DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weak remote controller signal

Reactions
Hello,

based on the flights that I have done with my MAVIC Pro I do believe that the remote controller signal is for some reason too weak.
When I reach 2000m distance the radio signal is nearly completely gone and the radio controller signal bar is starting to flash. When I return the radio signal is getting better again, but the flashing continues until landing.
The video signal however is at full signal with 5 bars the whole time.
Any idea whats wrong? There is an electricity pylon 400 m in my back. But that should be far enough I guess?
There are no objects between the drone and the controller and the antennas of the controller are positioned in the correct way.

What are your experiences with distance and signal?

Thanks!

Best regards Andreas

I flew my MP today in a rural area of New Jersey. I am in a small valley. I went straight up to roughly 1000 feet directly overhead, when the DJI GO 4 app told me remote control signal was weak and I should maintain line of sight and fly with caution. This seems odd to me because I have watched folks take their drones up to 13,000 feet on YouTube flight tests. So I am dredging this forum for discussion about this. You are stating 2000 meters, or 6,560 feet..... a way greater distance than I have attempted so far.

I have discovered that if the the DJI Go 4 app crashes, you will maintain RC of the craft. I have not figured out how to restart the DJI GO 4 app and re-connect while the MP is in flight, so once the app crashes, I just stay close and complete the flight with the remote only. I believe it is called ATTI mode once the DJI GO 4 app crashes or if GPS signal is lost.

I am curious..... assuming you start the flight with the DJI GO app and everything calibrated and the Home Point updated, and you subsequently lose 100% control (both the app and the RC die or lose signal), does the drone maintain sufficient intelligence to come home? In other words once the app and the RC die, does the drone maintain all the settings you programmed at the outset of the flight and can it save itself by coming home? Personally, I would prefer RTH automatically anytime signal is lost.

There has been talk about antenna position, relating to Lost signals. Just thought I would mention that.

My antenna were both open maybe 100-110 degrees out from the plane of the controller screen and rotated outward slightly. It seems like antenna should not be a problem inside of 1000 feet. I am thinking interference from other terrestrial radio frequencies or magnetic disturbances is possible.

Here you go. This helped me.

I had mine placed at an angle like pictured so I was getting a weak signal which now makes sense since I was pointing the tip of the antenna towards where the Mavic was flying which is the weakest signal. Keep in mind it depends on how you hold your controller as well. I use a mavmount and hold my controller parallel to the ground so I should have my antenna straight up instead of bent or flat. You can re-position the antennas during flight to make sure the strongest point is towards the Mavic.

Hello,

based on the flights that I have done with my MAVIC Pro I do believe that the remote controller signal is for some reason too weak.
When I reach 2000m distance the radio signal is nearly completely gone and the radio controller signal bar is starting to flash. When I return the radio signal is getting better again, but the flashing continues until landing.
The video signal however is at full signal with 5 bars the whole time.
Any idea whats wrong? There is an electricity pylon 400 m in my back. But that should be far enough I guess?
There are no objects between the drone and the controller and the antennas of the controller are positioned in the correct way.

What are your experiences with distance and signal?

Thanks!

Best regards Andreas
Where are you located?

If in Europe, our Mavics TX power output is massively reduced to comply with EU regulations.

CE mode is limited to 0.009W while FCC is 0.4w.

I've had break ups around the 2km mark.

Edit - Just realised how old this thread is, sure OP is fine by now.

Wow. That is some awesome information. I assumed the antenna should point at the drone. Wrong! Thanks for that rather fundamental information!

Reactions: Mavic_Pete
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twixer_bear