DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

We iPad mini dimensions are 8” y 5 1/4 !

Madmitch

Reactions
Just bought iPad mini, looking for some info and/or suggestions on what kind of holder? Or mount for my Mavic 2 Pro? There are a lot of them out there just wondering what general consensus is on what type to purchase? Any info would b greatly appreciated. The iPad is 8” long and 5 1/4 wide.

I dont have one, but if its 8" tall you can *just* fit it in the fully extended legs of the RC. It wont go all the way in, but it goes in enough. And you use a USB cable from the center port not the side port on the RC.

Yup! @Gryphon962 has it. Most people who fly with iPad Minis do it because it fits right in the grips on the remote. Just move the arms out all the way and it will slide in with a nice snug fit. No external mount necessary. Just get about a 12" USB A to Lightning cable to plug in and you're ready to fly.

Reactions: Hauptmann
I too have the Mavic 2 Pro and purchased the iPad Mini 5 specifically to use it as a controller. Yes, it will "fit" into the controller arms, but you have to really force it in, and there is considerable outward pressure on the arms because you are going to be forcing them slightly beyond their normal fully opened position.

There are quite a few mounts you can buy which will mount any tablet, including the Mini, but almost all of them mount the tablet above the controller. I didn't like having to give up my controller display because I find it easier to read some of the basic information on the controller display rather than on iPad DJI Go app, but more importantly, I find it useful to be able to see the buttons and not have to fumble around for them.

I designed my own mount and printed it on my 3D printer (I've posted this before):

Mavic 2 Pro iPad Mini 5 Mount

cbcbcefcdea02930f656514ea5e0f375_preview_featured.jpg

I realize that this is not an option for most people reading this, but I post it merely to show that it is possible to mount the pad below the controller. I think I did see at least one commercial design that mounted below, by attaching to the body rather than to the arms themselves, as I did. I don't have that link handy, but if you just do a little searching in Google you'll find it. A search on Amazon will quickly turn up over a half dozen above-controller mounts.

Thanks guys my mini iPad is the 5th generation, so it should fit with the controller spread all the way out, I’ve looked on line and they just all look cumbersome, been using phone but want just a bigger pic, I will try this evening, one more question when using a lightning cable with usb do u unhook your side port? A dumb question but there is no need for it correct?

Thanks guys my mini iPad is the 5th generation, so it should fit with the controller spread all the way out, I’ve looked on line and they just all look cumbersome, been using phone but want just a bigger pic, I will try this evening, one more question when using a lightning cable with usb do u unhook your side port? A dumb question but there is no need for it correct?

Yup! Just unplug the Micro USB cable from the left side and unthread it from the left arm if you want to have it out of the way. Then just plug into the bottom of the remote instead. Some say that bottom port gives you a more reliable connection too.

You can't hook into the side port with the supplied connector cable, because it is not quite long enough. You can use the center USB port on the controller, but then the cable drapes over the display.

So, to connect to the side mini USB port, I bought this cable:

Obeka Compatible 1FT 90 Degree Micro USB to iOS Phone Tablet OTG Data Cable Right Angle Connector Cord DJI Spark, Mavic Pro, Platinum, Air, 2 Pro, Zoom Remote Controller Accessories

It is the perfect length, and it seems quite sturdy:

My setup

Attachments

• DCC4259E-25CF-4FB7-8830-53B52BFA3CBE.jpeg
    DCC4259E-25CF-4FB7-8830-53B52BFA3CBE.jpeg
    840.2 KB · Views: 23
I do beleive you get a better connection that way with the USB port - also you can hold onto the iPad as there is a 90 degree cable - you can’t with a straight one a small it’s in the way

Yup! @Gryphon962 has it. Most people who fly with iPad Minis do it because it fits right in the grips on the remote. Just move the arms out all the way and it will slide in with a nice snug fit. No external mount necessary. Just get about a 12" USB A to Lightning cable to plug in and you're ready to fly.
Just be careful that you don't push the sport mode switch on when you open the arms up.(like I did).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flonke