSLR and all of the lenses and accessories to accompany it.

The Mini is aimed at those who are happy to take photos on their phones. It is the drone equivalent of a point and shoot designed to get people into the hobby. Nobody would buy a point and shoot and lament the fact you can’t change a lens.

I expect Mini shot videos to be uploaded onto Facebook and Instagram more than anywhere else.

That doesn’t make it a bad drone. It isn’t. In the right hands it will still produce great content.

They said the same of the Spark, yet there are loads of Mavic Pro/2Pro/Air users out there who love their spark for what it is. I think DJI really did not expect that back then.

Reactions: JS1600
This could have been, should have been, the ideal pocket size companion for larger drown owners. Better to have a feature and not need it than not have one and need it.

I have to disagree.

Mavic Mini is a great addition.
For example here in Switzerland I am allowed to fly over crouds of people and near airports with a quad below 500g weight.
So Mavic Mini allows me shots that I couldn't do with a Mavic Pro which is a big plus...

Plus the tiny size of the entire pack allows me to take it truly anywhere.
2019_Drohnenguide_V3_gross_multi_en.jpg

the most important consideration for this drone was weight, it would not have been possible to reach the target weight if it had been function rich,it is a basic drone that will ,out shoot ,and outperform many drones of a similar size, i agree with @Lastrexking it is low cost drone for beginners and as such it will not appeal to most of us on the forum,as we already have the best of the best so lets stop knocking the little fella, and instead be amazed at what DJI have managed to achieve in such a small and light package

I’d say target audience is those who travel and don’t want to get in trouble in a foreign country.
But, most countries laws still apply. The only difference is it doesn’t (currently) have to be registered.

Reactions: Mavic 57
The majority of members on this site are already drone owners. We’re either pro users of prosumers who own Mavic Pro or Air models amongst other craft. I suspect a lot of us own multiple drones?

in photography terms we are the people that would buy a DSLR and all of the lenses and accessories to accompany it.

The Mini is aimed at those who are happy to take photos on their phones. It is the drone equivalent of a point and shoot designed to get people into the hobby. Nobody would buy a point and shoot and lament the fact you can’t change a lens.

I expect Mini shot videos to be uploaded onto Facebook and Instagram more than anywhere else.

That doesn’t make it a bad drone. It isn’t. In the right hands it will still produce great content.
I think it depends on how flexible you want to be and if you want to fly all of the DJI products. I own everything up to the I2 and I would consider getting one. You can't beat the price and it is so portable that it can be taken most anywhere. With the new FAA regulations the weight being under 250g is really big since it will likely allow for flying over people without much hassle and that is a BIG selling point.

As was mentioned above, it is similar to owning a Spark. Sure it can't compare to the higher end models but the Spark is fun to fly. I enjoy grabbing it and flying in Sport Mode.

Reactions: old man mavic
I think it depends on how flexible you want to be and if you want to fly all of the DJI products. I own everything up to the I2 and I would consider getting one. You can't beat the price and it is so portable that it can be taken most anywhere. With the new FAA regulations the weight being under 250g is really big since it will likely allow for flying over people without much hassle and that is a BIG selling point.

As was mentioned above, it is similar to owning a Spark. Sure it can't compare to the higher end models but the Spark is fun to fly. I enjoy grabbing it and flying in Sport Mode.
You still cannot legally fly over people or in any other prohibited ways listed in FAA regs. You just don’t have to register it... unless you add attachments (lights, landing gear, etc) that would make the drone over limits stated.

I would respectfully disagree as well. I have a M2P and I am very much in the target market for the Mini - I'll be buying one in the Spring since Winter is almost here. At 249g I can fly it many places I can't take my M2P, which means I am getting photos/video that I otherwise would not have - that is very valuable to me, even if its not the same quality as my M2P. On top of that, it's going to be an absolute blast to fly around the house/backyard or wherever else I wouldn't easily be able to use my M2P. I also do a lot of traveling and hiking where the 249g weight will be much appreciated. Some countries also have incredibly relaxed laws for light drones.

Here in Canada, the laws surrounding keeping your distance from vehicles, buildings, people etc. do not apply under 250g as long as you aren't endangering anyone, disturbing private property or being negligent.

The only thing I am really disappointed with is that I can't use my Smart Controller to control it (not that I expected to be able to), so I have to carry 2 remotes with me still.

Reactions: Drone on
You still cannot legally fly over people or in any other prohibited ways listed in FAA regs. You just don’t have to register it... unless you add attachments (lights, landing gear, etc) that would make the drone over limits stated.
As I stated, with the new FAA regulations "it will likely allow" flying over people. As per the latest NPRM, if and when adopted, any drone under 0.55 pounds would fall into category 1. Any drone in category 1 would be able to fly over people without any further restrictions.

Here is the exact text from the NPRM:
The FAA determined that small unmanned aircraft weighing less than 0.55 pounds pose a low risk of injury when operating over people. Accordingly, Category 1 is simple and straightforward: operators would be able to fly small unmanned aircraft weighing 0.55 pounds or less over people. While these operations would be subject to all of the existing requirements governing small UAS operations in part 107,12 the FAA does not propose any additional restrictions as a condition of flying over people.

So when/if these proposals are enacted, the Mavic Mini would be allowed to fly over people without any further restrictions.

Reactions: BobDoLe

I totally agree! [emoji16][emoji1303]Thumbswayup

Interestingly, the same NPRM allowing flights over people also "....proposes to amend the knowledge testing requirements in the rules that apply to small UAS operations to require training every 24 calendar months."

And there definitely are "restrictions" for drones over .55 pounds when flying over people. See page 11 for Section 2 b) of the full NPRM:

Also p12 which states "....the FAA proposes that the unmanned aircraft would not have exposed rotating parts that could lacerate human skin."

The above cite is the draft proposal, so there may be some changes.

Last edited:
Heck I originally flew a P3A (still have it), then splurged and bought an M2Z. Even so I bought a Tello with Flymore and remote and case which I use to fly indoors with others less experienced and no fear of any real damage when crashed. Flymore combo and accessories probably totalled just under $200 now that I think about it.
A mini would fit the same environment as why I have the Tello and more (can't really fly the Tello well in even modest wind). However the equivalent in accessories would be $300 more for the mini.

A mini would fit the same environment as why I have the Tello and more (can't really fly the Tello well in even modest wind). However the equivalent in accessories would be $300 more for the mini.
Yep. I feel my Tello is more of an indoor guy. My issue with the Tello is the laggy video. The Mini fits a certain category though and seeing the specs it appears to be a vast improvement over the Tello. If it pans out as predicted it should be a good mid range flier provided it has good real time video like the MP or MA.

No doubt MM is a better option than Tello, but it's also $300 more.

Two of us in a drone workshop I facilitate have the Tello and let others fly it in the classroom. A third member is catching up and looking to get the Tello and accessories. I emailed her about the Mini, but I'm sure the price point will be an issue.

"We are not the target market for the Mini"

If I choose to buy it, then I'm the target market. I use a Surface Pro 6... but I also own an iPad pro. Sometimes you just want two things that are nearly the same, for slightly different reasons. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661