DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

We need to stop calling the things we fly drones!

What should we start calling our unmanned flying toys?

• Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV)(a little broad but better)

• Small Unmanned Aerial System (SUAS)

• Helicopter (heli), Quadcopter (QC), Hexacopter (HC), Octocopter (OC)…

• Other…. Put your ideas in the thread!

• Stick with “drone”

Results are only viewable after voting.
We have to be realistic, the term drone to most implies surveillance and destruction - so why wouldn't people be concerned by thousands of new domestic "drones" invading their space. It's ok to say we need a program of "re-education" but really that's impossible, it's trying to shape mass understanding with no money - it's never going to happen. The further we can take what we fly from the word "drones" the better in my opinion. Easier to embrace a new term than fight with preconceived ideas that carry negative connotations.

The FAA got it right by calling them "unmanned aircraft" rather than drones, I'm not a Part 107 drone pilot, I'm a Part 107 unmanned aircraft systems pilot. Tell that to people and they see it completely differently.
Drones. 1.5 - 2.5 syllables, depending on how you count.

Any name with a syllable count above that, won't catch on. "Unmanned aircraft" has 4 syllables. No sale!

Note that this is linguistic observation, and not a "more accurate" observation.

:cool:

We have to be realistic, the term drone to most implies surveillance and destruction - so why wouldn't people be concerned by thousands of new domestic "drones" invading their space. It's ok to say we need a program of "re-education" but really that's impossible, it's trying to shape mass understanding with no money - it's never going to happen. The further we can take what we fly from the word "drones" the better in my opinion. Easier to embrace a new term than fight with preconceived ideas that carry negative connotations.

The FAA got it right by calling them "unmanned aircraft" rather than drones, I'm not a Part 107 drone pilot, I'm a Part 107 unmanned aircraft systems pilot. Tell that to people and they see it completely differently.

They're drones. People know them as drones.

I imagine If I told people, "I'm a Part 107 unmanned aircraft systems pilot," they'd look at me quizzically. Then, as my Mavic came in to land, they'd be like, "Oh, you mean a drone."

The association with "surveillance and destruction" you allege has nothing to do with what we call them.

That's what they call drones in Vietnam. I love the term because it's succinct and descriptive.

Kind of like the word "luggage."

Attachments

• IMG_2637.jpg
    IMG_2637.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
I call mine Quad/Quadcopter sometimes, but "Drone" is just much simpler!
Hi everyone, with all the confusion about “drones” recently, I think we need to stop calling them drones and start calling them something else. I know this idea has been thrown around for a long time but no changes have really been made. A drone is any thing from a tiny 1 inch toy from Amazon to a military UAV that is the size of an airplane, costs millions, and kills hundreds if not thousands of people.
There is an Internet company that thinks calling a drone an unmanned vehicle is sexist , they prefer the word uncrewed and use it in all articles referring to Drones , when you think of all the words that include man in it, for instance Human, bit silly of them, cheers Len

• Haha
Reactions: Mavic Merrick
There is an Internet company that thinks calling a drone an unmanned vehicle is sexist , they prefer the word uncrewed and use it in all articles referring to Drones , when you think of all the words that include man in it, for instance Human, bit silly of them, cheers Len
You can make a “ist” or “ism” out of anything these days… NOTAM is a great example of this, it went from Notice To Airmen to Notice To Air Missions because it was “sexist”

The one definition of "drone" that sticks in my mind that was not mentioned (though I may have missed it), is the mind-numb, ticket-punching, working-for-a-paycheck, cog-in-the-machine automaton that populates so many large corporation (oh, and especially government service) positions. The human equivalent of the drone bee - you have but one job, you do what you are told, and, by the way, you are entirely disposable and replaceable. Not really a complementary term!

They will always be know as drones, besides there is no sexism there unless someone decides otherwise. I am of the opinion if it's not broken leave it be. 🤓

There is nothing anywhere that says "drone" is a flying machine. The name simply comes from the noise they make but then even that kid wrong. DRONE: "A low humming noise".
Most drones make a high pitched noise like a swarm of bees so from now on mine is a Bumbling Bee Cam 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR